Blackcurrant cordial

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Chickenlady
A selfsufficientish Regular

Blackcurrant cordial

I was clearing out the freezer today and found a load of blackcurrants from last summer. On a whim I boiled them up with a bit of sugar, strained them and then diluted the juice with a bit of water. It was really delicious, a trillion times nicer and healthier than commercial blackcurrant. The kids loved it!

I would like to repeat this with this year's crop and bottle it. Would it keep, do you think, or would I need to be a bit more scientific in my approach?

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Blackcurrant cordial

Chickenlady wrote:I boiled them up with a bit of sugar, strained them and then diluted the juice with a bit of water. It was really delicious, a trillion times nicer and healthier than commercial blackcurrant. The kids loved it!

I would like to repeat this with this year's crop and bottle it. Would it keep, do you think, or would I need to be a bit more scientific in my approach?
it worked and it is not full of aspartamine,why be scientific?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

But be careful if yout kids are asthmatic - sulphites can set 'em off! :shock:

Personally, I home make stuff to get away from the preservatives! (sorry Rhyddid)

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

The process of wine and beermaking I find very interesting, unfortunately I don't drink the proceeds so have never really done much with either process, with the exception of ginger beer and some elderflower champagne.

The elder flower champagne was foul! :pale: (Although my dad liked it and drank it!)

Nev

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Chickenlady

Thanks for the advice - I have already started collecting good glass bottles in readiness!

Elderflower cordial is another thing I would like to make when I find some nice clean elderflowers (none in my garden or on the allotment). Is that what you meant by elderflower champagne, Nev, or was yours an alcoholic version? A friend makes the cordial every year and it is lovely - costs a bomb in the shops! (and again the kids love it!).

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Chickenlady,

This was an alcoholic version.......and fizzy :shock: !

Nev

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

This might help too, forgot we had it on the site http://www.selfsufficientish.com/elder.htm#cordial

- recipe for making elderflower cordial :andy:
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging