Go about submitting a book proposal?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Go about submitting a book proposal?

I know that some of you out there are already published (dave! andy! :icon_smile: )

and the long and short of it is, I have an idea for a book, and I have quite simply been writing and illustrating it as much for my own benefit as anyone elses, but encouraging words from himself has made me wonder if I should be submitting this for someone else to read.

Any suggestions as to what makes someone look twice at your proposal?

It's a crafting/parenting/lifestyle book. The focus on being what and how to do things with your children. Umm not being very succinct here ...try this...

Title: Natural Creativity

Projects and activities to inspire and encourage creative connections within the family.

Summary:
A family orientated lifestyle book that families can use as a tool to help them connect with their children and encourage imagination. To simplify our children’s lives and take joy in creating a beautiful, structured, natural and peaceful environment within the family home.

Outline of Contents:
- Creating the Right Environment
Inspiration
Encouraging Imagination
Talking (and listening) to Your Child
Preparing Yourself
Playing Together
Gathering Your Materials
Giving Handmade

Reason for Proposal:
Being an Artist and a Mother, so much of my time is spent thinking about the opportunity to create either on my own or with my children. Conversations with other parents made me realise that so many of them are unable to connect and create with their children in the manner that I do with mine. I was so often asked how did I think up the things that I did with my children that I began to think that I should document these processes somehow. To illustrate how a mindful, gentle attitude and environment can be created via modest means and abilities. As a family we have always been concerned with the impact that we have on the environment around us, and through creating the things that we surround ourselves with, not only have we created a comfortable family home, we have repurposed, refashioned and recycled along the way. I see this book aimed at the everyday reader, the new parent, or committed crafter, but ultimately someone who recognises that their children’s lives need to be simplified, and that joy is to be taken through learning how to abandon the modern distractions that so easily occupy our children’s time and minds. Taking on these projects provides families with an opportunity to not only furnish themselves and their homes with treasured objects, but create important family memories through the act of a shared experience.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

...there's a list of projects too, but I won't list those here. I realise that as an Artist and a Mother I am able to support my girls into developing their own creative language, and that family creativity can be a spontaneous and joyous thing in our household. I am also acutely aware that this is not the case for everybody, and I have recently found myself running workshops at the local Children's Centre giving families direction in creative art and craft play. Making me thing that there is a genuine need for a book that addresses these things.

Soo, should I keep going with it and get someone to take a look at it? and if so who? I am completely at a loss as to where to start with this one, and as it is with many things in my life, I'm asking the Ishers first, aren't you proud?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lorna x

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Go about submitting a book proposal?

Can't answer your question but I think the book sounds fab!

I wish I'd had something like that when my DD was a babe (she'd say she still is of course :lol: )

Oh and well done for posting it on here - you've got it dated and a whole world of witnesses if anyone tries to nick it now :cheers: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

crowsashes
A selfsufficientish Regular

i dont know how you'd go about it but you could also self-publish it... there are loads of sites now where you can publish one of books or more... im in the process of doing one at the moment for my portfolio of work... it might be worth a look... if only to spur your imagination further :)

a bit about online publishing - i read this article a while back ...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/bl ... tor-keegan

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Green Aura wrote:Oh and well done for posting it on here - you've got it dated and a whole world of witnesses if anyone tries to nick it now

I didn't think of that! Thanks :cooldude: :cooldude:

Glad you both think that it sounds like a valid idea, I'll keep steadily working on it whenever I have the time too. I do really enjoy it, it's rather therapeutic actually :study: :study:

Lorna x

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Hi lorna, if you are submitting a manuscript they like it printed on a4 paper double line spacing so they can write notes in between the lines. if you look on the web you can likely find a literary agent but I would reccomend you look at similar books already published and approach the company as they are more likely to be receptive to the idea.

Cheers richard
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

cocobelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi
There are many ways that you can get your book published but the best idea is to get yourself a decent agent, who will find a publisher for you that is interested (sounds like a great idea, by the way, wish I was a publisher). Borrow the Writers and Artists Yearbook from the library it gives loads of tips on how to get started. Good Luck!
Organic Baby Clothes made with natural, sustainable fabrics.

PlainQB
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hello,

Go to your local library. There are books (neither Mr. QB nor I can remember the title) that are guides to getting books published. They're published anually and should contain all the information you need. Your librarians should be able to direct you. I think they're usually reference books.

Good luck.

crowsashes

PlainQB wrote:Hello,

Go to your local library. There are books (neither Mr. QB nor I can remember the title) that are guides to getting books published. They're published anually and should contain all the information you need. Your librarians should be able to direct you. I think they're usually reference books.

Good luck.
they've actually discontinued 'the writers handbook' as most of the information can be searched online - a previous issue ( i think the last one was for 2010) might be of some use but these days i think online will be your best option for hunting out publishers.

Susie

Growingthings, I had a thought. The woman who does Soulemama (the blog) published a book on a similar kind of theme - it might be worth looking at who published that. I have a slight feeling that this is the kind of thing that's not been taken up in a big way yet by publishers in the UK - it's more of a US thing so far, and the kind of book that's been coming out of blogs.

In other words, go for it! - I definitely think there's a market, you could be on the cusp of a trend. I also agree with crowsashes. One of the things you could do is self-publish - even as an e-book - and sell it through your blog. Then when you're a runaway success you'll be fending off offers from agents for your second book and you won't need to think about submitting a proposal at all ;-).
blog
shop
that's it ;-)