Chillis

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
matt_w
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Chillis

We have a nice bumper crop of Chillis this year (330 off 6 plants).

I got a tip to freeze them, but I'm sure after 6 months they will be past their best due to freezer burn.

I was wondering, if I dried them out, and bunged them in the (cutting blade) coffee grinder if I could make a nice chilli powder, although it will be a bit lumpy. I've got a better coffee grinder on our 1970s kenwood chef which should get a more even powder, but I'm not sure I really want to put chilli through it in case I ever want it for coffee again..

Either way I'm willing to experiment on this but I'm not sure, should I put the whole chilli including seeds in, or do I need to process them?

Thanks!

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Chillis

Aha - I was wondering quite how I could get chilli flakes from my dried chillies - they are bloody hard to try to chop but they don't just crunch up into flakes either!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Biscombe
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

You could make some smoked chilli powder too, works well with milder chillies and garlic, yummy!

I've had chillies in the freezer for over a year with no signs of freezer burn, I wouldn't worry.

subgirl
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Try pickling them, keeps for ages and you can use them in both cooking and eat them raw on salads and such. Great in couscous salad or in a kebab.

My dad tends to mince them up really fine and feeze them in icecube trays for cooking size portions, does it with ginger and garlic too. but i guess you would need a fair few icecube trays for that many chillis :?

alec-ish

hi biscombe how are you smoking those chillis in the picture looks really good!

Big Al

alec-ish wrote:hi biscombe how are you smoking those chillis in the picture looks really good!
I'd be interested in the process also Biscombe although to me it looks like a metal bucket with the bottom knocked out and a bit of mess on the top. I wonder if it would be easier or get a better smoked effect if you covered the top of the pail to trap in the smoke ? I once bought some barbeque chips that were bits of wood that were hickory or were bits of wood soaked in hickory scent etc and you put these on the barbeque coals as you put the meat on.

It's a long time ago and the memory bits are not as good as they used to be so I'll watch this with interest.

(medium) Big Al
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Big Al

As a side topic to this I was in the local asian food market t'other day and asked if he had any hot chillies. He said he had naga chillies but they would be too hot for a white man!! I bought 2 for 40p and by bugger me bob they were damn hot. like real skin tingleing eye burning face sweating hot but I enjoyed them.... Maybe next time I'll only put half of one in a garlic sandwich.........

M Big al
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

matt_w

Big Al wrote:As a side topic to this I was in the local asian food market t'other day and asked if he had any hot chillies. He said he had naga chillies but they would be too hot for a white man!! I bought 2 for 40p and by bugger me bob they were damn hot. like real skin tingleing eye burning face sweating hot but I enjoyed them.... Maybe next time I'll only put half of one in a garlic sandwich.........

M Big al

Hello, hope you don't mind me being a bit cheeky, but would you mind posting me one, or the seeds from a left over one? I'll put a couple of quid in the next charity box for your trouble. PM if you are willing and I'll send you my address.

Matthew

Millymollymandy

Big Al wrote:As a side topic to this I was in the local asian food market t'other day and asked if he had any hot chillies. He said he had naga chillies but they would be too hot for a white man!! I bought 2 for 40p and by bugger me bob they were damn hot. like real skin tingleing eye burning face sweating hot but I enjoyed them.... Maybe next time I'll only put half of one in a garlic sandwich.........

M Big al
:lol: :lol: :lol: This brings up visions of HFW who seems to like biting into chillies and then nearly explodes! I am sensible and just test them by dabbing a teeny bit on my tongue. :iconbiggrin: But chilli sandwiches, I have to hand it to you, Big Al! :salute: :salute: :salute:

Biscombe
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Back to smoking.........
I found a knackered old pan, bought a single electric hob from the car book for 5 euros, shaped some mesh to fit on the top slowly started smoldering a mix of hickory (don't have many) and seasoned grape vine cuttings.
Lid on then smoke for around 2 hours. Finish off drying in the top of a wood burner. Pop the dried chillies into a coffee grinder then you have the powder. Job done. I would highly recommend this economical method of smoking. So far I've tried..

Tabasco - very hot, think this will last a while!
Aji Angelo and garlic - lovely fruity and mild
Jalapeno ancho and garlic - the best!!

Biscombe
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Big Al wrote:
alec-ish wrote:hi biscombe how are you smoking those chillis in the picture looks really good!
looks like a metal bucket with the bottom knocked out and a bit of mess on the top. I wonder if it would be easier or get a better smoked effect if you covered the top of the pail to trap in the smoke ? I
(medium) Big Al
Al, the lid was off just for the photo, and the pan kept whole and put on a low heat over an electric hob with the chips in the bottom.

Big Al

Biscombe wrote:Back to smoking.........
I found a knackered old pan, bought a single electric hob..............
so that's me told off !!

PM sent Matthew
Back to smoking..........
Secret Asparagus binger

Biscombe
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

:oops: didn't think I was telling you off, sorry :oops:

Millymollymandy

You weren't Biscombe, but I couldn't understand Big Al's post. He does have a bit of a warped sense of humour though! :iconbiggrin:

Big Al

Millymollymandy wrote:You weren't Biscombe, but I couldn't understand Big Al's post. He does have a bit of a warped sense of humour though! :iconbiggrin:
Sorry, I thought it was a reprimand as I'd hijacked the thread. As for understanding me or my posts... You think I do ?? My wife has been trying to understand me for 22 odd years now and I still defy her....

Again appologies for reading it wrong...

M Big Al
Secret Asparagus binger