energy saving

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
paul123456
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

energy saving

hello there ,

what's the score on LED lighting in the uk ,or other countries ?

In our house we've got alot of hallway's , it used to be 2 houses but we've joined them toghether.
In these areas the lights will be used the most because family is always passing through here , to reduce the
power consumption we've recently come across lights with GU10 fitting and led 2 watt ,these replace the old
original 50 watt halogen bulbs .

This on a yearly basis creates a big saving of kwh , is the led lighting taking off in other countries ?

Even if the new led cost around 5 euro it pays itself back fairly quick.

regards ,

Paul

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: energy saving

Paul, could you PLEASE add your location to your profile so we know where you are talking to us from.

Thankyou
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

paul123456 wrote:hello there ,

what's the score on LED lighting in the uk ,or other countries ?

In our house we've got alot of hallway's , it used to be 2 houses but we've joined them toghether.
In these areas the lights will be used the most because family is always passing through here , to reduce the
power consumption we've recently come across lights with GU10 fitting and led 2 watt ,these replace the old
original 50 watt halogen bulbs .

This on a yearly basis creates a big saving of kwh , is the led lighting taking off in other countries ?

Even if the new led cost around 5 euro it pays itself back fairly quick.

regards ,

Paul
It's true you will save a lot of money over 50w GU10s and they will last a lot longer but buy one and try it as you may be dissapointed with the performance. They are a very cool light and very directional. From an average ceiling height of around 2.7m
they cast a small pool of light and can dissapoint.

IMHO they are ok for use under the likes of kitchen cuboards but not as full room light.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

ina

Why not use "ordinary" energy saver bulbs? A couple of 7 w (or 9) should do for a hall way. And they are really cheap to buy these days.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Big Al

ina wrote:Why not use "ordinary" energy saver bulbs? A couple of 7 w (or 9) should do for a hall way. And they are really cheap to buy these days.
I think he has the small GU10 holders in the ceiling, well thats how I read it. If I read it right he woulf haveto change all the lights in the ceiling.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

ina

Big Al wrote: I think he has the small GU10 holders in the ceiling, well thats how I read it. If I read it right he woulf haveto change all the lights in the ceiling.
Ah, yes - I had the same problem in the last place I lived in... In the end, I just didn't replace one bulb when it blew - half the light was sufficient for the hall.
Ina

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

we've replaced all our ceiling lights in the open plan space (kitchen, dining, living room space - ie all of upstairs) with LEDs. Started with 48s I think - did 1/2 and now have done the other 1/2 with 74?s. Yes the light is different but as background lighting it's fine - i've kept GU10s in the track lighting above the kitchen units for now.

The one thing we've really noticed is that it's much cooler upstairs now - we've no heating up there (yet - we will get round to a wood burning stove, soon ish - hopefully before THIS winter) - the GU10s gave off a LOT of heat!!

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

I wish it were easier to get LED light bulbs here. They are just about impossible to find. We use mostly CFLs, but I am not impressed with their longevity - better than incandescent, but they still burn out fairly often. And then there is the fact that you have to dispose of them as toxic waste. LEDs would be a huge improvement both in terms of energy and durability, if they'd only sell the things.

ina

KeithBC wrote:I wish it were easier to get LED light bulbs here.
Where's "here"?
Ina

juperwort
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

ina wrote:
KeithBC wrote:I wish it were easier to get LED light bulbs here.
Where's "here"?
Somewhere over "there" I guess :)

I have four GU10 led's in the boys bedroom, & they are just not bright enough. I repleced one back with the halogen, but that blew last werek, so back to dim.

I have seen the LED strips that should work well under the kitchen cupboards as task lighting. The current miniature cap bulbs ~ 15 w each dont last long, and the whole current setup isn't long for this world if it carries on.,..

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

juperwort wrote:
ina wrote: Where's "here"?
Good guess. :) Funny, I was sure I entered my location when I joined. Well, it's there now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Big Al

KeithBC wrote:
juperwort wrote:
ina wrote: Where's "here"?
Good guess. :) Funny, I was sure I entered my location when I joined. Well, it's there now. Thanks for pointing that out.

I know canada is big so i don't know if this company http://www.ctidirectory.com/search/comp ... any=117092 is near you but I found it on google... All bend the knee and hail GOOGLE.... GOOGLE ... They sell these led lamps http://yourhome.shoptoit.ca/shop/produc ... 51188.html
Secret Asparagus binger

dave45

Hallways?

I am reminded of something I heard from a hotel's experience - they made far more savings from having passive IR motion-detectors switching the hallway lights on as and when needed as compared to changing the type of lamps.

I have been in such a hotel and it is a neat "user experience" having corridors light up as you walk along them.

This is probably a general thing... the problem is fitting the detectors and making them "not-ugly".

by the by, many years ago I tried one of those time-delay light switches (often found in shared-access housing hallways) - you press a big button in and a minute or so later it switches itself off... works by compressed air I think, leaking out of a chamber. Great idea, useless implementation... the switch failed and stayed on, and the light in my outside bog was on for weeks before I noticed it.