Yorkshire to London by train?

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yorkshire to London by train?

I have decided I would like to go to the boat show at Excel in London 8th to 18th Jan.

Rather than drive I would like to take the train. 2 people I have spoken to have seen special rail fares advertised on TV to London at £9.50 return. I have been totally unable to locate these fantastic bargins, in fact I have just been on the Virgin Rail site and was quoted £686!

I never use the train. Can someone tell me where to start? In particular how do I find these special offers?

Thanks

MINESAPINT
MINESAPINT

Eigon
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Yorkshire to London by train?

Try the National Rail Enquiry website. You type in where you want to travel to and from, and the date you want to travel, and it will tell you the fare, and give you the timetable, including where to change trains if necessary.
"The best way to get real enjoyment out of the garden isto put on a wide straw hat, hold a little trowel in one hand and a cool drink in the other, and tell the man where to dig."
Charles Barr

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks Eigon,

Done that. Fares are easily double what it will cost to go by car! Someone did mention that if you book ahead you will save money/receive discounts. Accordingly I altered my search time to mid March and got exactly the same results as I did for 13th January.

Looks like there is just no encouragement to leave my car at home.

MINESAPINT
MINESAPINT

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

You could also try th Trainline site. Depending on your age there's always some kind of railcard. They can offer great savings. Good luck
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Have a look at National Express East Coast tain services

http://tickets.nationalexpresseastcoast.com

Very varied prices!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for your help.

The job is FAR TOO COMPLICATED!

I used to have a shop selling clothing. Jeans were £30 a pair on Monday and were still £30 on Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri & Saturday. I suppose I have to accept there are differences in running a railway to running a small clothing shop but this ticket lottery is not for me.

We will be going to London in the car.

MINESAPINT
MINESAPINT

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

HAve you tried the coach? It should be around £30 return for a coach to London.

Otherwise as Green Aura said try the National Epress East coast, normally the cheapest click on find me the cheapest fair in the bottom left of the screen to get a grid showing you the cheapest, should be about £51 return.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi Andy,

Thanks, yes I did consider the coach but the idea is we are going to London AM and returning same evening. As far as I can see the coach takes about 8 hours each way so I did not get to the stage of looking to see how much it would cost.

The reason I considered travelling by train was there were some fares advertised on the TV for £9.50 return and I hoped to book at this price. I realise now these cheap deals were limited in number. (loss leader).

Additionally unless I locate a coach company putting on a dedicated trip to the boat show I will have the problem of getting from where ever I am dropped off to the ExCeL Centre.

The reality is by road the journey is 250ish miles each way (about 4 hours) and there are 4,000 parking spaces at the ExCeL. The car will use about £75 worth of fuel which will be shared by 2/3 people.

The reason I put this post on here in the first place was in the hope that some more seasoned traveller knew the tricks in booking these cheap fares.

MINESAPINT
MINESAPINT

Davy stephenson

Removed by author
Last edited by Davy stephenson on Tue May 26, 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Millymollymandy

I'm sure that was a special or student ticket - it isn't cheap in France either.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

becks77

We have found in the past, it is so much easier (if you have a local station that is) to actually go in and ask for the cheapest way to get from.... to and they come up with some crackind deals. Last year we took 10 kids and me and OH to London for £30.00, each child travelled for a £1.00 and inc underground fayre too. Of course a lot depends on when and where you travel
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

bryony
Tom Good
Tom Good

it's usually a lot cheaper on the websites to buy tickets as two singles, rather than a return ticket. It makes no sense, I know, but i just payed £16 for two singles, when booking a return ticket for the same trains would have cost £35. only usually works out like that quite far in advance (about 2 weeks is usually enough) might be worth a try? :dontknow:

StripyPixieSocks

We went from Euston to Macclesfield for £50 return for two people using Virgin... it was one of their book in advance jobs.

You can get National Express Coaches from Sheffield to Victoria Coach Station for as little as £2 per ticket but again you have to book a) in advance and b) if you miss your coach you end up paying full price for another ticket as they are non-transferable.

The train takes 2 hours straight through and the coach takes 5.