Please tell me the truth...

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
Susie
A selfsufficientish Regular

Please tell me the truth...

Are these things I can take/ wear out of the house? I'm trying to teach myself to sew and I'm also trying to use up fabric I've already got rather than buying new, so the colour combinations aren't necessarily what I'd have chosen in an ideal world. Also my partner who has very different taste to me hasn't stopped laughing since I showed him the bag. So please tell me the truth: am I going to be stared at on the streets of Cambridge? I've got reasonably thick skin (reasonably.)

Bag (this is from a pattern. I'll only carry it if I'm wearing something plain!)

Sun dress (this is from a pattern as well, but you don't need a pattern really, you just sew a big tube and shirr (sp?) it.)
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

Mullein
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Please tell me the truth...

I think they are both fabulous. Looked at your other stuff too - I do like a funky fabric!

Let Cambridge stare - I bet that Alys lassie would wear them...
:flower:

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Well, all I can say is that your taste in fabric is obviously far better than your taste in men :lol:

I absolutely love the dress and think you should wear it all the time (I suppose you'd look a bit silly wearing it in the snow so best to stick to wearing it in the summer).

I adore the fabrics of the bag. As you say, it needs something plain. It'd go really well with jeans and a denim jacket. I would use it as the sort of bag you carry specific stuff in rather than a general handbag (does that make any sense at all to you as it doesn't to me). What I mean is, the sort of bag I'd use to carry wine and choccies when going round to a friends, or for putting my dancing shoes in. It sort of says, I'm funky and trendy so use this occasionally but I will carry a subtle little handbag as well to show I have taste.

Just drag your boyfriend into Accessorize sometime soon, he'll think your bag is really subtle then.

Go for it, they're both great.

Zoe

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

Honestly? You should be very proud of both of them! You say you're a beginner? The bag is excellent, did you patchwork that? That's very good. It would look great if you wear something quite plain with a few colourful accessories. And the dress? Oh the dress! The colours, patterns, shape is gorgeous! I love it, I'd totally wear it. Where did you get the pattern? You'll look great wearing that in warm weather. Ignore your partners teasing, sometimes men just don't get it :lol:
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

southeast-isher

Not keen on the bag though well crafted i'm not struck on the diagonals but i must admit that dress is pretty damn incredible. Good stuff!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I think they're both lovely. Well done you :cheers:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I love them, all I can make is soft furnishings! I really ought to have a try at bags

Silver Ether

I like your stuff a lot ... I think the colours are awesome ... they almost make me want to add some colour to my wardrobe ... but I like black far to much :lol: Well done and stop being so can't think of the word ... errrr lacking in confidence ... your good :icon_smile:
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Truth
Love the dress, super mixture of colours/patterns, and the bag is well funky and cute.
But they don't go together
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

Well, I've just been trawling the net for something suitable for an upcoming occasion ... looking at all the fair tradey fashion type kooky places and your bag and dress would have blended with the stuff on sale for a LOT of money in many cases.
Well done :king:

I think the thing is to feel comfortable in what you're wearing in any given situation. I'm quite self conscious so tend to blend in in any activities I feel under scrutiny ... social occasions, anytime I'm feeling anxious etc. but wear what I like when I'm feeling comfortable and can take a bit of attention.

They're both super, just wear them when you feel comfortable and show off your skills
:thumbright:

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

You have made two beautiful items and should show them off, though as SD said, not together.

I would buy either (though I'd need to loose quite a bit to fit in your dress!), if they were in a hand-crafted shop.

My honest opinion: try not to worry too much about other people's taste. Don't assume they stare in criticism, they probably stare in envy and admiration!

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

scallywag
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

They both look great.

Also, I remember there was a guy about 7-8 years ago that used to wander up and down Mill Road with, I swear, a loaf of bread on his head (he used a belt buckled under his chin to secure it). So what do you have to lose!

JulieSherris

Susie.... first slap your hubby.....

Then wear what you've made with pride. I love the dress - I keep having these dreams where I can wear dresses around here, with sandals.... then I wander outside, see all the chook poo, look at the banks & remember the stinging nettles & brambles.... and the dream bubble is burst!
Maybe one day...... :lol:

In the meantime, keep sewing, and if hubby carries on, make him a shirt :wink:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Rosendula

Susie wrote:I'm trying to teach myself to sew
I think you should change that to "I taught myself to sew and graduated with honours"
Rosey xx

Keaniebean

The bag and the dress are lovely, well done to you. I totally agree with Julie... give your husband a slap! :iconbiggrin:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.