The self sufficientish book crossing - free reads for all

By popular demand - The book review section.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

The self sufficientish book crossing - free reads for all

For those of you who have not heard of the book crossing phenomenon it is probally best described by their site "the practice of leaving a book in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise."

I thought it might be quite nice to do one ourselves and just amongst forum members. We have been gratiously given a book from the eco-logic people called composting with worms by G.Pilkington. Once myself and Dave have read it and posted a review we want to send it onto someone else to also write a review, then they posts it onto the next person who writes a review and then the next.

Not sure what to do when the line finishes I guess the last person keep hold of it until such a time that someone else joins in.

So who want to review composting with worms by G.Pilkington next?
Last edited by Andy Hamilton on Sat May 19, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

hedgewizard
A selfsufficientish Regular

I'll take a raincheck on that one for the moment - not that I don't want to read it, it's just that I'm quite likely to lose it at the moment. Our builders have announced a three-week delay to us getting back into the house - was April 1st, now April 22nd, so we have to move to a holiday cottage that they've laid on for us 25 minutes away. The garden just became zone 4! So I can't plant anything in the polytunnel for another couple of weeks... :-(

So stick me a couple of names down the list!

Shirley

I'd love to do it... and can throw another book into the ssish bookcrossing in return......

I've got Eco Chic by Rebecca Tanqueray - so I guess in true bookcrossing style... who wants to read and review it after me???
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cool Shirlz Pm me your address and composting with worms is yours next.... Might take a week or so for myself and Dave to find the time to get through it. Looks like a pretty useful book so far.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

ina

I'll put my name down next - and Shirley can pass it on to me whenever we meet again! (Saves postage...)
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

circlecross

what is the book eco-chic? Is it a celebration of all us lovely eco-types and how groomed and trendy we are?...

Susan
"yum, yum, piggy's bum!"

http://www.myspace.com/circlecross_73

Shirley

Oops this thread seems to have been lost...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eco-Chic-Organi ... &s=gateway

It professes to be the definitive guide to organic living, tracing it's development in four key areas - food and drink, interiors and design, health & beauty, and fashion and style - and illustrating through a series of beautiful photographs and enlightening text numerous ways to adjust your lifestyle to the green movement. In addition, Eco Chic offers tips for taking care of your health holistically and naturally, practical and inspirational ideas for an organic diet and, best of all, it will show you how you can help save the planet without compromising your lifestyle!

It's definitely more of a book to 'dip into' rather than one to read cover to cover... it's almost like a collection of magazines within one hard cover... lots of stuff that we already know but little nuggets of information in there too.

I've actually become rather attached to my copy now... so I'm sorry, but I'm withdrawing it from the bookcrossingish... it would cost too much to post anyway.

I've got a suggestion as to how this might take off though - instead of a bookcrossingish idea.. why don't we pick a book each month that we can get from the library etc... and anyone that wants to join in can read it and review it/chat about it.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shirlz - if no-one's taken Eco chic, can i read it please?

I'll throw in Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser.

Its about the rise of the fast food phenomenom and what its meant to consumers, suppliers and the rest of the world.