Elderflowers

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
grahoom
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Boots wrote:Hey Grahoom,
If you get a chance check out Andy and Dave's mushroom hunting episode. He has a link on his posts.

Have a feeling you might enjoy it.
cheers boots, i had a look at the video clip, made me chuckle!. nice one andy and dave!

hedgewizard
A selfsufficientish Regular

I'm not going to be in a position to do anything except fritters with the elderflowers this year... boo! I do have 5 gal elderflower wine ready from the year before last though. :mrgreen:

I read in Plants for a Future that planting a single American elderflower in the UK will give you flowers all summer long since there's nothing around to fertilise it. Anyone verify this? It kind of appeals... :drunken:

Aberlemno
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I forgot to mention, you add a few drops of your favourite essential oil to the hand cream and mix it in well before you pot it - otherwise it smells just like last Sunday's roast! Oh, and don't leave it until the flowers yellow, as it reeks then (cat pee, as someone said).

Our Elder here is just about to come into flower, but I drove to Essex & back last weekend, and there was masses out in England, especially in Wiltshire - we stopped at Avebury and I was tempted to bring some back with me, but it'll be out here in a day or so.
All goes back to the earth, and so I do not desire pride of excess or power, but the contentments made by men who have had little. Wendell Berry.

Rich
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

hedgewizard wrote:It's fairly distinctive... check this link out. As a final check the flowers are quite aromatic. Once they start to dry out a bit they smell like cat pee! (but that smell disappears when you cook or process them)
thanks for that.. I think I did actually get the right thing, but stupidly picked form one on a very busy road, which may account for the nasty taste.. will try and locate some un polluted ones this year

hedgewizard

Yep, very big surface area on elderflowers to hold nasty chems on. Also if there's any signs of them "going over" (browning, drying out etc) leave them alone. Happy hunting!