Simplest ever rainwater harvesting system

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Simplest ever rainwater harvesting system

Ok, so it's not the most sophisticated system and doesn't quite do everything I wanted but I did it all myself and it cost me nothing.

I have a water butt at the back of the laundry room so I fed a hose through an obliging hole in the wall into the laundry room and put a trigger spray on it. It would have been nice if it could have flushed the loo but at least it lets me use the water for soaking clothes, cleaning plant pots, paint brushes and so on. :cheers:

One of my projects ticked off my list.

Zoe

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Simplest ever rainwater harvesting system

Well done Zoe
Do you have any particle filter in the system?

Mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

Thomzo

No, other than keeping an eye on the quality of the water coming out. I only use it for watering plants and stuff like washing paint brushes. I certainly don't use it for hand washing or food/drinking.

Having said that, the water butt developed a leak recently so I emptied it and cleaned it out. I also took the opportunity to clean the conservatory roof and gutters so that the water entering the water butt is cleanish to start with.

Cheers
Zoe

Millymollymandy

Excellent Zoe! :thumbright: :salute:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

CyberPaddy66
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

That's a great use of rain-water, well done.

Have a look at your local motor factors and see if you can get an in-line fuel filter to fit your pipe in the water butt, it'll stop most if not all particulate matter from entering your hose ;)
Life's a beach until you get sand in your pants!

Big Al

Thomzo wrote:Ok, so it's not the most sophisticated system and doesn't quite do everything I wanted but I did it all myself and it cost me nothing.

I have a water butt at the back of the laundry room so I fed a hose through an obliging hole in the wall into the laundry room and put a trigger spray on it. It would have been nice if it could have flushed the loo but at least it lets me use the water for soaking clothes, cleaning plant pots, paint brushes and so on. :cheers:

One of my projects ticked off my list.

Zoe
Well done Zoe. If you want to use the water for clothes and washing your hands etc and even potable water [ disclaimer here ;;; explore this link carefully and make your own mind up] then you need a slow sand filter. http://tilz.tearfund.org/Publications/F ... filter.htm

Hope this helps someone.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Thomzo

Thanks, guys. I might follow up on some of those links when I've worked out how to get the water across from one side of the laundry room to the other. There is a solid concrete floor and I don't want to be tripping over the pipe all the time.

Just waiting for it to rain now to fill up my nice, clean water butt.

Cheers
Zoe