FITs

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
dave45
A selfsufficientish Regular

FITs

Has anyone succumbed to the temptations of the nre feed-in tariff subsidies?

Does it make economic sense in this crappy UK climate?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: FITs

Sorry Dave, I've got no idea what you're talking about. A fuller explanation would be useful (for me anyway - I've not seen the news in over a fortnight or read a paper).
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Millymollymandy

I thought it was just me! :lol: But I've got an excuse cos I live in France. :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

As an aside (I don't know what FITs are either), I finally got my wind turbine up and running last week and thanks to this horrible north wind, it has been generating all our electricity for the last 4 days.
Everthing apart from the electric kettle and the oven that is, I wired the kitchen on a different circuit where all the heavy weight electrics are.
So it has achieved one good thing at least .... I don't moan quite so much when it's windy now. :cheers:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's a bit of a job to say Susie, I think I need a bit more than a week to estimate the payback time. :iconbiggrin:
My system is one with batteries, mainly because I could tinker away to my hearts content, but if I were to start again from scratch I would probably go for a grid tie system.
I also thought a battery system would be cheaper as I got a second hand ex UPS inverter as opposed to an expensive certified grid tie inverter, but with all the add-ons I think it would have been about the same price.
Plus a grid tie is more or less a "set up and forget" system where mine needs a tinker now and again.
So, ask me in a years time if it's going to pay for itself and I'll let you know then.

In the meantime, if you want some sensible answers to specific questions feel free to PM me.
Tony

paul123456
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

hello there ,
this is a bad example of a post being ignored .
Dave asks a question abouts fits , even i as a foreigner can make out what he means , feeding power back to the grid .
But then the discussion blazes up of people discussing an other topic than the original question was asked about.
Do like to see discussions about alt energy , but do not forget Dave did ask a question.

Here in Germany we get 44 euro ceny per kwh that we feed back in to the net , neighboring farmer has a 33kwh setup , makes a nice small income , and he is looking for another 30kwh.
And then when you go to a bank to get it financed it is no problem.
Oh yes , the government gives a guaranteed price fixed for 20 Years !

Cannot imagine a uk or dutch goverment doing that .

regards ,

Paul

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Paul, the nature of this forum is that topics frequently amble around, it how most of us like it, please don't give moderators a telling off. They were still on topic.

OH and I are looking into this, the government legislated tariffs seem to make it all worth while but what the cost will be to the taxpayer (or net electricity consumer) in the long term is not quite clear. I have looked at some figures and, from a selfish point of view I want to go ahead and install PV but I know that the technology just isn't good enough to make it truly worth while yet.

To install a wind turbine we would need planning permission and to remove neighbours trees - so that plan is shelved for the time being.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK then, to get back onto topic.
The rate here is 19 cent per KWh but only for the first 4000 applicants and only guaranteed for 3 years.
On the upside domestic wind turbines are exempt from planning permission provided they are installed no higher than 10m and have a rotor diameter of 3m or less.
Same pretty much applies to solar panels, they are exempt for less than 12 sq/m or 50% of your roof area.

But also living in a foreign land, I still don't know what "the nre feed-in tariff subsidies?" are in the original post, plus if I get asked an off topic question surely it would be very rude of me to ignore the questioner ? :scratch:
Tony

Millymollymandy

paul123456 wrote:hello there ,
this is a bad example of a post being ignored .
Dave asks a question abouts fits , even i as a foreigner can make out what he means , feeding power back to the grid .
But then the discussion blazes up of people discussing an other topic than the original question was asked about.
Do like to see discussions about alt energy , but do not forget Dave did ask a question.

Paul
First of all I think you mean a good example, not a bad one. A bad example of something being ignored would be a thread that wasn't being ignored!

Second, he asked a question, sure. Several of us then asked him what he was talking about as we haven't a clue. We are still waiting for him to come back and tell us. So WE who are awaiting the answer actually are the ones being ignored!

Your only input to this forum of late is criticism, yet you don't come back to those threads to reply to those who answer you! Why is that?

paul123456
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

hello there ,

this is what i mean ,the original question has been asked , but the discussion in not going on about it .
The original question was about fits .
Why I do not answer replys , well 1st ly i do not have internet access 24/7.
2nd ly do not feel much for argueing with people .
3rd ly I do not think people re being themselves on such sites , on important matters people do not react or pay attention .
Maybe start a new thread about this , even now we are not discussing the original topic .
Yes i am a critic , i know too much , seen too much .

regards ,

Paul

Millymollymandy

this is what i mean ,the original question has been asked , but the discussion in not going on about it .
3rd ly I do not think people re being themselves on such sites , on important matters people do not react or pay attention .
Maybe start a new thread about this , even now we are not discussing the original topic .

regards ,

Paul
And again as I have already said,the discussion cannot go on about it as the original poster has not come back to explain what he meant, so we are all still waiting in limbo here.

Which is so like your posts of late, continually criticising this forum yet you don't come back to the thread you start or make critical comments in, to discuss it further or explain what it is you meant.

Criticising moderators for going off topic, when those moderator are trying to explain to you why that is happening, is not entirely sensible.

If you don't feel like arguing with people, why make such arrogant and critical postings which are bound to upset or annoy people? :scratch:
I have absolutely no idea what you mean by this. The forum is full of people asking questions which are important to THEM and in most cases getting the answers they needed. Please reread your posting in this thread http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... 03#p189203 and tell me why you didn't answer the question YOU were asked??????

More importantly, you started this provocative and critical thread about this forum
http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... =4&t=18352

You were asked questions by the people who responded but you never bothered to answer them. If you are going to make posts like that you should come back to the threads and respond and explain yourself.

I suggest that if you don't like this forum and have nothing positive to say then you find a forum which suits you better, or stop complaining.

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

regards ,

Paul

I think the forgoing is sufficient reason to close this thread.

Just my opinion
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I tend to agree, although we need to give Dave45 some tie to answer the original question. He is often not around for a while.

I have no idea why Paul's got his knickers in a twist, although it seems to have been going on for a while and is getting increasingly vitriolic. I don't, however, think his ill-humour should stop the rest of us finding what a flipping FIT is :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

mew
Living the good life
Living the good life

FIT's are Feed In Tariffs

Widely used in europe to grow renewables after much delay the UK has finally done the same.

If you want to now more please check out

[url]http://www.decc.gov.uk/en/content/cms/w ... ariff.aspx[/url]

Hope this helps

x

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

There's been some discussion recently on radio4 about feed in Tarriffs, if you have a lot of money and space to produce a lot of electricity you get paid to use your own electricity and then get paid even more to sell excess back to the grid.
However if you only produce from wind/water or small photovoltaic to battery you get nothing.
It appears to me that you'll need at least £20,000 spare - then you can make a lot of money, it's an investment not green living.
And if you can't make any (rented house/flat/caravan) you get to pay more eventually as the prices of grid electric will go up to pay those who are producing
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6: