A question about my pondlife

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
Keaniebean
A selfsufficientish Regular

A question about my pondlife

I had lots of fantastic frog spawn in my pond this year and watched it every day until it turned into lots of lovely tadpoles. That was in April - ish, however I have just had a skimming session of weeds that seem to grow over the top and my tadpoles are still tadpoles rather than baby frogs :dontknow:

I am officially confused as they don't even have any form of legs yet, does anyone have any idea whats wrong? Is is food, water, or am I destined not to have baby frogs at all :( I thought the cycle was about 8 weeks from hatching to froglet and it has been at least 9.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions welcome :icon_smile:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Re: A question about my pondlife

Mine too. I think it takes rather longer than that. Last year they didn't become froglets for months. Perhaps it's the species of frog? Great fun watching them though and the cats think it's Feline TV.

Zoe

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not all tadpoles necessarily turn into frogs at the expected time or, ultimately, in their first season. They can, and do, extend their tadpoleship, even to the point of hibernating in the mud at the bottom of the pond, especially in years during which, for whatever reason, food is in short supply or, perversely, if too many tadpoles have survived. Those that have already turned into froglets may already have left the pond, to return next mating season - they spend most of their lives in damp places, but not in ponds. You'll be able to tell if this happened next year - in amongst your little taddies will be a handful of bloody huge ones.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Henwoman
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 3° 11' W
longitude: 48° 20' N

Lots and lot of damsel/dragon flies this year here. Small, large, green, red, blue, yellow - you name it we have it.

SaveSomeGreen
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

it has been very odd in the pond this year.. didn't even get any spawn and had loads last year.. lord knows what's going on?? :(
Frugal is it's own reward

SaveSomeGreen.co.uk
Saving the Environment and your pocket

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

That is odd. Frogs tend to return to their "home" pond (the one where they served their tadpoleship) to breed. So if they haven't come back, it would tend to indicate a froggy disaster. Have you changed anything recently with regards to possible access?

Mike

Keaniebean

Hmmm, Ok i'll just have to wait and see then, it may well have been because lots survived because it is a very small pond and there were LOTS of tadpoles. Is there anything I can feed them, because I have a hunch that this may be part of the problem?
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Funnily enough, I just had to do some research on the possibility of feeding tadpoles :iconbiggrin: .

Apparently, the best thing is cat biscuits - the small ones. Two of those in a small pond is plenty to keep the tadpoles going for a week. But keep your eyes open - the protein in the biscuits can encourage algae if you overdo it, and if you REALLY overdo it, you can foul the water.

Mike

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Oh cool. I can't feed left over cat biscuits to the hens as they have chicken in them. Now I can feed them to the trainee slug exterminators.

Thanks

Zoe

SaveSomeGreen

i was confused too.. it was a new pond and I had to empty it and faff somewhat last year during the season but still had a good clutch of tadders which have seemingly come back, plenty of frogs. just no tadders this year???
Frugal is it's own reward

SaveSomeGreen.co.uk
Saving the Environment and your pocket

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just a thought. Have a google for the predaceous water beetle and take a peek at their larvae (known as Water Tigers). We've just had to take emergency measures to clear them from our pond - there were an awful lot of them (over a hundred dragged out so far) and the tadpole population was diminishing at an alarming rate. You can spot them fairly easily as they have to come to the surface at regular intervals to breathe - a 10-minute stare at the surface will tell you what you want to know.

If you have them - a lot of them - then they're eating your taddies and any that remain are in hiding. A net is a very good weapon.

Mike