We will try to ID your mushrooms here

Want your Mushroom ID? Ask here and also look at some of the old posts here to see what you might have. Make sure you use a field guide and triple check using google images.
Carltonian Man
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: We will try to ID your mushrooms here

Could be Agaricus Augustus Al, but being as it’s a young fruitbody it would be wise to check the others as they grow and mature. Also worth bearing in mind there are a few exotics coming in on imported bark chippings.

Slippery Jack
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

@BIg Al; Another possibility would be Agaricus sylvaticus, the Blushing Wood Mushroom. They look much like your photo. Does it stain red when cut? If so, they're very tasty, intensely flavoured mushrooms. Do heed Carltonian Man's words of caution though.

That's my two-cents worth anyway. :)

Big Al

Slippery Jack wrote:@BIg Al; Another possibility would be Agaricus sylvaticus, the Blushing Wood Mushroom. They look much like your photo. Does it stain red when cut? If so, they're very tasty, intensely flavoured mushrooms. Do heed Carltonian Man's words of caution though.

That's my two-cents worth anyway. :)
Not sure as I took the photos then forgot to post them here. Eventually after 3 weeks I've remembered so the m/room went out in the bin by that time. I'll check again when I see some more. Thanks for the input.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

redline8400
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thelephora, Sparassis or other?

My first post in this forum! I'm as new as newbies get with fungi... I've found an interesting looking fungi but can't id it for sure. I'm leaning towards Thelephora Palamata, but the specimen was quite large (I've cut a portion off...), maybe 10 inches across and growing at the base of a deciduous tree (which makes me think it's really not a Sparassis) between a large root and some leaf mold.

Thanks for the help!
IMG_7702.jpeg
IMG_7702.jpeg (96.88 KiB) Viewed 13995 times
IMG_7696.jpeg
IMG_7696.jpeg (98.64 KiB) Viewed 13995 times
IMG_7703.jpeg
IMG_7703.jpeg (106.84 KiB) Viewed 13995 times

Dubbermart
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hello poeple i have recenly noticed these mushrooms growing at work outside, next to a polytunnel, i had a look on the net and they look very much like morels i was wondering if someone could confirm this? i am based in the uk.

Cheers

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

fungi2bwith
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Yes these are a type of morel. They are morchella elata. I found some yesterday too.

Dubbermart
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

fungi2bwith wrote:Yes these are a type of morel. They are morchella elata. I found some yesterday too.
Cool thanks so are they edible? And what is the best way to use them in cooking? Also would I be able to sell them for a good price? What is the best way to pick them? Sorry for all the questions lol.

fungi2bwith

Yes morchella elata is edible. They can be dried which can intensify the flavour or they can be cooked like most other mushrooms (they have been known to cause stomach upsets if eaten raw). I had some tonight fried with St George's mushrooms, onion, bacon, Kale and a little fennel seed.

hedgewizard

Getting the grit out of them can be fun though!
http://www.farminmypocket.co.uk - polytunnel offers, reviews, and more self-sufficiency information than you can shake a chicken at

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

I found these growing in my store room (cellar-type space):
They're about 5 com across. Here are some close-up pictures:
They don't seem to have gills as such.
But they do have fabulous rolled up edges.

I've looked at a few websites, but I can't find anything like them. Any ideas?
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

kit-e-kate
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hiya, after a quick look in the Collins Gem guide, :study:, I think it could be Peziza Cerea? Apparently its preferred habitat is damp mortar and soil and its common in cellars. :icon_smile:

kit-e-kate
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Thelephora, Sparassis or other?

redline8400 wrote: I'm leaning towards Thelephora Palamata
Hi! According to the Collins Gem book :study: (Again!), thelephora palmata should smell of onion! Guess whatever it was its in the bin by now, but it might help for next time!

Funny looking thing, Could it have been Hen-of-the-woods maybe?

HTH
Kate :icon_smile:

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

kit-e-kate wrote:Hiya, after a quick look in the Collins Gem guide, :study:, I think it could be Peziza Cerea? Apparently its preferred habitat is damp mortar and soil and its common in cellars. :icon_smile:
Thanks. The location's certainly right, but I'd be a bit more convinced if I could find any pictures of peziza cerea with the edges rolling outwards. Maybe something related?
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

kit-e-kate
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Zech wrote:
kit-e-kate wrote:Hiya, after a quick look in the Collins Gem guide, :study:, I think it could be Peziza Cerea? Apparently its preferred habitat is damp mortar and soil and its common in cellars. :icon_smile:
Thanks. The location's certainly right, but I'd be a bit more convinced if I could find any pictures of peziza cerea with the edges rolling outwards. Maybe something related?
Yeah, i wondered about that, but thought it might be a maturity/immaturity thing? Really weird looking things aren't they? :icon_smile:

green_pea
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Just found this big fella down by the back of the garage.

Next to my rather scruffy foot for sizing, it's about 25-30cm across.

The underside looks like fresh bread when it's torn apart, rather than gills.

The stalk has like darker mottled bits on:

Any ideas? I thought maybe Boletus sp. but :dontknow: