What are you preserving?

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: What are you preserving?

97 jars, do you have a professional kitchen? What will you do with all that lot? :shock:

I can't make more than one thing at a time because the preserving pans are too big for any other pan to fit on my hob at the same time. Anyway that doesn't really matter as I'm only capable of doing one thing at a time, and it takes me all day to make one kind of chutney what with all the chopping and preparing then hours of stirring and simmering. :(

So I am totally in awe when I hear that anyone has made more than one kind of preserve in one day, let alone 4! Well done. :salute:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

boboff

Wow Thanks

I have a nice kitchen, but only a normal domestic one.

The apple sauce is just the apple pulp left over from the Curried Apple, and the curried apple is the apple I had pulped for Jams last week. I did start at 9 and finished pastuerising and labelling the jars around 6, so it was a long day.

I have some silly idea of doing some Christmas markets or something and trying to sell some as well as give as presents etc.

Still trying to get the burnt bits off the bottom of my Jam pan!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Millymollymandy

Oh well I will console myself that I've never had burnt bits on the bottom of my pan. :iconbiggrin:

I'll be doing Susie Gee's chilli jam on Sunday but at least that blitzes all the ingrdients in the food processor first so apart from measuring out sugar and peeling onions etc it won't involve so much prep work.

boboff

5lb of stewed apple for the freezer today, plus messing around with steamers and jelly bags trying to get the juice out of apples.

I found a thing that goes on the top of your Pastueriser at Vigo, I might try one of those, anyone had any experience? They are 1/3 price of the full Finnish Stainless Steamer thing, so definately more attractive at the minute. I don't want to make cider, as I still have most of last years, but I don't want to see the apples go to waste.

I made Raspberry & Apple Crumble last night, it was heavenly! (been away for a week and they needed picking and using)
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

julie_lanteri
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've made pear and walnut chutney for the first time and a few jars of jam: gooseberry, blackberry and apple, mixed berries and apple. it seems that every time I put apples in, the jam sets harder than I'd like... I need more practice!

Christine
Living the good life
Living the good life

boboff wrote:Still trying to get the burnt bits off the bottom of my Jam pan!
Try boiling up some onions in a little water. It's the only thing I've found that works without damaging the pan

red

just finished making a second batch of plum sauce (well we have the ducks in the freezer..and the glut of plums)
and a batch of plum jam :icon_smile:
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Paul_C
Tom Good
Tom Good

saturday was making 2 bottles worth of sloe gin should have been 3 but one gin bottle shattered in the bag from sainsburys. for Xmas gifts

today has been 2 jars of pickled onions for Xmas gifts

tomorrow will be a mass of mango chutney some for Xmas but most for me as i have run out again. i make 1,5l ish at a time and lasts me 5 weeks max.

Millymollymandy

Chilli jam (Susie Gee's recipe) yesterday and today will start blackcurrant and apple jelly to drip. :iconbiggrin:

Making a bit of space in my freezers! :cheers:

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

Has Susie posted her Chilli Jam recipe on here MMM (or Susie!) ? I've had a bit of a search, but can't find it.

Millymollymandy

She sent it to me privately and I've just passed it on to someone else (posted about it on fb) so I will msg you there and send you my 'converted to metric' version, but will have to wait until tomorrow as I need to get on and do stuff now.

She might see this in the meantime and post the recipe though.

boboff

I just made Chilli Chutney.
It is looking really good, and the taste I think will really benefit from maturing.
Ingredients
Lots of Apples, Runner Beans, Red Onions, Red Peppers, Celery, Malt Vinegar, Sugar, Lemon Juice, Salt, Pepper, Black Onion Seeds, Garlic, Smoked Paprika, Chilli Flakes, Walnuts, Brazil Nuts, Bananas, Sultanas, spring onion, grated carrot.

Or as I suppose I should call it, apple and what fruit and veg and stuff I had hanging around!, with chilli.

bonniethomas06

So far I have made:
apple and mint jelly (for lamb and other meat)
beetroot, cabbage and horseradish relish (why did I grow so much summer cabbage? Why?)
Delia's spicy runner bean chutney
Raspberry Jam

I have been freezing like a demon, so far I have got carrots, runners, grated courgettes, loads of passata (prefer to freeze than bottle) and broc all in the freezer, plus some stewed apple for pies/crumbles and stewed plums for the same. Mmmmm.

Next on the list - rosehip and apple jelly, lovely on toast.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Millymollymandy

Have just made blackcurrant and apple jelly, and interestingly got 0.6 litres more juice out this year than last! So now I have 15 jars of the darned stuff, and took forever to get to setting point as I couldn't boil it hard enough as there was too much liquid in my huge pan and it would have boiled over!

Today I've had enough of preserving (it's the washing up of huge bowls and saucepans that does me in!) so I am spending it in the garden in the sun. :sunny:

Then will be doing a tomato and apple and 'things' chutney at the weekend.

Hernaic Tom
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 51 N
longitude: 1 E

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w263 ... CF0589.jpg

Runner Bean Chutney!! Delicious straight after it was cooked, but we're keeping it for a couple of months before we eat the lot!!
What great colours in it too....