Mastitis

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
thesunflowergal
A selfsufficientish Regular

Mastitis

Has anyone got any thoughts please? I am 31 weeks pregnant, and I already have Mastitis :( . I went to see the Midwife today to confirm this. She recommended Savoy Cabbage leaves and paracetamol; does anyone else have any other ideas please?

The MW seemed to think that this is will happen again once my milk comes in, but I am desperate to BF and for everything to go as smoothly as possible.

Thanks Nikki
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

red

Re: Mastitis

poor you.

I did have it in the early days after having my son, and I remember my temperature shooting up and having the shakes so bad I was having trouble reading the paracetomol to see if i was allowed to take it!

but I did feed through this experience and learnt to recognise the problem signs and deal with them before they develop, and go on to bf for many months.

hopefully with the right support you shall manage too
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

thesunflowergal

Red,

How did you deal with the systoms please? As the advice that I have been given does not seem to be working to well.

Thanks Nikki
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:

red

I'll send a pm..
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was given penicillin (well flucoxicillin to be precise) when I had it, when LO was 9 days old. but the cabbage leaves helped relieve the pressure... but I also had to express to relieve the pressure too, don't know how you can do that when you are pregnant though:?

I had further complications though so I am not sure what good my advice really is :?
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Urban Ayisha
Living the good life
Living the good life

poor you! i took a cocktail of paracetomal and ibuprofen, but was also prescribed antibiotics which didnt work as it continued to reoccur for 9 weeks. thats not much help, but what i do think is my body eventually fought it off itself. i really sympathise with you as its horrible but if u can get it cleared up by any means (be it antibiotics) before baby is born it will be so much more of a relief to breastfeed without it!!

Ron and Jean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Mastitis is horrible. I had it with my second child as the the milk started to come in. There are lots of things you can do. I am a herbalist and prescribed myself stuff, but really you would be best seeing a western herbalist. The NIMH website has a list of practitioners. Anne MacIntyres 'A Womans Herbal' is a good reference book for anything related to pregnancy, childbirth and beyond.

Massage helps - especially if there is a lumpy sore bit. Doing this in a hot bath would be good just now. Once the baby is here massage any sore lumpy bits while they feed or in a hot bath. This frees the duct and prevents mastitis (the duct gets blocked, and then becomes inflamed and infected which is mastitis). If you can stop the ducts from getting blocked you don't get mastitis. Swinging your arms will also help stop ducts from getting blocked. If you get mastitis try to position the babys chin to the sore bit. I laid the baba in the bed and positioned myself over him (you try anything when desperate!). It is best to feed from the sore breast as much as possible to keep things flowing. Essential oils can help too, but again speak to a qualified practitioner.

I hope you manage to keep it at bay once the baby is here, and herbs can work as a great preventative.

Good luck. Babies are great! I am excited for you.....

thesunflowergal

Thanks everyone for the fab advise :hugish: . Its all gone without the aid of anti bugs!!

My four year old now thinks that cabbage leaves are a cure all, we had some very interesting discussions on the matter. One that took place after the mastitis went a bit like this:

Orin: Are you not feeling very well Mummy?
Me: Not really Orin, I have a headache.
Orin: Well why don't you put some cabbage leaves on your boobies then?

Bless her, I am just hoping that she does not hand out this advice in the playground. :lol:

Check out my blog:

kathleen
Tom Good
Tom Good

Acupuncture worked miracles on my mastitis!! Got rid of it overnight with one treatment. Wicked.