tomatoes at last?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
stonethrower
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

tomatoes at last?

i grew 12 tomatoe plants from seed this year and moved them out to my plastic greenhouse but unfortunately still lost six of those to frost . . . . of the remaining six, one got broken when moved outside onto the "patio" . . . . before the five remainders proceeded to get blight

anyway, (before everybody cries and starts sending me tomatoes!), the one broken plant took off again and now has two small tomatoes and a couple of more flowers . . . . my question is, as its in a pot should i move it back inside, or into the greenhouse, and if so, when?

as the BBC's "edible garden" program ended up with no tomatoes i would consider getting even a couple as something of a "victory for the small man"
the man that made time . . . . he made plenty of it

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: tomatoes at last?

I'd take it indoors at this time of year. If you look after it there's no reason why it shouldn't carry on producing tomatoes for a while yet. Keep it somewhere sunny, water and feed it regularly - you'll be picking fresh tomatoes on Christmas day.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

But it may help if you have supplementary lighting,look around for growlights(not as expensive as you'd think,and a good idea even in a greenhouse).

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Just be careful or you'll have the police round thinking you're starting a cannabis farm :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

kompost krazy

I got the first signs of blight months ago. I immediately sprayed all the plants (and the spuds) heavily with Bordeaux mixture, and gave the blight enough of a check to ripen quite a lot of toms before it returned. The toms in the greenhouse escaped blight until recently, but finally succombed, but I got quite a lot of fruit off them first. (vars: 'Golden Sunrise', 'Tigerella', 'Purple Ukraine', and 'Costoluto Fiorentino' - no idea what the reputation of any of them is for blight resistance or susceptibility.)

eccentricemma
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

KK - how did you get on with purple ukraine? every single tomato on ours split! then went mouldy. cant comment onthe costoluto fiorentino as most of them died before getting fruit!
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com