How do i prevent Wasps and spiders from getting in my house?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Shirleymouse
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.5
longitude: -1.9

Re: How do i prevent Wasps and spiders from getting in my ho

You lot are giving me nightmares!! My dad was once bitten by a house spider, his thumb was numb for about 3 days - I think this is where my fear comes from although I did once have a tarantula walking on me because it was at school and I didn't want to bottle out in front of my class!

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Cobwebs? this place looks like Miss. Havershams!
This year the wasps here have become active quite late,but if you can find the nest ,coarse anglers will shift it for you for nothing.

scrap
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Ah,the wasps...
I was wondering where they all went this year.
A closer look at my fig tree explained a lot.
They're absolutely mad about overripe fermenting figs.
Some of the blackest ones look like swiss cheese.
Sometimes groups of about ten wasps can be spotted on a single fig,doing nothing but gnawing holes in the figs to get to the slightly frothy juice.
Incoming wasps completely ignore everything else in the backyard,and head straight for the figtree.

Perhaps they decided to skip their annual ''annoy-a-human'' festival and went to the pub instead.
''I'm riding a pig and trashing things,I dunno what else I'm supposed to do here.''
(My wife, while playing Lego pirates of the carribean.)

''If you open your mind too far your brain will fall out''

dingdong
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

:pale: I don't feel very well. Right I'm off to vacuum everything!!

Millymollymandy

And here I am stupidly rescuing moths and spiders who get into trouble in bowls of water in my cellar sink, only to find the silly things have jumped back in and drowned overnight..... :( :( :( Just rescued an enormous spiddy spider last night, put him on the floor, he scuttled off happily and now he's dead. :(
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Gem
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have exactly the same problem. I was washing elderberrys yesterday and tried to save the numerous bugs/spiders that came out of them but most of them leapt into my wash bowl..

Oh well..

victibz
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

As the weathers cooled down so has the problem with wasps and as for the spiders, their still around but i'm getting more used to them!

I've even managed to get rid of a couple myself (which i'm very proud of), Hubby still doesn't understand my fear of them and but he is getting better.
we do how ever seem to have 1 very large spider who seems to think its a game to run across the landing at me only to keep being thrown out the window by hubby, next time he won't be thrown out the window he will feel the suction of my Dyson.

We have a dog but shes about as much used at catching spiders as a chocolate Tea pot, she has a habit of either following it around or depending on the size running in the opposite direction!

Sadoldhippy
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I don't know if this will help but..
melt some pine resin/pitch in the bottom of a can shake in a generous amount of black pepper (or dried crushed Tansy for biting flies). Heat the pitch until it begins to smoke. take the smoking can to doorways etc and let the smoke coat your door frames, windowsills, screens etc (if you have burrow holes concentrate there for a bit) and your porch area. This will help repel gnats, flies etc.

Have fun
My blog: http://environmentchaos.blogspot.co.uk
Comments appreciated :-)