Car port/porch/shelter advice

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Car port/porch/shelter advice

I am planning on putting up a large car port type shelter around the back and side of my house. Fed up with getting wet straight out of the conservatory door when it rains, and also hoping for a little less damp rising thru the floor.

Probably not very 'eco' in build as using brought materials, altho having my neighbour do it must count for something as giving him work and no travel !!!

Guess I am asking for advice or suggestions on points to consider in design, and also what I could grow [grape vine ?] on a sheltered south wall in damp Lancashire.

Not sure whether to get polycarbonate roof [surely an eco sin] which is more ££, or clear plastic corrugated [equally as eco bad but a little cheaper]. I want it to be functional firstly and last at least 7-10 years in good state.

If anyone has a shelter like this, or any thoughts about sourcing materials, design and use I would really appreciate them sharing.

Thanks
Sarah :flower:

greenorelse
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Re: Car port/porch/shelter advice

Polycarbonate is probably not worth it if it's not enclosed. The main benefit of PC is heat retention as well as strength. But 'corrugated' clear roofing is more than adequate for a car port (so long as heavy snow can either slide off or the roof can bear its weight).

We have a small 'overhang' using corrugated and it's fine. I think if you could get some reclaimed wood somehow it would lower your eco concerns a tad! We used telegraph poles for the roof's support, which look great and again, compensate for the plastic roof a bit.

Another advantage for us is the extra roof meant more opportunities for collecting rainwater. Irish weather can be sunny and rainy at the same time, so our little roof is lovely for doing those little jobs where you don't need to be inside but want to sit down in the dry.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks guys, you have backed up what I was thinking. Cant wait to get it done now, cleared my little wood store today [in the rain] so space has been made. Just got a few design features to fit out and get it built.

Love the picture, I am hoping to grow lots under the shelter, possibly a vine or fig in a pot [ok, old water tank] as well as toms and peppers. Open to suggestions for other things to try, east and south facing walls, fairly sheltered etc.
Sarah :flower:

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Sarah, scroll down this page for three pics of the telegraph poles!
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!