Those little garden labels/signs identifying plants...

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
chuck_n_grace
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Those little garden labels/signs identifying plants...

Hi,
I'm certain many of you label your pots, seed starting cells, garden rows, and raised beds with the veggies you've planted.

Here's two ideas that we've seized upon.

* We had a 4'x8' white panel we used over the years as a whiteboard. My wife didn't need it any more. So, I cut a bit of it into 4"x6" rectangles (about 60 of them). I then made two diagonal cuts on one end so it looked like a five-sided shape with a point. I took a marker and wrote a name of a veggie on a couple dozen of them...and inserted it into the raised beds based upon our garden plans.

The two triangles cut from each rectangle are much smaller, so I used them to label plants in tiny pots.

I suppose one could use a dry-erase marker on it, and then place a small plastic bag over the top...for reuse.

* The other tip of course was cutting a milk jug into small 1/2" wide, 3" long labels...cutting a point on one end...to insert into small seed starter cells.

I'm encouraged by all of the recyclers on this forum to look for more means of recycling and saving $$$.

Regards,
Chuck

grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Those little garden labels/signs identifying plants...

Good use there. Rather than using marker pens I find a pencil works as well, standing up to the weather and can be easily removed when you want to re-use the label for something else.

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Which? Gardening had an article on making your own tags recently, slate was a suggestion, branches cut in half, written on with marker and then varnished, copper pipe offcuts hammered flat amongst others.

Shirleymouse
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.5
longitude: -1.9

I must label everything this year. Last year I thought I'd just be able to remember what I'd planted in each pot but I got very confused... I think plant labels would be a really good use for plastic milk bottles cut into strips.

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

I used milk jugs last year, with permanent marker, but found the writing wore off by mid summer [either inside or out] so plan on trying pencil this year, or anything else that is suggested.
Sarah :flower:

chilitony
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

i re-use lollie sticks, but after time then permenant marker bleeds out and you cant read them which defeats the object.
Already started propagating afew weeks ago and used the same sticks doh! :?
Will try cutting up milk carton this weekend, got to be better :icon_smile:
captus nidore culinae (caught by the odor of the kitchen)

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

For long term markers, I use the plastic milk cartons but punch the letters out with a needle. Very tedious but worth it. I came across some labels that had been outside for five years and they were still perfectly legible.

Zoe

chuck_n_grace
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Last year I thought I'd just be able to remember what I'd planted in each pot but I got very confused
That certainly describes us. :icon_smile: I remember getting our cantelope and cucumber seedlings getting mixed up because they look too much alike to me when they are young. Need to avoid that...

If I can slide plastic slip covers over the paneling pieces...then I might be able to get by with a dry-erase marker. Then again, I do like the simplicity of using a pencil.

Regards,
Chuck

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

I make my own labels from milk cartons but stupidly used a red pen and it took a while to rewrite in black after the red completely faded