Too much compost!

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Too much compost!

Hi everyone, I haven't been on here much recently and it's lovely to see lots of new people! I have a problem. We eat LOADS of veg everyday so we always have a pile of veg peelings. We've filled all our compost bins now so I don't know what to do with it, I'm not going to send it to the landfill. I'm careful not to waste any food, it's literally just stuff like onion skins, tough peelings etc. Does anyone have any ideas about what to do with excess? Some amazing stock instructions or anything else I could use it for in the garden? Or homebrew recipes?? Onion skin wine?? :iconbiggrin:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Too much compost!

Have you turned your compost? You'll find if you do that, and get someone to pee on it when no-one's looking (I generally find men are better at that sort of thing :lol: ) your compost will break down really quickly.

I'm a bit stunned at you filling everything - are your bins must be really tiny or are you throwing away edible bits? We've got three dalek type bins. The first on filled up quite quickly because we put loads of garden waste - cabbage stumps, bean plants, grass cuttings etc in. But by the time we were half way up the second one the first had collapsed right down. In spring we'll turn them both over into the third one and start again - there'll be some usable compost out of it, leaving the rest to have another year.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

May sound a bit counter productive, but you could consider adding some horse manure with straw bedding, should help it break down faster. Definately turn it a few times too.

And if you live anywhere near Lancashire I could help take some of it !

Sarah :flower:
Sarah :flower:

Harasimow
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

You could just dig veg peelings straight into a trench in the ground where you are growing peas, broadbeans or runnerbeans. Usually its better to add kitchen waste to the compost heap first as they use up nitrogen as they break down but plants of the fabaceae (pea) familly can fix their own nitrogen from the air!

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

You need other things than veg peelings to make compost. I'd have a good read of this information which will help you to get your compost to rot down fairly rapidly.

You should be looking at all the other things listed on the link above along with all the information that you are given on making compost. That way you will end up with usable compost rather than just a heap which sounds a bit like your problem at the moment. :mrgreen:

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

lovelygreenleaves wrote:...
Onion skin wine?? :iconbiggrin:
You can dye wool with onion skins :profileright: but there'll still be onion skins left when you're done :silent:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

Harasimow wrote:You could just dig veg peelings straight into a trench in the ground where you are growing peas, broadbeans or runnerbeans. Usually its better to add kitchen waste to the compost heap first as they use up nitrogen as they break down but plants of the fabaceae (pea) familly can fix their own nitrogen from the air!
Don't put potato peelings in a bean trench though or you'll get loads of little spud plants popping up where you don't want them!

I learned this the hard way :roll:

wulf

Mrs Moustoir wrote:Don't put potato peelings in a bean trench though or you'll get loads of little spud plants popping up where you don't want them!
Do you get a potato crop? Are the nitrogen fixing plants essential to the process? I'm interested because this sounds like a brilliant way to get extra value out of a bag of potatoes if the peelings are likely to germinate into something useful.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

Can say anything about the science Wulf, I just made a bean trench, lined it with newspaper/cardboard and dumped in all the peelings willy-nilly. Had loads of little spud plants (AND a a couple of tomato plants too) popping up here and there in amongst the runner bean plants.

I did leave a few in the hope that there would be some extra spuds, but when i dug them up - they were only marble sized. :(

spider8

How about setting up a wormery?
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Just dug ours over today and there's lots that hasn't rotted down yet but it has in the middle and at the bottom, that's now in huge pots ready for planting with spuds in march - they'll be put on a sunny patio to warm up and some has been thrown in a pile near to where we'll build a new bed - keep an old jug in the loo and pour urine into it, it will rot down quickly - I new have one empty bin and will leave the full one alonge - by summer it will be ready

Peggy Sue

I've been absent for a while too... new job so had to get organised! Still compost is my subject so what better to make a comeback!

I mix horse manure with my veggie stuff, and we eat shed loads of veg pluss all the old stalks etc from the allotment. At home I have a half size compost bin (made from small pallets so similar to a darlek) and given I put all that junk in I still don't fill it up completely, even with 4 sacks of manure a year mixed in. The manure really gets it going and makes lovely stuff in 18 months- crumbly, almost want to eat it!! (No sorry I really didn't mean that :lol: )

If you can get hold of chicken poo it's very concentrated so could do teh same job taking up less space....this is only hearsay not actaully tried by yours truely I must add. I've got my first shovel full this spring to add to the heap so time will tell....
Just Do It!

pelmetman

We have 5 compost bins (we seem to gain one every time we move) and I don't think you can ever have too much compost, as another poster said if you turn out your bin you will probably find some stuff ready at the bottom :icon_smile:
At the last house I named each bin after a political party as I find they are like compost, as they are full of useless c%^&p and if you want it to be of any good you have to turn the whole lot out on a regular basis :lol:
I prefer the traditional timber compost bins to the plastic dalek type.

Sue wants to add her bit :dontknow:

But from a ladies point of view, yes Dave has the brawn and brains to actually build the compost bins which are great, but us ladies mainly have to fill them. Who does the weeding, collecting all the veg peelings, tea bags, coffee grounds etc and fill the things! Oops forget the summer grass cuttings. What man doesnt love his lawn. Its mown one way then the other to make sure the stripes are just so. Yes it looks OK but me I'd prefer more flower beds. Still between us it all fills the compost bins.
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

marshlander

I'm sure I read that Blueberries like tea/tea leaves - we just planted 3 in a bungalow bath.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey