who here keeps a sight hound?

Due to popular demand, here is the section to discuss everything to do with our pets. Please remember though to post any queries regarding pet livestock in the livestock section as you are more likely to get the right response there!
ADG
Living the good life
Living the good life

who here keeps a sight hound?

does anyone keep a lurcher , whippet or greyhound, and if you do, do you use it towards being self sufficient?

marshlander
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: who here keeps a sight hound?

Friends at a nearby smallholding have two lurchers although one looks more like an alsation cross pony They bought them in sacks from travellers who threatened to drown the puppies if our friends didn't buy them! :shock:
The dogs are bonkers but friendly when you get to know them. Trouble is, one glimse of a rabbit or something and they're off! Gone for ages but they always come back. just as well we're surrounded by miles and miles of farmland.

Are you thinking of getting one to catch game for you? Would suit us or our friends as we're veggie. :lol:
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

JulieSherris

My hubby used to keep a pair of lurchers for lamping when he lived in the north-east.
They were great for catching the rabbits - but I've banned him from getting one here - just not practical with all of our free range birds & the low fences, woods, small lambs etc that surround us!
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

ADG
Living the good life
Living the good life

I already keep them, if brought up correctly then theres no prob with sheep etc, mine move away from their bowls if the chickens want the grub, yet they will peg pheasants we catch loads of rabbits etc, its just that many ishers keep dogs, but if it cant put dinner on the table then its a waste of resources imo,
heres a lot of dinners

heres a chicken thief sorted out