Conservatories and Neighbours! Any advice most welcome.

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Conservatories and Neighbours! Any advice most welcome.

Hubby and I are about to put up a single storey conservatory on the back of our end of terrace house. It does not come under any of the planning regulations as it will not be big enough, and mainly glass. The neighbours right of access behind the house has already been altered before we bought and we are working to the limit of the new path.

The issue is really how near to the neighbours extension can we build? I have been trawling the net and cannot access this information easily. We WON't be building onto their extension in anyway, BUT they do have a fan vent which blows their kitchen smells into our house, I have never made an issue of this, although now that we have told them what we are doing they seem to think that we are asking them to pay out to have to fan moved to another place. (I'm convinced that it shouldn't be there but thats another storey altogether! :angryfire: :angryfire: )

Hubby is concerned that if they complain we won't get our conservatory, which we NEED, not just because of the extra heat the house will gain, but also we have two small children and life is getting very cramped in what is effectively a glorified two up two down.

If anyone knows if there is a specified distance from a neighbours property that we have to adhere to, I would be v. grateful if you can let us know Hubby is getting into a bit of a state about it and we are stuck until we can ring someone in office hours. :scratch:

Thanks again, I know its not quite eco building but it will mean more heat for our home and somewhere warm for us to propogate our plants.

I have put a pic on my blog as I have yet to learn how to do it properly...*exits to look up how to add images*...

Cheers

Lorna x

P.s. Rant over :wink: :lol: :lol:

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Conservatories and Neighbours! Any advice most welcome.

Pretty sure it is 2 metres, pretty sure that is what it is in Scotland anyway... but it might be best to give your local planning office a call to find out from the horses mouth (as it were) It'll only take 5 mins to phone them, and I have usually found them very helpful.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hey HEY!

Just found out that there are no restrictions as to how near you can build a conservatory, so as long as we leave ourselves, and them access to maintain their wall, we can put it as near as we like..hurray!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lorna x

JulieSherris
A selfsufficientish Regular

Haha! Isn't it nice when you find out you're ALLOWED to do something to your own property?

We have a kitchen & bathroom in our 'extension' here - but we found out that as the extension has no build year on it (was probably done in the '80's, but no-one is sure) then we still come under the rules & regulations of planning - what that means to us is that we can build up 40 sq mtrs at the back of the house with NO further permission - yay!

Now, finding out that we CAN & actually doing something with it are 2 different things :mrgreen:
We've no buildings plans as yet... maybe one day....

Enjoy your conservatory - more space for you & the little ones - can't be bad!
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Millymollymandy

Good news for you but be grateful you don't live in France - here you need permission just to erect a fence, a greenhouse or a tiny garden shed. :roll:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Mal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We've got one, it's great. We are mid-terrace, so we got two sides of the roof done in obscure glass, which means that neighbours can't lean out their windows and look in, but the end of the roof done in clear glass so we can see the birds and the stars. Works nicely.
"If you want to catch a loon, you have to think like a loon"

JulieSherris

Bureaucracy at it's worst, MMM - doncha just love the french!
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Millymollymandy

Do I have to answer that Julie? :lol: Actually it works both ways - stops your neighbours from erecting a conservatory or extension 2 metres from your boundary line. :mrgreen:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

dave45

the forum on www.gardenlaw.co.uk is good for boundary disputes in case it all goes horribly wrong. Well worth reading some of the stories on there.

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for the link most informative :shock: !

It turns out that I think that most of the neigbours bad temper was down to other things.

She and her live in toy boy, have been arguing every day this last week, and unfortunately I couldn't help but overhear some of the more juicer parts as they were shouting at each other last night! :oops:

So I think that its more down to their love life, rather than our gardening exploits... :?

Lorna x