101 'ishy ways to mend a broken heart

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
sortanormalish
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 85.0
longitude: 35.0

Re: 101 'ishy ways to mend a broken heart

1. Make a new friend.

No one can replace what you lost, though it doesn't sound like you lost anything but excess weight (a text message, really? Cruel Coward!!!).

Find someone in need. It can be an elderly person who is lonely, a new comer to town, a newly divorced/seperated man or woman (just don't interfere with any possible reconcilliations) or if your community has an organization to mentor needy children - volunter. Or just go hang out in a bar and befriend the first weeper you see. There is always someone with a broken heart who needs an understanding friend.

2. Rebuild old relationships.

I don't know what we women are thinking. We get a man, or a woman, as the case may be and suddenly we start forgetting that we have friends! We always lose track of someone or stop going out on girls night (I never did that anyway) or we avoid this one friend who had the annoying habit of seeing him/her for exactly what he/she is (I've done that a few times). Your friends are your friends for a reason. Just apologize for being absent and promise never to do it again with the understanding that everyone of you will all do it again as soon as the next fellow comes along!

3. My best friend would tell you that you need to have a steamy affair.

I've never tried it, but she swears internet chat sex is as good as the real thing without the expense of the latex! :lol:
"You are a strange little mouse."
"Thank you." -Tale of Despereaux

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ummm

1. Run away to the other side of the world...that's what i did, and it worked!
2. I also get tattooed or pierced as soon as its over, its like i change myself in a little way so that when he thinks of me, i'm different!
3. If you're going to bake, make bread! The kneading makes it all ok!

Just one small thing...if you do have a stitch and bitch night, remember the knitters motto: Friends don't let friends knit drunk!

bryony
Tom Good
Tom Good

Well weirdly enough getting a piercing was one of the first things I did! And I have also been looking into escaping to somewhere far away (i need a new job, but nothing's working out here at the moment). How did you go about running away fee? Did I read that you're teaching? I'm looking into Indonesia at the moment...
sortanormalish wrote: My best friend would tell you that you need to have a steamy affair.

I've never tried it, but she swears internet chat sex is as good as the real thing without the expense of the latex! :lol:
:lol: well that would be the more 'ish way of going about it! it's not for me just yet, but I'll keep it in mind!

I managed to cook myself dinner yesterday :cheers: no big deal usually, but it's the first time in weeks. Things must be looking up!

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

bryony wrote: Things must be looking up!
Glad to hear it :cheers:

I can certainly relate to not cooking dinner for yourself. Been there plenty of times.

The idea of Indonesia :sunny: is warming me up through the howling gale and torrential rain.

Good luck with looking for a job. It's a tough time everywhere at the moment I think but something will come up ... you've just got to keep eating til it does. Sounds so simple eh? :lol:

Warm wishes :hugish:

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm teaching in China. I looked on the internet until i found an agency that wasn't asking me to pay the earth, applied, got the job and flew out here within 2 months...

I really love it, and it's the best thing i ever did.

Most of the East Asian countries only require a bachelors degree, of any persuasion. If you have some kind of TEFL certificate, it usually means that you can either go to a better place, or earn more money.

If you fancy China, and somewhere that's hot in the summer, let me know. They'll be hiring here soon.

southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Take a likeminded friend for a stroll around the Eden Project and eat a nice meal there.

bryony
Tom Good
Tom Good

the.fee.fairy wrote:If you fancy China, and somewhere that's hot in the summer, let me know. They'll be hiring here soon.
Ooh, Fee, that does sound good. I'd love some details if that's ok? It's something I've been considering for a few years, but now seems like a good time to go for it. Glad to hear it's worked out for you :hugish:

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

No problem.

I live in Hechuan, which is a small city outside the big city of Chongqing.

Its in the southern area of China. Its a university and the students speak pretty good English, we just teach them how to use the language more than teaching them the actual language.

We earn 4000 yuan a month (at the moment, that's £400), which is more than enough to live on. We have an apartment that is paid for and we don't pay for bills. Medical care is really cheap and there is an onsite doctor.
I teach for 18 hours a week and then there's 2 hours of English Corner. There are opportunities for more classes for which you get extra pay if you want.

We get a 2 month break over January/February, which is paid, and a week in October and some time at Mayday (they're debating now over whether it's 3 or 7 days). They also pay for our flights to and from here, the flight to here is paid in January, and the flight home is paid in June. We paid for the flights to start with, and then they pay us back.

If you want details of this college, let me know and i'll get our co-ordinator to get in touch with you.

I'm hoping to move to Xi'An for the next academic year, and i have a contact agency who are looking for me. Let me know if you want their details.

If you want to live here, let me know and i'll see if i can get my contract renewed and get you to live here, so i can share with a like-minded Isher!! Oooh...there's a great wool shop down the road...and wool heaven in Chongqing!

bryony
Tom Good
Tom Good

Fee that sounds incredible! (especially the knitting shop!) I've got an interview this week for a job (abroad!), but if that doesn't work out I'll be seriously considering this. Would I need to start applying soon?

I hope you're ok with the earthquake situation out there. It must be scary even if it is far away. Sending healing thoughts :hugish:

Oh, and I have another thing to add to the list (not sure what number we're on): fixing my bike and actually using it! :cheers:

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm fine. The earthquake was in Qinghai, which is hundreds of miles away. Its near somewhere that i travelled over the festival. We weren't affected at all.

If you want to apply, PM me and i'll give you my email address. Send me your details and i'll pass them on to a few people i know. If you go through an agency, they charge fees. I paid £185 to get this job, for nothing but an email...

At the moment, i'm applying for a place in Xi'an (central China, home of the Terracotta Warriors), its a beautiful city. If you want to go there too, i'll send your details to the same place i'm applying to. Its a Chinese agency and isn't costing anything.

Getting new jobs here is like one of those 'foot in the door' things. If you know someone, you don't get charged a fortune! Its easier to get someone to recommend you then pay an agency. If you need any help, give me a shout and i'll send you some links. If you want to teach with me, that's even easier!

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

homemade hotscones, homemade raspberry jam and lashings of organic whipped cream, lots and lots of organic chocolate and forget the cheap wine if your going to have a creative evening and creative moan , then you need good friends and good wine, preferrably homemade
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

SaveSomeGreen
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Fakewell Tart and vanilla icecream, whilst watching lots of river cottage,

Fakewell tart recipe here

http://www.savesomegreen.co.uk/pages.php?pageid=20

So tasty it has too work, I know when I eat it I can think of nothing else!!! especially good with fresh blackberries ( I used my frozen ones and it worked just as well)
Frugal is it's own reward

SaveSomeGreen.co.uk
Saving the Environment and your pocket