Kilner flip top jars for chutney??

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Peppa Pig
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Kilner flip top jars for chutney??

I made my first ever chutney today.
Bit worried Iv done it wrong.
I read on the internet that you can use Kilners fliptop jars or would the others/jamjars be the right thing.
I was given them as a pressie so of course rather than buy any, used what I had.
Also I decided not to put wax discs on as theres no metal in contact with the vinegar? :dontknow:

This is the recipe:http://www.countrylife.co.uk/countrysid ... utney.html
Muddy Puddles is our favourite episode!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Kilner flip top jars for chutney??

Shouldn't be a problem - we usually use Le Parfait/kilner jars and they work just fine. We don't use wax discs either.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yeah, I did chutney, last christmas for a prezzie for my dad, in kilner jars with no waxed discs and they're still fine ... I say they, not eating chutney myself I made what I now realise is a ridiculous qautity for one person to eat, so it's a good job it's keeping ok!

Good luck, hope it turns out well
PS when I made my dad's I realised once I'd bottled it that I'd completely forgotten the sugar so just stirred it in afterwards and he says it's lovely.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I never use wax disks, they just get in the way. For chutney almost any kind of jar is fine, your flip top jars will look lovely I'm sure :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

I use Branston Pickle jars. :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Peppa Pig

Phew..becuase its my first attempt I though Id wasted all those toms and everything.

Another thing is on the recipe they say to eat after 2 weeks.
Is it ok to leave them longer as the recipe doest seem to have as much vin in as others.
The next time Im going to put the spices in a muslin bag as Iv read it stops the chutney from being so dark.
Does anyone here do that and does it work?

Thanksx

theabsinthefairy

I have chutney in kilner jars from 3 years ago and it is still fine to eat. No wax discs either - the only time I would say that you need a layer of anything is if the lid doesn't seal well, but the kilner jars and any jars with the popping metal lids seem to do very well for long term storage.

I don't know about the spices - the only way I know of to make chutney lighter in colour is to use clear vinegar and white sugar. If I am using beets and toms I use clear vinegar as you get a richer red colour rather than a browny colour from malt vinegar.
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Peppa Pig wrote:Phew..becuase its my first attempt I though Id wasted all those toms and everything.

Another thing is on the recipe they say to eat after 2 weeks.
Is it ok to leave them longer as the recipe doest seem to have as much vin in as others.
The next time Im going to put the spices in a muslin bag as Iv read it stops the chutney from being so dark.
Does anyone here do that and does it work?

Thanksx
The 2 weeks will be a recommendation to make sure the spices all mingle nicely. I usually leave chutney a month before eating it and it certainly improves with age.
I like having the spices in the chutney... and I like the dark colour so I don't know how to make it lighter :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Peppa Pig

Thanks x

Im going to leave it a while and plan some more.
The kilner jars are quite pricey! Im going to save up the ones from pickles and stuff weve bought and use them.
When you reuse them though.. do you just do the lid up as tightly as poss and hope its sealed? Or even get him with the bigger muscles to use them :flower:

theabsinthefairy

You should replace the rubber seals otherwise they won't seal just glass to glass.

I do tend to reuse my rubber seals if I am making short term eats, i.e. beetroot chutney made in September for eating at Christmas, I will reuse the same seals to make pumpkin chutney at Christmas to eat during spring. For a long term store when I know I need a good seal like the veg for at least 12 months I will use new seals.
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

Peppa Pig

I will buy new seals in bulk as Im v happy with the jars.They do look v nice indeedie :icon_smile:
Me thinks the birthday fairy will have to be informed.

Millymollymandy

Peppa Pig wrote:The kilner jars are quite pricey! Im going to save up the ones from pickles and stuff weve bought and use them.
When you reuse them though.. do you just do the lid up as tightly as poss and hope its sealed? Or even get him with the bigger muscles to use them :flower:
For the flip top ones you put the rubber seal over first (whilst trying not to burn yourself) and remember to put the tab that you pull to release the airlock somewhere other than under the metal locking clip - I know, I keep forgetting to do that :roll: , or I'll start putting contents in before putting the rubber seal on..... aarrrrgggh!

To close you just then close lid and flip the metal locking thing and press hard until it clicks shut. To open unlock clip thingy, pull rubber seal to break the airlock, then open and close as normal with the metal clip.

Millymollymandy

Sorry, just realised what you were asking! Yes do up tightly then go back and do it again several times as hot jars expand (or the lids do, sorry I'm not a scientific type bod :iconbiggrin: ) and they loosen as they cool down. Hopefully as the sealed jars cool you should hear a popping sound and that little bump in the middle of the lid pops down telling you you've got a good seal. I don't always get that with every jam jar but even so I've never had anything go mouldy on me, although I try to use the un-popped ones first.

Moonwaves
Tom Good
Tom Good

I think wax discs are only really for using if you're making jam and putting plastic/cellophane cover on the jar rather than a proper lid. Aren't they?
livingthesimplelifeiwant.blogspot.com

missy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

i have used kilner jars and whatever other ones were in the recycling... pasta sauce ones, baby food etc... all have been fine and also have never used wax discs.. but to be fair, when i give jars of chutney to my family it doesn't last long.. my dad ate the last one in 4 days!
Missy
photographer and mother of 3
http://missysx.blogspot.com/