"Big Bike Trip" (well not that big) anything I need to know?

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
wolfsong
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

"Big Bike Trip" (well not that big) anything I need to know?

Right, so I'm gonna cycle:
- manchester to Yorks Dales.
- then Yorks Dales to London, via York and possibly Derby, then using the Thames Valley Cycle Path... Weeeeeee!

If all goes well that is, thing is, I've never done this before. I do have a fairly sensible mind and therefore am balancing the distances out a bit. But if anyone who has toured by bike has any suggestions?
I'm going to be camping or YHostelling, depending on weather (yes wuss).
Ultimately i'm looking for a book that sets it out in black and white... The basics are dealt with: excellent tent, trangia alcohol stove, sleeping bag...

Tanks in advance!

Edit: hmm, thats better...
Last edited by wolfsong on Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
As I ping from tree to tree I wonder... why do I seem to have transformed into a pinging tree-dwelling thing?

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: "Big Bike Trip" (well not that big...) anything I ntknow?

Andy might be a good person to ask as he did an amazing Bristol to Aberdeen trip last year to raise money for a local good cause.

What does NTKNOW mean or is that a typo - I couldn't make head nor tail of the title. Do you think you could edit it to understandable English please? :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

wolfsong
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: "Big Bike Trip" (well not that big...) anything I ntknow?

sorry :oops: yet again silly stuff... title character limit means I can't put in need to know..., changing... :geek:

Yes I would really like some good advice. As far as i can make out, its all pretty easy, if I'm willing to admit there will be ups and downs (geographically, emotionally and in the general conditions) I'm looking at 20 miles on the first day, 30 on the second, then 40... a rest in a warm bed for a few days, and then the downward run back to london, maybe taking a train (yes i know cheat...) through the grimier areas where there seems to be a complete lack of cyclist friendly paths according to the national cycle network.
Last edited by wolfsong on Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
As I ping from tree to tree I wonder... why do I seem to have transformed into a pinging tree-dwelling thing?

Millymollymandy

Re: "Big Bike Trip" (well not that big) anything I need to know?

Oh is that what it meant? I was racking my brains there (they aren't very big :mrgreen: )

Anyway it seemed to work. :thumbright:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

wolfsong
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

hehe, got one... (anticipated this trip last year, so invested in the best model, I have an addiction to Decathlon), also am going to get some cycling shorts with removable ... padding for the... derriere.

ina

Andy stayed with a lot of Ishers on the way - I'm sure if you put out a call you might find a few on the way - it was great to meet him! I think a few things he hadn't anticipated won't be of importance to you - i.e. that miles are twice as long in Scotland, and that the days are much shorter... :geek:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)