Eggs without shells???? Help please

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
JulieSherris
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Eggs without shells???? Help please

Ah.... maybe the shells need to be crushed to a fine powder before the calcium can be absorbed, Red?
I got the info from: http://www.makeitandmendit.com/2009/07/ ... eggshells/

I now have a bag on the back door for the collection of used egg shells - hubby really thinks I've lost it now!! :mrgreen:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

shell
Living the good life
Living the good life

i also give my hens crushed egg shells in with their pellets,although i `ve been told calcium is already in the chicken pellets,
ps, i meant oyster shell not oyster grit sorry,the grit my hens dont need as they free range and get enough from the ground where they root around,
shel

Millymollymandy

I put oyster shell in a separate dish too and I'm always amazed how much they go through when they are laying. They don't touch the stuff when they are off lay. (I only have a few hens so I can notice these things!). So that tells me there isn't enough in layers pellets.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

red

JulieSherris wrote:Ah.... maybe the shells need to be crushed to a fine powder before the calcium can be absorbed, Red?
I got the info from: http://www.makeitandmendit.com/2009/07/ ... eggshells/

I now have a bag on the back door for the collection of used egg shells - hubby really thinks I've lost it now!! :mrgreen:
well its a popular idea to give them the egg shells back - but it is my understanding that this does not give them calcium, and i would crush them for sure, as you dont want to encourage egg eating.

of course.. strictly speaking you cannot give any kitchen leftovers to hens.

also it is worth remembering that if a hen fills up on anything other than the pellets, then it wont be getting the nutrients in the pellets.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Alexandra
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Well, I haven't given the egg shells back to the hens, but I do dry them out and crush them to put around the vegetables to stop the slugs eating my seedlings - works a treat!