Can I make a body scrub?

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Uller
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Can I make a body scrub?

I use a body scrub in the shower which I really like, but as it is organic, it is expensive. It keeps my skin in good condition though, so I would like to keep using something.

I glanced at the ingredients the other day and realised that most of them were quite simple;

Crystalline salt (I have sea salt or table salt)
Sunflower oil (got that)
Safflower oil (haven't got that, but does it matter if I've got sunflower?)
Phospholipids (don't know what that is and pretty certain that I don't have any!)
Lavender & geranium essential oils (got that)

So, I'm thinking that I can mix salt (I'm guessing sea salt would be best) and sunflower oil, scent it with some essential oil and be done with it. My only reservation is that the scrub I have is quite soft - my sea salt is very scratchy, but would it soften in the oil?

Anything I should watch out for?
Blogging about a new life in Portugal - http://www.aportugueseadventure.wordpress.com

Clara
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Can I make a body scrub?

Can you get a finer sea salt (or whizz yours in a blender) or use bicarb? I wouldn't worry about the type of carrier oil, use what you have or what is cheap. I make a scrub from sea salt, olive oil (because mine is free), lemon juice and grapefruit eo.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

Derry
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

bicarb is great, i use it to wash my dreads, but i dont think itd work as a body scrub as it just turns to mush with water =]

finer salt might work, or get some good ol' grit :mrgreen:

rockchick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Couldn't you just bash the sea salt to a finer consistencly in a pestle and mortar or with a rolling pin?

Uller
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks - I'll grind it up and bit and try that.
Blogging about a new life in Portugal - http://www.aportugueseadventure.wordpress.com

Rosendula

Uller wrote: Phospholipids (don't know what that is and pretty certain that I don't have any!)
According to Wikipedia
phospholipids are a class of lipids and are a major component of all cell membranes. Most phospholipids contain a diglyceride, a phosphate group, and a simple organic molecule such as choline; one exception to this rule is sphingomyelin, which is derived from sphingosine instead of glycerol. They are a type of molecule. They form a lipid bilayer within a cell membrane.
That clears that up then. :? :lol:
Rosey xx

Millymollymandy

:lol: :lol: :lol: Clear as mud!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

lazyspice
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I use sea salt, granulated sugar and olive oil and add a couple of drops of an essential oil if I fancy a bit of fragrance.

Uller
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Rosendula wrote:
Uller wrote: Phospholipids (don't know what that is and pretty certain that I don't have any!)
According to Wikipedia
phospholipids are a class of lipids and are a major component of all cell membranes. Most phospholipids contain a diglyceride, a phosphate group, and a simple organic molecule such as choline; one exception to this rule is sphingomyelin, which is derived from sphingosine instead of glycerol. They are a type of molecule. They form a lipid bilayer within a cell membrane.
That clears that up then. :? :lol:
Um...thanks! As they are a major component of all cell membranes, I suppose I must have them. Not quite sure why I would need them in a body scrub though, so I might just leave them out!

ajs88
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

olive oil and sea salt