Chiii recipes please.

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
tiggy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Chiii recipes please.

Last few times I made chilli I was a bit dissapointed,I seem to be a bit fed up of it. How do you all make chilli,vegetarian or meaty we eat both.Maybe somebody elses recipe will give me the key to yummmyness on the chilli front .

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Chiii recipes please.

I don't have a recipe but always put ground cumin in - it adds an extra oomph to it.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

EcoDad
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi Tiggy

Here is a link to a guy on youtube. I copy him but I also add chocolate (the kind you add to hot water to make drinking chocolate will be fine). Plus I use quorn mince but apart from that it's the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrnGgbHqOII

Hope this help

Ben

Graye

Whenever we can't think of anything else to eat we always go for a home made veggie chilli. We have an American friend who did the same except his chilli was made from nothing but green peppers, chunks of beef and chilli sauce (not even any chilli beans) cooked for so long that the meat was falling apart. Not my cup of tea at all but he swears by it and says it's authentic Wild West food. On the other hand he IS a writer so who's to say?

Mine is as follows (it's totally made up so can be adjusted to taste).

Chop 3 cloves of garlic, a green pepper and medium onion. Fry them lightly in olive oil with a good grind of black pepper, a veggie Oxo and salt to taste. Then add a can of chopped tomatoes, a teaspoonful of tomato purée and a teaspoonful of chopped red chillies (I buy ours in France, they are in a small jar. But you could use just chilli powder) Adjust the amount of chilli used to taste. Then add a cupful of TVP granules and enough liquid (I use whatever wine we have around but water works just as well) to make the sauce quite runny. Then simmer gently for around 30 minutes, adding a small can of red haricot beans (or equivalent of freshly boiled beans - I keep portions in the freezer) for the last five minutes. This is quick, lazy and absolutely gorgeous. Just boil up some rice to serve.

Depending upon how virtuous or lazy I feel I do all sorts of adjustments. I sometimes use fresh chopped chillies and tomatoes, a red pepper rather than green, or quorn chunks. It all tastes good!
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

EcoDad wrote:I copy him but I also add chocolate (the kind you add to hot water to make drinking chocolate will be fine).
Yes, I agree with this but I always add about 4 squares of really dark chocolate ... makes the chilli sauce really rich.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

hedgewitch

Chili Gone Barmy
serves 4

Ingredients
1 Tblsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 Medium Onion, chopped, sliced, bit of both - whatever.
2 Green Chilies, De-seeded if you don't want too much spicy heat, I like my Chili HOT
2 Cloves Garlic, diced
Medium Red Pepper, de-seeded and cut into long strips
Pinch Italian Herbs (Herbs Provencal - or Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme - but just a smidgen of each)
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
2 tins Plum Tomatoes - juice an' all
1 Jar or two tins Red Kidney Beans ( of course you can use Fresh Beans that have been cooked according to the packet - about 400 grams of cooked Beans is what you're after)
250 grams Long Grain Rice
1 tin Sweetcorn (or equivalent of frozen)
Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Method
Add the Olive Oil to a big heavy based pot, heat for a few seconds and add the Mustard Seeds - PUT THE LID ON! This step is important because Mustard Seeds pop like popcorn and you will be attacked with tiny popping Mustard bombs otherwise.
Return to the heat and add the Onions and Chili.
Saute for 5-8 mins without putting your head over the pot - you will be blinded for 5 minutes - not that I did this you understand, ahem!
Then, when your eyes have stopped watering and you can see again, add the Peppers and cook for another few minutes.
Drain and rinse the Kidney Beans and add to the pot.
Cook for 5 minutes stirring once in a while.
Add both tins of Plum Tomatoes squishing them up with a fork so as they break down, and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat, add a pinch of Italian Herbs and the Cinnamon and cook for 20 mins stirring now and again.
Place the lid on and go about your business.
20 mins before serving, bring a HUGE pan of Water to boil and add your Rice, simmer for 12 mins and drain.
Heat your Chili through and cook with the lid off, stirring quite regularly. Add the drained Sweetcorn, Rice and season to taste. I find this needs quite a bit of Salt.
Cook for another 5 minutes and serve.

This is good in a Jacket Potato the next day as well - or even served in between Tortillas and Tacos. YUM!
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

sheena
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

2tbsp vegetable oil.
1 - 2 onions (either diced or sliced).
2-4 cloves of Garlic.(crushed)
2-3 chillies (can be de-seeded depending how hot you want it to be)
1tbsp flour.(plain is best but does work with either)
1-2 tins of plum tomatoes.
2tsp Cumin.
Tin of kidney beans(drain them first)
1tbsp of lemon or lime juice.
1/2 tsp of oregano.
1-2tsp chopped parsley(dried or fresh both work well)
Salt & pepper to taste.

A few minutes before serving stir in approx 3-4 chunks of dark chocolate to give a thick dreamy sauce.

This can be adapted by using more vegetables,(any pulses can be added) Quorn or beef depending on diet required.
Happy eating :wink:

Millymollymandy

sheena wrote:2tsbp Cumin.
Just to clarify, is that a tsp or a tbsp? I think you mean tablespoon looking at the rest of the recipe. Mind you that's quite a lot!

tiggy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks for the replies I will be trying out a few but not the dark chocolate I think because I like sour tastes. Used to dislike red kidney beans tinned with added sugar :pukeright: seems to be a nasty habit that has been dropped thank goodness.

sheena
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi, yes glad someone picked up on that it was a typing error, it should have read 2teaspoons!!
Hope no-one tried it with the other, sorry :oops:

Millymollymandy

More of a curry! I've edited your recipe so no mistakes are likely to happen now. :lol:

Loobyloo
Living the good life
Living the good life

I agree with chocolate and cumin. I also add fresh ground coriander seeds. My main tip is to roast the tomatoes and peppers (you can alo roast the onions and chillis and even onions) slowly in the oven for an hour or so before adding them to the chilli and then at the very end the juice of a fresh lime and a massive handful of chopped fresh coriander.

It makes a really smooth sweet chilli and I always serve with sour cream and loads of greated cheese.

Leftovers get made into my patented 'enchisagne' layer soft flour tortillas and chilli with a cheese sauce in the same way you would a lasagne and bake in the oven.

It is goooooooood.