Can I buy red diesel for my smallholding use ??

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
gray_bale
Tom Good
Tom Good

Not too sure what forum topic this goes under.

But am I able to buy red diesel, and from where and in what (small) quantities. Where do I store it.

Can I use it driving to and from my smallholding.

What if my vehicle is used for part non farming use ?

Any ideas please.
With 40 years experience the goodlife normally ends up costing money one way or the other, and a bad back ???

Check out http://www.balesfield.co.uk/

JulieSherris
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Can I buy red diesel for my smallholding use ??

As far as I know, your vehicle has to be registered for agricultural or construction use. Hence the use in tractors, cranes, etc.

If you try & use it without the necessary registration, then you could face a hefty fine if you're caught.

We still have roadside checks here in Ireland where any & all diesel vehicles are checked - they reckon 1 in 4 motorists are caught out!
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

oldjerry

OK red diesel bottom line.I don't know or care about what's lawfull,this is how it pans out round here.If your vehicle is registered as an agricultural vehicle (basically a tractor) you can run on red and you wont get any hassle(that's why you get held up on the road by the giant tonka toys pulling trailers full of grain/spuds/etc...lorries will get nicked running on red.)Many rural petrol stations sell red out of pumps,look about.Big deisel suppliers will deliver to your place ,you will need a tank,say 600 gall.Don't ever use red in an ordinary road going vehicle,at livestock markets,agricultural shows etc you MAY WELL GET DIPPED (and subsequently hammered).Some totally reprehensible people have a second fuel tank in their Landie (under the passenger seat)so when their reg tank is dipped they are found to be behaving completely innocently.This kind of tax-dodging is anti-social,and completely reprehensible...(I'd hang them!)

The Riff-Raff Element

oldjerry wrote:Some totally reprehensible people have a second fuel tank in their Landie (under the passenger seat)so when their reg tank is dipped they are found to be behaving completely innocently.This kind of tax-dodging is anti-social,and completely reprehensible...(I'd hang them!)
Hanging is too good for them! They get these valving diagrams off 'tinternet and away they go. Totally, utterly, indefensible.
Last edited by The Riff-Raff Element on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldjerry

Sadly even Red is getting a bit pricey.You could make friends with the lady from the chip shop,there's loads about filtering the old oil on line.You need a deisel that's pre common - rail and preferably with a Bosch fuel pump(ie anything German plus Volvo) other pre common - rails are ok but I know people that have had a few probs with fords etc, so best mix it with a bit of diesel(say 50/50).There's a load of disinformation put about re engine damage etc,but it's a common thing to do round here(and come MOT time you will definitely pass the emissions test !)

pumpy

Don't see why people are looking to do illegal stuff while us legal people are paying our way. However, going back to the question, using red on site is perfectly o.k. as long as it is private land and, therefore, not subject to Highways Regulations. Agricultural vehicles and registered "plant" traffic are the only ones allowed on public roads using red. It's a bummer but thats the way it is. :icon_smile:
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

madabouthens
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

The powers that be can also come onto your own land and dip diesel vehicles unless they are registered for agricultural use, which does not include landrovers. I know, because they came onto our holding, but I am a law abiding citizen...so all ok :thumbright:
Tony

oldjerry

[quote="pumpy"]Don't see why people are looking to do illegal stuff .

Cos that's the only way SOME people can get by.

pumpy

hi oldjerry, it's the only reason that a lot of us get by....... but it still don't make it right. :dontknow:
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

CasperCastle
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

pumpy wrote:hi oldjerry, it's the only reason that a lot of us get by....... but it still don't make it right. :dontknow:
Now now kind Sir, I think it's just a personal moral thing, people bend the law in all kinds of 'little' ways and decide for themselves whether or not it is offensive to their own conscience & worth the risk of the potential criminal pusnishment. Besides, isn't ateast one of the ideas pertaining to 'ishness' to distance yourself even a tiny bit from consumerism/capitalism?
If the only issue is tax, wouldn't it be equally as relevant to judge anyone in the forums who doesn't pay duty on the Tobacco they grow themselves too?

That said, I am a newbie.
:grouphug:

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Being absolutely pedantic, there is no duty on growing tobacco in the UK. Only at the point of shredding the final product does duty become payable. THEN you can giggle at your little victory over the taxman.

Not that I EVER would, naturally.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

CasperCastle
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

"I stand corrected"... Said the man in the oethopedic shoes.

...But, quips aside, pedantic you are, heh! - as I clearly wasn't refering to Nicotiana grown as an ornamental. And refering to it instead as tobacco very much has all the implications of me making reference to anyone growing it with the intention of preparing it for smoking.

oldjerry

[quote="MKG"]Being absolutely pedantic, there is no duty on growing tobacco in the UK. Only at the point of shredding the final product does duty become payable.
Sometime ago ,OK yonks ago,you could grow your own and then send it off to some govt place to be dried,shredded etc(then presumably they sent it back to you)There's a chapter on this in an early 50's book by L .D. Hills (God) ,I've looked all over for it,but it's probably in a packing case somewhere.