Mini Greenhouse / Coldframe Thingy

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

Mini Greenhouse / Coldframe Thingy

We had our kitchen windows replaced with new, oak framed, argon filled sealed units. The originals were also oak, were but at least forty years old, were draughty and not awfully effective. Windows in France are generally arranged in pairs, each one about 1,80m high and 50 cm wide, so I had four glazed units taken out.

The builder asked me if I wanted to keep the them. I didn't particularly, but if he took them off to be broken up for scrap wood he would have to pay whereas if I did it I wouldn't. I was about to shove them in the van when I had a blinding inspiration, grabbed a couple of bits of chip board, some screws and some wood preservative and knocked this up:

Now I have a proper place to start my seeds off, just in time for the order to arrive.

I've still got one pane left....

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Re: Mini Greenhouse / Coldframe Thingy

I've still got one pane left
So make an other one, with timber sides, painted white on the inside, or lined with (reused) tin foil for even more light....

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Rosendula

Well done Jon. :thumbright: That's great. Much better than the little cloche thingy I made using 2 sheets of perspex (used to be part of an ineffective mini-greenhouse), propped up against a couple of bamboos. I'm lucky enough to have a little aluminium greenhouse that OH bought me for Christmas one year that I can start my seeds off in, but I can't bear to part with the sheets of perspex and keep trying to find a use for them. At first I made a cold frame with them by placing breeze blocks in front of my shed and using the perspex as a front and a top. The grass didn't half grow quick under it. Now I've made the clochey thing. I'm hoping it will warm the ground a bit for me to be able to sow some early peas in a couple of weeks.
Rosey xx

theabsinthefairy

Hey Riff Raff element - great minds think alike, I made cold frames from our windows when we replaced them in 2007 too! :cheers:
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

red

nice one

we also have our old windsows set aside for making into a cold frame. I think himself has a plan to win the annual pumpkin competition against my dad by using a frame....
mind you we one last year.. as we managed to grow a pumpkin.. more than my dad did...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

tiggy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We have a blown double glazed unit which will have to be replaced.How easy is it to seperate the 2 panes of glass in a unit ? i think if I dont and use the panes seperatly it will go all green and cloudy in the end

Big Al

tiggy wrote:We have a blown double glazed unit which will have to be replaced.How easy is it to seperate the 2 panes of glass in a unit ? i think if I dont and use the panes seperatly it will go all green and cloudy in the end
Very difficult if my previous experience is anything to go by. One site i've been on recently had someone who used one for solar water and the black stuff that seals the windows all melted,. Maybe that's a way to investigate but please do things responsibly and carefully[disclaimer].
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

tiggy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

cheers Big Al,will give it a go in summer when its changed.Nothing ventured nothing gained and at least it doesnt contain nuts :lol: just has a nut dismantling it :lol: