What are you havesting

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: What are you havesting

The squirrel stripped our hazelnut trees bare over a month ago. Darn that squirrel

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just spent a busy day harvesting different veggies for bottling and freezing, so I know pretty much what's ready in my garden.

Maincrop potatoes
Salad potatoes
French beans
Borlotto beans
Broad beans
Runner beans
Peas
Snap peas
Carrots
Onions
Spring onions
Shallots
Garlic
Melon turnips
Summer cabbage
Savoy cabbage
Tender stem broccoli
Courgettes
Butternut squash
Cucumbers
Sweetcorn by the bushel
Blueberries
Raspberries
Loganberries
Blackcurrants (still !)
Strawberries
Apples
and 11 different varieties of tomato

Curiously NO lettuce .... I missed a successional sowing. :(
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Eucalyptus leaves, my neighbour decided that his Eucalyptus tree was too close to the house (it growed and growed) so he's cut it down. Some smaller branches and leaves are in my yard in process of being stripped for dye (I hope) some to be dried some already in the pot. (not quite sure if the bark will create a different colour as yet)
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Courgettes, tons of the blighters. Running out of recipes now.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

grahamhobbs

Odsox, I see you are harvesting Borlotti beans, are these dwarf ones? My dwarf ones are almost ready although I will leave them until they are dry, but my climbing ones are very vigorous and full of leaf but almost devoid of pods.
Also do you grow melons, mine are the size of peanuts, I thought they were normally bigger than that by now.
We are not so keen.on cabbage as you seem to be, but I try not only to have lettuce 12 montHs of the year but also calabrese (every month except Jan and Feb I think).

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Graham. My Borlotti are climbing ones, dwarf French beans of any variety just rot in my high humidity so I always grow climbing to get the bean pods away from the soil. I have two different plantings of Borlotti this year, my normal position up the back wall of the greenhouse and for the first time in the polytunnel. The greenhouse ones I've been picking the dried beans for about a month now but the tunnel ones have far more lush growth and the pods only started to turn scarlet a couple of weeks ago, but now that I can actually see them there appears to be a very good crop.
Melons :angryfire: , I grew two troughs of them starting them off in my potting shed window where they set several fruits, then I moved them to the front of the greenhouse and they immediately aborted the embryo fruits and produced only male flowers. I left them there for a couple of months before chucking them out on the veg garden where they are still debating amongst themselves whether to live or die. :iconbiggrin:
I'm a tad annoyed with my lack of lettuce. Like you I grow them all year and this year I grew them continuously through the frost and snow and then when it's dead easy to grow them ... I forgot to sow follow-on for at least a month.

Last year and this year I have been growing the tenderstem broccoli which has been very successful. I'm going to try growing them though the winter this year together with some cauliflower that I have timed to head up in November ... it will be interesting to see if my calculations are anywhere near accurate. The idea is they should "hold" for longer in the cooler weather and not blow, I really hope so as I have planted 10 of them.

You can't beat a nice sweet Savoy or January King cabbage for dinner with bubble & squeak the next day. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

grahamhobbs

Hi Odsox, oh dear, what's happening to my climbing Borlotti. OK they are outside, but they went in in good time and suffered no set backs. My runners and french climbers have been a mass of flowers and pods for ages, even the butter beans, which are slower, are covered in flowers but the borlotti just masses of leaves, hardly a flower, let alone pod.
Looking at my spreadsheet we were eating melons last year in a couple of weeks at the beginning of September and that was a bad year. It does make you scratch your head this gardening lark.

phil55494
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Potatoes, courgettes, peas, kale.
The onions could be pulled if we wanted to but the apples will be a while yet.
Very envious of those with the time and space to get loads out of gardens and allotments. Still what we're getting is many times more than when we were starting out on our half plot (bare ploughed earth like everyone else on the new site).

southeast-isher

Semen!

DrewShiel
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 53.37186
longitude: -6.59566

We've got peas coming in in large quantities. Well, I say "in", they rarely make it to the house, but there're still lots of them. The courgettes are in full blast, the blueberries are doing well, and there are even a few somewhat unexpected strawberries from plants we put in this year. We've also had some of the spinach beet.

There are some blackberries in the garden hedge, too, which are always a nice bonus. Actually, they're growing very well from a bramble I cut back last year, so I think some more strategic pruning and maybe some layering might be worth trying there.

And we found several of what are either damson or bullace trees at the weekend (maybe some of each) depending on your definitions, so that'll be getting some attention soon as well.

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

nuts nuts and more hazel nuts
loads of tomatoes and runner beans
the first of me cabbage is ready to
Darn that Wabbit

bonniethomas06

New just in at our plot...

Red cabbage
rainbow chard
few leuttices (but I am sick of 'em now)
Cavollo nero kale
carrots
beetroot
raspberries/few strawbs still
parsley/corriander/dill/basil
tomatoes
cucumbers
red/green peppers
courgettes and other squashes
potatoes
onions (red and white) and garlic

And I am absolutely CHUFFED to bits that I have 5 gorgeous bright orange pumpkins which are almost ready! Sweetcorn is getting there. Not a sign of a butternut squash though :-(
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Millymollymandy

Walnuts and apples and a few hazelnuts too. There are so many nuts this year even the thieving red squirrels can't cope. :lol: My deceased neighbour's tree (property is up for sale) which overhangs my orchard has dropped nuts everywhere - normally he used to come and collect them but I am crunching all over them - and don't need them as my own trees down the other end of the orchard are totally loaded.

The apples trees are so overloaded too I don't know what we are going to do with them all - and I can't seem to give them away cos everyone else has got loads!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Blackberries and green tomatoes.........lots of green tomatoes :roll:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Millymollymandy

But Maggie at least that's an improvement on radishes! :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/