Lack of Iron

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
thesunflowergal
A selfsufficientish Regular

Lack of Iron

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone had any bright ideas for boosting your iron levels, naturally please?

I have been to see the Midwife this morning, she wanted me to take tablets but I am not keen (well unless I have too). So I am going to try and give in a boost via my diet. What a great excuse to make a start on the spinach in the garden, washed down with a glass of Orange juice. I am also going to add more green leaves, and pulses as we can't really afford red meat!!

Thanks Nikki
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

Clara

Re: Lack of Iron

Molasses is a really rich source, take a couple of spoonfuls and you're halfway there for the day.

And remember it's perfectly normal to have lower iron levels when you are pregnant, don't let them turn a molehill into a mountain.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Drinking fruit juice with your meals will hep you absorb the iron in your food. I used to be anemic and a big bowl of cream of broccoli soup has always worked as a quick fix for me.... I used to have it during my period and it would make my period shorter.

Basically eating as much veg as you can, and a fortified breakfast cereal (if you eat that kind of thing) will really help, especially if your levels are so low it makes you weak.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

thesunflowergal

Thanks ladies!!

I would normally take what they say with a pinch of salt, but I have been so tired. Ie sleeping for three hours in the afternoon, just so I can feel normal.

Sorry to sound stupid Clara, but what form do Molasses come in? I can not recall seeing them anywhere other than horse feed :lol:
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:

shell
Living the good life
Living the good life

add nettles to soup or stews,this gives a good amount of iron,i chop mine up in the food processor and add half a cup full, :flower:

Clara

Molasses is a thick dark goop sold in jars! It's the nutrient rich "waste" leftover after white sugar has been refined from the cane.

I think roundabout 11 weeks is usually when I have felt tiredest during pregnancy too, perfectly normal to feel knackered now - nap and enjoy it!
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

Milims

Don't forget that you need vit C to help you absorb the iron so drink orange juice etc or eat vit C rich fruit such as citrus and Kiwi fruit. Dried apricots are high in iron and believe it or not there's also iron in curry and chocolate - well the coca powder bit anyway! Brown rice, beetroot, avocado, oats, tofu, rye, soya beans, walnuts, quinoa, sesame seeds, mushrooms, olives, cashew nuts, mung beans, wheat and pumpkin seeds are also sources. All that said - my midwife told me to drink guiness!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was knackered from about 6-8 weeks right through till E was born... I had to have a nap everyday or I was really unable to function. I was tested for diabetes but no-one ever mentioned anemia... maybe it had something to do with it.
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Silver Ether

You could always turn to the bottle... Floradix from the health shop or as I did home made stout... hubby made it special, blood was great and the stout was a great way to take a tonic :cheers:
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Nikki
If you want red meat then pop down to the co-op at the Rodbourne Arms (Cheney Manor Road/Whitworth Road junction) early any morning. They always have meat reduced then. I regularly stock up my freezer from there.

Cheaper than Floradix.

Zoe

Jinwin
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I'm also anaemic and I've been told not to drink tea after or with a meal as it prevents the body absorbing iron.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh, yes, I forgot about that. Tannin stops your body from absorbing iron so red wines are usually out too.
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

thesunflowergal

Thanks everyone for the advice. :hugish:

Today I have been stood next to the spinach patch munching, with a glass of OJ in hand lol.

Jinwin and Annpan thanks for the Tannin tip, I have cut my tea drinking right down.

Zoe thanks for the co-op tip, what time do you normal go?

Milims OMG this baby is going to be a chocoholic, ha ha ha!!

Glad to say that I am feeling much better and brighter today :cheers:

Check out my blog:

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better. I also suffer iron deficiency so know what it's like. Get to the Co-op as early as possible. Eight o'clock if you can.

Cheers
Zoe