'The Edible Garden' starts at 8pm on BBC 2 on April the 7th

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

'The Edible Garden' starts at 8pm on BBC 2 on April the 7th

As mentioned by SusieGee in the Permaculture Magazine thread a bit more info here on the forthcoming BBC series 'The Edible Garden' starting at 8pm on BBC 2 on April the 7th. Sounds great!
The Edible Garden finds presenter Alys Fowler setting out to prove that growing and cooking your own fruit and vegetables is hugely rewarding, cost-effective and life-enhancing. The series follows her across the growing year as she transforms her garden into a place where peas climb up roses, lettuces sit happily next to sunflowers and dwarf beans edge the path. Alys creates tasty dishes from the produce she has grown and meets the experts who will show her how to preserve, pickle and store her wares. As well as looking after her chickens, she forages in the hedgerows and finds out about other projects such as urban bee-keeping.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/comingup/the-edible-garden/

thesunflowergal

Re: 'The Edible Garden' starts at 8pm on BBC 2 on April the 7th

Sounds interesting, thanks very much!!

Why does her name ring a bell??
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

southeast-isher

she was on gardener's world i think, and she is on the cover of a book in the shops

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alys_Fowler

citizentwiglet

Of course, it does help the BBC that she is a bit of a babe..............I wish I looked that whimiscal and eco-chic pristine after a few hours of gardening.

She's the only presenter on GW I know who can pot on seedlings barehandedly without getting a spec of dirt on her perfectly manicured nails.........though, to be fair, she is usually seen mimisily waving out of potting shed windows at Joe doing all the hard work.

Jealous? Moi?
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aw now come on - Alys is no babe! But I do like her - she's a very intelligent young lady who knows her stuff, and I'd listen to her any day, all day. And yes, that bit of hair always floating across her face sort of makes her look attractive in a rustic kind of way. And her somewhat shy but assertive approach is very comforting.

Bit of a babe, really.

Oh - hang on ...

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Millymollymandy

Ergh. I don't like her so I don't think I could cope with a whole programme presented by her. I didn't like the veggie series presented by Carol Klein either, although I do like her in small doses! :iconbiggrin: Come to think of it I can't think of any female presenters other than Carol who I actually warm to. :dontknow:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have to agree with you MMM, I can't stand either of them or GW come to that.
It always gets up my nose a bit that Carol Klein always calls plants by their Latin names, even primroses she makes a point of calling "Primula Vulgaris", which although correct I suppose, it makes her appear to be showing off because she's cleverer that us mere mortals.
And as for GW (sorry for starting a sentence with "and"), how can novice and wanabee gardeners relate to their setup with a multi thousand pound greenhouse and expensive garden ornaments and planters. I have to admit I only watched the first one this year (last week & this week seem to be all flowers), but Alys Fowler was sowing Sweet Pea seeds in special deep root trainer pots .... no mention of sowing them in toilet roll tubes like us ordinary folk have always done.
To me it's the television equivalent of a coffee table magazine.

Sorry about the rant :mrgreen:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I will undoubtedly watch it avidly, babe or not. :lol:

As I've watched them all - the best one was Geoff Hamilton's Ornamental Kitchen Garden. It's the only programme I've ever bought the book of (from? for? feeling ungrammatical today).

I do miss Geoff.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

southeast-isher

Was just searching on YouTube to check out the babe-factor and found a vid of her growing an avacado houseplant. I'm going to try this :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAcrc-fyqr8

John Headstrong

Let us hope that this program is aimed at people on a tight budget rather than middle class half an acre garden posse who waste money on "deep root trainers" and then pat them selves on the back when they recycle their loo roll insert :banghead:

She did a "The credit crunch gardener" series of articles for the Daily mail a few years back, lets hope it is more along them lines.

In theory this is exactly the sort of program that Ish should promote, I will wait to see the threads that appear after it is broadcast

and it is presented by a red head babe :wink: awesome :thumbleft:

Millymollymandy

I think she's really ugly!

She was introduced to us at the end of one series of GW as the Head Gardener of Berryfields. She did a few slots and then suddenly there she was a full blown member of the presenting team and suddenly moved to the new GW garden. I wonder if she really was the Head Gardener and they saw some TV presenting skills in her?

I've gone off GW big time and hate the new garden, which they never show us in full. I have no idea how anything links to anything else. Bring back Berryfields, but with Geoff Hamilton (yes I know!!!) but that's my ideal programme. :iconbiggrin: I do like Joe Swift's allotment bits though.

southeast-isher

She's grown on me like Japanese knotweed i must admit, i find her attractive in a geeky way. :oops:

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

It always gets up my nose a bit that Carol Klein always calls plants by their Latin names, even primroses she makes a point of calling "Primula Vulgaris", which although correct I suppose, it makes her appear to be showing off because she's cleverer that us mere mortals.
Well, for us foreigners it is mighty handy when Latin names are used. And I did spot her using loo roll inserts for root cuttings, so she really isn't a snob or anything.

I'm curious about the new series with Alys Fowler; will certainly watch the first episodes to check out if it is worthwile. I'm in the process of making my own garden this spring. First raised beds are being built now. Perhaps I can glean some ideas from this series. I have the Ornamental Kitchen Garden made by Geoff Hamilton on DVD. Very nice.

Millymollymandy

Yes they were using loo roll tubes on GW last week!

I've never used one in my life and have no need to as I've got hundreds and hundreds of plant pots in all sizes - every time I buy a plant - guess what? It comes in a POT!!! It doesn't make me a snob/coffee table magazine gardener. :scratch: I also know the Latin for a lot of plants - again comes in handy overseas but is rather annoying in France that a lot of the mail order companies don't use the Latin, just the common name. :banghead:

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Here is a clip of her at the Greenpeace "Airplot":-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvwZDasYbF8

I've watched this and the avocado clip and remember a girlfriend I had in '68/'69 with the same taste in specs! Wonder where Alys got them .......

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.