Allergies

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Helsbells
A selfsufficientish Regular

Allergies

Hi everyone,

I have something called allergic rhinitus which is basically like hayfever but all year round. I dont know exactly what it is I am allergic to.
I have been using a steroid nasel spray and antihistamines for over 5 years now and I am pretty sick of it. When I spoke to the doctor about it she told me that it might go on its own in time or when I have children. Well I dont really want to continue using a steriod nasel spray until this may or may not occur. So basically I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of some kind of alternative that I could use which might help. I cant use a steroid nasel spray if I get pregnant (which could be in a couple of years) So I would love to be rid of it before then. Life without the nasel spray is very miserable for me at the moment.
Any ideas would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Helen
x

lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Allergies

Aw poor you, I hope you find a solution. It isn't dust mites is it? If so, our carpet flea spray says it kills dust mites - I've never seen that before! It's called Indorex, quite a popular one which of course contains lots of horrible chemicals so not a great solution, but if you get desperate. Also washing bedding at 60 degrees kills them, so might just help if it could be that you're allergic to. Good luck :flower:

Mullein
Tom Good
Tom Good

You're basically looking at strengthening your mucus membranes so plantain (Plantago lanceolata) and calming an overactive immune response so nettles (Urtica dioica). Try drinking up to 3 cups a day of nettle and plantain tea.

However, I'd recommend a visit to a herbalist for a review of your total health and any other factors which may be contributing.
Find your local Herbalist here or there may be a free or reduced rate student clinic near you.

lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Mullein wrote:You're basically looking at strengthening your mucus membranes so plantain (Plantago lanceolata) and calming an overactive immune response so nettles (Urtica dioica). Try drinking up to 3 cups a day of nettle and plantain tea.
Yes I'd definitely recommend nettle tea for anything! It's yummy and I read it helps your body to absorb vitamins. Never tried plantain tea, sounds exciting!

Helsbells

Thanks Mullein, I have tried drinking nettle tea to help it before by not 3 cups a day. I actually made my own tea from collected nettles thinking that if they were local they might help my hay fever.
I will start drinking it straight away. I have not heard of plantain tea but will havea look for it, I am willing to give anything a go!

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just a quickie (I'm on a crashing-other-people's threads spree today!) - how do you make nettle tea? Can you dry the nettles out?

Only we have some fairly good quality nettles atm, but I'm guessing that won't be the case in a month's time... So what would you guys suggest?
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

Mullein
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hi Helsbells,
a good way to get three cups in is to make up a pot in the morning and take it to work in a flask. I loved my flask when I was out and about - so handy...

Hi Brij,
yeah you can dry them - fresh is delish but, as you say, they're starting to go over to seed now. I'm having probs getting good material to dry though as the weather has been so wet the foliage doesn't get a chance to dry off in the sun and can go mouldy easily. I'm thinking maybe the fan-oven-on-low-door-open option needs to come in to play.

Right - that's nettles...

Now Plantain - you'll know it - its a lawn weed.Image
use the leaves - they'll dry too.

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mullein wrote:Hi Helsbells,
a good way to get three cups in is to make up a pot in the morning and take it to work in a flask. I loved my flask when I was out and about - so handy...

Hi Brij,
yeah you can dry them - fresh is delish but, as you say, they're starting to go over to seed now. I'm having probs getting good material to dry though as the weather has been so wet the foliage doesn't get a chance to dry off in the sun and can go mouldy
Thanks Mullein, I'll get collecting when no-one's looking (I already got funny looks for announcing that I'm going to live in a Yurt one day, and my contract's signed for a year!)

And I miss my flask. I drank tea ninja-style in the library all winter! Extreme tea-drinking :lol:
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

Helsbells

Thats a good idea to use a flask. Can you make a nettle and plantain tea? Combine the two?

Mullein
Tom Good
Tom Good

yeah - i use empty teabags - a big teaspoon of each into a size 2 - pop it in the flask - by the time you open it up again you've got a nice strong brew.