bio-oil good?

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
Turtuga Blanku
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

bio-oil good?

Hi folks,

I'd like to hear your opinion on the (large scale) use of bio-oil (and especially bio-oil generated through algae). I've got my reservations/doubts about it actually being a smart way to go and it actually being better for the environment to use...

Any thoughts on that?

cheers,

Turtuga Blanku
Last edited by Turtuga Blanku on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ellendra
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: bio-oil good?

I think it has potential, and as technology advances it might become more practical. But, with the current technology, I think large-scale operations do as much damage to the environment as conventional fuels (sometimes more!)

Small-scale operations may be suitable, depending on the situation.

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Turtugu Blanku,

I don't really like the idea of food for people being diverted to feed engines. However, the idea of fermenting crop residue (straw, oilseed stalk etc.) to make alcohol for fuel might make a supplement to the problem as would bio gas from from sewage and animal dung. Both of these options have the advantage of using what is currently regarded as waste, and have a surplus of biomass that can be used on the land as manure afterwards. Permaculture principles? Just persuade accountants that multiple outputs are worth having ....

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

juperwort
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Our local Bio-fuel supplier suggest that their UK produced oil is a by- product of the food industry. They also process waste veg oil, which is what I hope to use in our Vito.

Turtuga Blanku
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks folks, great replies!

Someone told me that right now to produce oil from algae cost around $300 to $1000 per barrel. And that it takes more energy to make and extract the oil from algae than what it gives back (5:1). I have not fact checked this yet.

dave45

Now imagine genetically-engineered algae that munch up specific bio-waste and excrete usable oil. Solar powered organisms working for us, cleaning up our waste. I wonder if anyone is working on that.

Ellendra

Several places are working on that. There are also some systems being developed for producing energy from excrement, and one company has developed a machine that will turn any hydrocarbon into oil, methane, and mineral powder within hours.

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

dave45 wrote:Now imagine genetically-engineered algae that munch up specific bio-waste and excrete usable oil. Solar powered organisms working for us, cleaning up our waste. I wonder if anyone is working on that.
you mean something like this http://www.biomara.org/?

Davy stephenson

Remover by author
Last edited by Davy stephenson on Tue May 26, 2009 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turtuga Blanku
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

good one, Davy!

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

Davy stephenson wrote:The biomara link is down at the moment, so I couldn't see the information,
Typical :roll:
there's a bit of info on it here on the SAMS website