What people find important

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: What people find important

Love marmite! As a student I perfected the sardine, mayonnaise and marmite toastie. :iconbiggrin: Still love it with mayo and lettuce in a sarnie.MMMMMMMarmite!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

spider8 wrote:I do not like Marmite but LOVE Bury black pudding........not that I can get that here but the local stuff is quite good. Anybody like white pudding?
Luckily I have a local farm shop that does stunning black pudding. White pudding rocks as well.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

Rosendula

I like Marmite, but I too don't eat it often. I tend to have binges of the stuff. Some of the ways some of you guys eat it is disgusting though :pukeright: . There are only two ways in which Marmite should be consumed:
1) toast one side of bread, turn over, spread with Marmite and top with Cheddar cheese, then grill until melted, or
2) a Marmite drink (spoonful in a cup of boiling water, stirred well), dip into this cheese spread sandwich soldiers.

After being veggie from age 15 to 37 I couldn't remember whether or not I liked black pudding so I tried it in a cafe a couple of months ago. It was OK, nothing special. I didn't think much to the texture - too smooth. Maybe it was a cheap brand or cooked poorly?? :dontknow: D'you reckon I should give it another try?
Rosey xx

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

You certainly should, Rosie. Smooth black pudding is, I'm afraid, a response to the "for god's sake never eat any fat" philosophy. It doesn't work, as it results in bland pap (as you noticed). You need the stuff in which you can actually see at least white speckles (or, if you're me, large white lumps). That's where all the flavour is, and that's where all the texture is.

Black pudding is already cooked, by the way - you can actually eat it as it comes. I like it that way - but it's just as delish fried.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Rosendula

Thanks Mike. I'll get some from the butcher and give it another try. :)
Rosey xx

Lilyfae
Tom Good
Tom Good

I must be in a minority, cannot stomach thought let alone taste of black pudding it makes me think of vampires and stories about blood 'omelettes' during WWII!

Bleurgh :pukeright:

oldjerry

Hmm black pudding..there isn't long enough.when dad was around we killed our own pigs(for home consumption) and so the Black pudding was made with blood hot from the pig(sorry if anyone is having their breakfast) a young chap,me,collected it as it bled in a bucket and stirred the cereal herbs etc like hellbefore it set.
These days,the blood you get returned from the abbattoir is already cold,so you need to reheat it,and although it works fine,I think it may have lost something(as in the pastuerization of milk),but it may be just a combination of 'golden memories' and a worn out palate.
Anybody want to try this,you shouldn't need a pig,just shuffle round to your nearest slaughterhouse,and sweet talk the man,if they charge you at all,it wont be much.Most butchers suppliers(eg.Smiths at B'ham Wholesale Market ,will supply Black Pudding 'mixes' to add to the blood,'till you develop your own.

Millymollymandy

Have eaten it as part of cooked breakfast and it was nothing special, but the mere thought of it nowadays makes me want to barf, :pale: :pukeright: and I keep thinking of that TV clip that was shown over and over again of Nick Nairn the TV cook nearly passing out whilst visiting some old biddy who was doing things with basins of blood! :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

MKG wrote:You certainly should, Rosie. Smooth black pudding is, I'm afraid, a response to the "for god's sake never eat any fat" philosophy. It doesn't work, as it results in bland pap (as you noticed). You need the stuff in which you can actually see at least white speckles (or, if you're me, large white lumps). That's where all the flavour is, and that's where all the texture is.

Black pudding is already cooked, by the way - you can actually eat it as it comes. I like it that way - but it's just as delish fried.

Mike
What he said! :sign3: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

zaxdog
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I used to make a salad for my late OH with baby spinach etc and top with chunks of fried black pud and mango!

Black pud for us should have little visible fat but loads of oatmeal so it goes all crumbly when you try to cut it (same sort of texture as haggis)!

Brunch today is: black pud, haggis, fried eggs, tattie scones and beans! Oooooooo mouth starting to water just thinking about it :wink:

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

@OJ I used to be the 'blood catcher' as a kid too & I agree that fresh from the pig tastes far supior to the reheated variety.

A confirmed 'Northerner' my years in London were only made bearable by trips home to a decent pork butcher who killed his own pigs & made proper black pudding. I did grow to love ell pie & liquor though, and would love that again...

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

You bunch of mingers!!! Boke!!!! Marmite is rank as is black pudding!! X

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Loathe marmite. Love Bovril. Don't know why :lol: :dontknow:
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

See - even an easy-going community like Ish can be split in two. So to get back to the original post, that just shows how important Marmite REALLY is :iconbiggrin:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

What about anchovies?