Sleep!

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sleep!

Apples help you stay awake, as does sipping cold water. :flower:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

I wish I could stay awake in the evenings. I always fall asleep in front of the telly, usually earlier in winter than in summer because it is dark outside but this week I have been trying to watch Chelsea (flower show not football!) which starts at 9pm my time, and I'm asleep by 9.30pm. Last night I felt myself falling asleep in front of the telly before 9pm. My problem is as soon as I put my feet up on the sofa, put my blankie on (which means the cat jumps up on me as he thinks it's his blankie) and zzzzzzzzz. But I'm not comfortable in a sitting upright postion, especially when I'm knackered and aching from gardening.

Consequently I am up and wide awake around 6-6.30am which is why I am such an early bird on forums :lol: and I'm dreading an invitation to a wedding coming up - the evening 'soiree dansante' doesn't start until 10.30pm :shock: :shock: :shock: !!! Help!!!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Rosendula

Good morning MMM! When you wake up, do you actually get up and start the day? I'm wondering if spending an hour pretending to yourself that you're still asleep, or pretend that there's nothing to do and you can be lazy, might help you start the day later and therefore finish it later. Of course that means not sitting down with your blanket and cat until 10:30, which can feel very late, but once you've had a few 'late' nights, you might start actually waking up later.
Rosey xx

Millymollymandy

Afternoon Rosendula! I suppose I could try to not put on the clock radio, but I usually find that I wake up as soon as it is light anyway. Once I'm awake there's no way I can get back to sleep even if I just lie there and listen to the radio. I do get up and feed the cat, make some coffee then sit at the computer - I don't jump in the bath then start my day really early as I need time to actually wake up properly.

When I was in England recently I kept waking up ages before my alarm, because of the daylight shining in my eyes, even though the curtains were pulled!

My habit of putting feet up on sofa stems from the draughts that I get on my legs in winter when the wood burner is on - well that's part of it, the rest is just getting comfy. :roll: :lol: I absolutely hate it when we have people here to stay and I can't hog the whole sofa - but guess what I tend to stay awake for longer. Guess I know the answer to that one then really! :lol:

CyberPaddy66
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Have you considered changing your curtains?

We have very thin ones in our bedroom at the moment and have been talking for a while now about getting some very heavy double lined ones to keep the light out, a good blackout layer on the back of your current curtains should keep out most of the morning light ;)
Life's a beach until you get sand in your pants!

The Riff-Raff Element

Clara wrote:If you read make sure it is something you have read before or is somewhat heavy going - I find The God Delusion does it for me!
Absolutely anything by Thomas Mann. But particularly "The Magic Mountain"

DeneciePie
Tom Good
Tom Good

You can try an antihistamine tablet to get you sleepy. I needed the antihistamine for allergies but found I couldn't take it during the day for the sleepiness. Try Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) Not habit-forming like sleep tablet, but it sure puts most folks to sleep.

Good luck. Also, if it was a head surgery try a little more elevation to the head. Maybe it gets just a teensy swollen when you lie down and it is enough to wake you but not enough to tell you what the problem is. A couple of books under the top feet of the bed may help.

Hope its better soon

DeneciePie

SarahJane
Living the good life
Living the good life

DeneciePie wrote:You can try an antihistamine tablet to get you sleepy. I needed the antihistamine for allergies but found I couldn't take it during the day for the sleepiness. Try Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) Not habit-forming like sleep tablet, but it sure puts most folks to sleep.

Good luck. Also, if it was a head surgery try a little more elevation to the head. Maybe it gets just a teensy swollen when you lie down and it is enough to wake you but not enough to tell you what the problem is. A couple of books under the top feet of the bed may help.

Hope its better soon

DeneciePie

Well it is half past midnight and absolutley no sign of any sleep here! I am getting a bit concerned as I plan to go back to work next week and I will be fit for nothing at this rate!

You are spot on DeneciePie, I have to try and sleep in an elevated position. If I try and lie flat the pressure seems to build up in my face.
I am going to got to the chemist tommorrow and get some Benedryl and see what happens......I really cant carry on this way, I am getting very zombiefied! :(

Millymollymandy

CyberPaddy66 wrote:Have you considered changing your curtains?

We have very thin ones in our bedroom at the moment and have been talking for a while now about getting some very heavy double lined ones to keep the light out, a good blackout layer on the back of your current curtains should keep out most of the morning light ;)
Unfortunately it was other people's curtains that weren't thick enough as it gets light so early in England. Thankfully we're an hour later here in France so it's not light until a more sensible hour of the morning, well OK 6am ish isn't sensible to most people :lol: . I did stay awake until I went to bed just after 11pm last night. :cheers:

Sorry Sarah Jane, if I could swap some of my sleepiness with you, I would!