Know Your Ingredients game

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Rosendula
A selfsufficientish Regular

Know Your Ingredients game

Anyone fancy trying a new game?
My lovely daughter bought me a book called Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon for Christmas. Inside, on various pages, there are little boxes with the heading "Know Your Ingredients". It then goes on to give a list of ingredients and you have to see if you can guess what the product is, the answers being in the back of the book. I thought we could give it a try here.

What you do is find a shop-bought product (or look one up on the internet), and copy out the ingredients here. Then put the name of the product underneath in tiny font so that people don't see it until they're ready to zoom in. Here's one to start us off...

Chicken (Mechanically recovered) (55%), Water, Pork Fat, Pork Collagen, Salt, Wheat Flour, Chicken Fat, Thickeners (E412, E451), Beef Collagen, Herbs, Spices (contains celery), Flavouring, Natural Smoke Flavour, Preservative (E250).

Answer:

Ye Olde Oak Hot Dogs
Rosey xx

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Re: Know Your Ingredients game

beef, Wheat Flour, Water, Sugar, Yeast, Sesame Seeds, Vegetable Oil (Rapeseed), Salt, Wheat Fibre, Soya Flour, Emulsifiers (Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Mono- and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate), Palm Oil, Preservative (Calcium Propionate), Flour Treatment Agent (Ascorbic Acid), Water, Vegetable Oil (Soya Bean Oil), Diced Gherkin, Sugar, Spirit Vinegar, Modified Maize Starch, Free Range Egg Yolk, Mustard Seed, Salt, Preservatives (Acetic Acid, Potassium Sorbate), Mustard Flour, Stabiliser (Xanthan Gum), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Natural Flavourings (contains Soya), Dried Garlic, Spice, Colour (Paprika Extract), Vegetarian Cheddar (51%), Water, Butter, Vegetarian Cheese (9%), Whey Powder, Milk Proteins, Emulsifying Salts (Trisodium Citrate, Citric Acid), Natural Cheese Flavouring, Salt, Preservative (Sorbic Acid), Colour (Natural Carotenes, Paprika Extract), Anti-caking Agent (Soya Lecithin), Cucumbers, Water, Salt, Vinegar, Dill Pickle Blends (contains Gum Arabic, Extractives of Dill and other spices, Extractives of Turmeric), Calcium Chloride, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, lettuce, onions.

big mac. eeeeeeeew.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

The Riff-Raff Element

Eeek!

Why, I wonder, do the manufacturers feel to the need to explicitly mention the celery? Is it an alergy hazard?

mrsflibble

yes aparently it is hahaha!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very

Milims

[quote="Rosendula"]

Chicken (Mechanically recovered) (55%), Water, Pork Fat, Pork Collagen, Salt, Wheat Flour, Chicken Fat, Thickeners (E412, E451), Beef Collagen, Herbs, Spices (contains celery), Flavouring, Natural Smoke Flavour, Preservative (E250).

Answer:

:pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Millymollymandy

Eeeew I've been put off me lunch already. Mechanically recovered chicken is such a strange term. Like maybe all the bits that dropped on the factory floor were hoovered up and shaped into a patty.... oh hang on that's probably what did happen. :lol:

OK here's one:

Corn flour (72%), vegetable oil, salt, flavouring, flavour enhancer: E621, E627, E631. Contains gluten.

Lidl's tortilla chips, Jalapeno flavoured (and sitting on my desk!)
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Milims

Millymollymandy wrote:Eeeew I've been put off me lunch already. Mechanically recovered chicken is such a strange term. Like maybe all the bits that dropped on the factory floor were hoovered up and shaped into a patty.... oh hang on that's probably what did happen. :lol:

OK here's one:

Corn flour (72%), vegetable oil, salt, flavouring, flavour enhancer: E621, E627, E631. Contains gluten.
Ha ha - I had to quote that to read the answer! lol!

Not too many ingredients - but the vegetable oil is a but of a cover up too - it usually contains quite a lot of palm oil too! :shock:

Water, flour, salt, olive oil, yeast, milk.......

cheese sarnie!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

chilitony
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Its a can of Hot Dogs which i have eatten in the past, yummy :scratch:
captus nidore culinae (caught by the odor of the kitchen)

Marmalady
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The Riff-Raff Element wrote:Eeek!

Why, I wonder, do the manufacturers feel to the need to explicitly mention the celery? Is it an alergy hazard?

yes -- allergens that must be specifically mentioned on food labels include:

nuts
celery
mustard

eggs, dairy & gluten are also common allergens but cant remember if they have to listed

mrsflibble

sulphites too recently.

Rosendula

Flippin' 'eck! How about just saying "Allergy advice: contains ingredients"
Rosey xx

Big Al

Millymollymandy wrote:Eeeew I've been put off me lunch already. Mechanically recovered chicken is such a strange term. Like maybe all the bits that dropped on the factory floor were hoovered up and shaped into a patty.... oh hang on that's probably what did happen. :lol:

OK here's one:

Mechanically recovered meat is obtained by hitting the carcases with a high preassure water jetter..... then scooped up off the floor.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Big Al

Wholewheat flour, yeast, water, salt, sugar.

Home made bread
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Millymollymandy

Big Al wrote:Wholewheat flour, yeast, water, salt, sugar.

Home made bread
I guessed that one! How did you manage to do such a small font? :scratch: The choice above of Tiny is still readable but you found a smaller one! :dontknow:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Rosendula

I wondered that but I think I've worked it out. You know when you click on the 'tiny' font, it brings your text up with [size =50][/size] around it. Just change the number :mrgreen:
Rosey xx