Spare gold

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Spare gold

Just seen an advert asking people to, "put their spare gold into a bag and send it off". Now I don't know about you but I don't have any gold, let alone any spare gold. How decadent are the daytime viewing population?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Spare gold

Lol! That advert amuses me. You send off for an envelope to put your gold in and expect that it's going to arrive safely? :? What happens if it's accidentaly ripped and it all falls out? They say it's insured - but how can they insure it when they don't know how much it's worth? I'm guessing it's aimed at those who bought all their gold from Argos in the 80's when it was fashionable and they now want to sell it to buy other shiney stuff! :lol:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've heard that the envelopes fall under a standard insurance arrangement - which means that you could claim to a maximum value of £10.

Oh Wow!!!!!

You'd get a better deal hawking your gold around the local jewellers.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Russian Doll

lol we have a gold man who comes to our flats to ask for gold...the first time i said no have nothing he looked at me as if i was insane...apparantly us council lot always have gold teeth :pukeright:

Masco&Bongo
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.930141
longitude: -2.969870

I've got a very small amount of cheap gold that I have been musing over.... think I will take it to a local jewellers, rather than send it off to a faceless company!!
"Its not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" - Bruce Wayne

Blog: http://mistressofmeals.blogspot.com/

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I have a choker-style necklace that's broken. I had a quote for getting it repaired but it was more than the necklace is worth. So I guess that could go. But I definitely wouldn't send it off in the post.

I've also got the odd single earring where I've lost it's partner.

Gold is probably one of those things you collect with age, and I guess women tend to have more of it. So, Andy, you need to get a bit older and have gender reassignment surgery, then you'd have some gold to send off.

Zoe

anarchistinslippers
Tom Good
Tom Good

I love the way one of the ads says "Rings, Necklaces, etc. etc. DENTAL"

Dental?! (fetches shovel) Time to visit Grandma methinks!

Sorry. It's been a long day and my dark sense of humour comes out at night.
"All I want is peace, to grow potatoes and to dream" Moomin (Tove Jansson)

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

I found the remains of one of those 'sovereign' rings once (looked like a ring pull) so it got sold to the door to door chap, but when I found an odd earring it went to a friend who makes silver jewellry in case he could use it as embellishment. but a whole envelope full?? ya joshing yes?
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Susiwaa
Tom Good
Tom Good

We get random and very badly photocopied leaflets through our door every few months about these.

I also noticed there was a wee stall set up in our local shopping centre doing the same thing.

Not my idea of a good deal really!

:flower:

Susi

Graye

I suppose "spare" and "gold" aren't really two words which naturally go together are they?

I must admit I have a selection of odd little bits and pieces accumulated over the years though. When OH and I got married I had several old family wedding rings and odds and ends made into new rings for us. The jeweller didn't charge a lot and the rings were re-hallmarked at the lowest level of the gold I gave him, they ended up as 18 carat as there was a mixture of 18, 22 and even a tiny bit of 24 in the mix. The last lot of silver bits I had were given to a friend's daughter who was doing jewellery at college and melted them down to "create".

Better to do something like that than let them all disappear forever in an envelope!
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's really weird. We don't get any of that sort of stuff and definitely no-one wh comes door to door!

Us Aussies must not have any gold!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well known fact, Nev :iconbiggrin:

Australians have the bush, spiders and snakes - what would they be wanting gold for?

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Millymollymandy

I wouldn't necessarily sell jewellery just for its gold weight, it might be worth more as a piece in its own right anyway.

Now the dental bit reminds me of when I accidentally swallowed a gold crown which had come lose, and I tried to retrieve it. After 4 days searching I gave up and paid for a new crown to be made. :mrgreen:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

catboy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

seen the ad, what troubles me is, how do we know its not some criminal mastermind, whos collecting all the gold to make some kind of a laser gun thingy that he'll use to fire into the sun unless we make him world emporer..mmmm???

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

We have the 'Golden Mile' in Leicester, where the Indian Jewelery shops are. They are only too pleased to buy broken or unwanted gold from you to refashion.

Most jewelers will give you an idea of the value of your piece, both as scrap gold value & as a piece of jewelery. They can also advise if your piece is of historical interest.

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!