Crow

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Crow

Last night I took Lulu out for her walk and came across an injured crow. No signs of bleeding, but it was on the ground, soaking wet and unable to fly. Some patches of feathers seem to have been missing and all in all looked very sorry for itself. As the rain had eased up a little bit, quite a few folk were descending with their dogs, one chased it and the crow got stuck in a patch of plants. I untangled it and scooped it up so the dog didn't go for it. Walked around the park a bit more trying to decide what to do with the poor thing. I was a bit surprised how okay it was with me holding it, I wasn't keeping my hand on it at all times either, it just clung on to me.

In the end, I bought it home. Did a quick bit of research on the net and popped it in our downstairs bathroom with food and water. It seemed to be in a bit of shock, but within a couple of hours was hopping around a little in there having a bit to eat and drink.

This morning, I was just trying to work out who to call about it when I checked in. Crow looked like a whole new bird, I popped it outside and after it'd got its bearings it went on its way. :cheers:

Now I'm not completely sure I did the right thing, maybe I should have left it in the park. But I couldn't bear the thought of one of the dogs getting it or a cat during the night. I do wish I'd taken a photo before it went though.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Crow

Of course you did the right thing - the world now has one live crow rather than another dead bird. Well done :iconbiggrin:

From your description, it sounds as if it had already been had by a dog or cat. You gave it a chance to get over the shock and dry itself out. And, unless you live about 100 miles away from that park, the crow knows exactly where "home" is - so no worries there.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

chickenchargrill wrote:Now I'm not completely sure I did the right thing, maybe I should have left it in the park. But I couldn't bear the thought of one of the dogs getting it or a cat during the night.
The world would be a lot better place if there were more people like you in it. :salute:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Well done you - was expecting some rather different replies re birds like crows and magpies :wink: but I think we should all do our bit for wildlife no matter what the species. They all have as much right on the planet as we do (and we're no doubt the most destructive :roll: ).
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Funny you should say that, when I phoned Peter up about it and said I was bringing an injured bird home, he checked what kind. He was okay with a crow as apparently he'd kind of like a tame one, but a pigeon would have got a different reaction.

Thanks guys, I'm glad it recovered overnight too. No idea who I would have phoned. Didn't get the best reaction off the RSPCA when I rang them about something last time - we'd had a kitten in the garden in November, after a few days I was sure it was a lost one, very thin and mewing lots, gave it a bit of food, rang the local RSPCA who told me off for giving it any food and to not give it any more. Just to leave it and if it was still there in another week to give them a call.

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

What happened to it? You cant leave a story hanging like that :shock:

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

The kitten? We ended up looking after it for a while, Cats Protection were full, searched round for his owners and checked lost cat places, posted in found cat places. Then it went to live with a friend of ours, who'd also rang up RSPCA about him with no joy. He's now named, chipped and very happy.
Last edited by chickenchargrill on Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

:cheers:

Thanks for that. Glad it had a happy ending.

Millymollymandy

Not impressed by RSPCA! Don't feed it for a week then give us a call - what, to dispose of its dead body? :roll: I'm glad there was a happy ending too. :thumbright:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

spider8

I've had some bad experiences with the RSPCA over the years. I know they must be inundated with animal casualties etc., but most of the time they just want to put them down even when they are healthy. Cases of 'can't be bothered, too much trouble' to find new homes etc. I know it isn't all RSPCA people before I get jumped on :iconbiggrin: Well done for crow rescue :salute: .
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

Graye

Well done on that rescue (and the kitten). I get odd looks when I "rescue" young gulls here but I don't fancy just leaving them to suffer. We have various nests in the chimney pots surrounding our garden and you can bet at least one will fall off each summer before it can fly properly. The funniest one was there for two weeks, getting more and more choosy about what it would be prepared to eat and getting more an d more frustrated as it learned to fly.
Growing old is much better then the alternative!