Prepared For Survival Blog

Either you have a related website or you want to promote a website, whatever, stick it here. Adult related and other dodgy stuff will be deleted. Otherwise, carry on and tell us about yourselves. Please don't make this your only post, if your company does fit in then we believe you will too.
contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Prepared For Survival Blog

oldfella wrote:a community of survivalists
Isn't that a contradiction of terms?

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

contadino wrote:
I think it might be. But what would the collective noun be, I wonder: a gibber? A foam? A cache? We should be told!

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

How about a paranoia of survivalists?

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Is it just me, or is there an absence of survivalists in Europe? I suppose the Swiss might count, what with them having big guns at home, and most French rural houses have a shotgun lying around, but I don't think I've ever come across anything like the Real Thing outside of the US. Anyone?
I'm not sure about the Swiss, rre, they remain a closed book to me, but my guess is the French shotguns would be used for killing vermin, game etc of the four-legged or feathered variety.

My knowledge of survivalists, which I'll admit is not vast, is they would add humans to this list (placing them under the same categories!). Maybe I've watched too many movies but they seem paranoid about commies, blacks, gays, and basically anyone they're not related to - many of whom they've married.

It seems the whole ethos is based on the premise that violence and aggression sorts every ill. Get stocked up to look after themselves and hole up in their fortressed compounds and defend it to the death.

It's this sort of attitude that's made me run to an isolated community in the north Highlands to make sure me and mine are secure! Now where's my gun.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Millymollymandy

Swiss men have guns at home because they have all done national service and must by law keep their guns (rifles?) at home. I believe they have to do some retraining every now and again (I hope so anyway!). So it is absolutely nothing to do with survivalism American style but what they are ordered to do by their government in the interests of national security.

Every Swiss home has a nuclear bunker too, although it must be said these are normally used for storing skis etc. :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

The Riff-Raff Element wrote:
contadino wrote:
I think it might be. But what would the collective noun be, I wonder: a gibber? A foam? A cache? We should be told!
A bunch? As in 'a bunch of w@nkers'.

Rosendula

:lol:
Rosey xx

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Coo'e
Clutch? Clan? :roll:
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

How about a

culture (of bacteria)
siege (of bitterns)
glaring (of cats)
murder (of crows)
army (of caterpillars)

do I need to go on?
Maggie

Ellendra

Speaking as a survivalist, that blog is complete BS. And frankly, so are most of the people who go online bragging about their preparations, the majority of whom wouldn't "survive" a half-decent snowstorm, with or without their stockpiles.

For me its not about being afraid of something. Since childhood I've wanted to build a homestead, raise my own food and medicines, and live in harmony with the land. The places where this would be possible, one also could go weeks without outside contact during the winter because the roads become impassable, so having food, water, fuel, medicine, etc., etc. just makes sense. One doesn't have to invent some outside threat in order to be prepared for the dangers inherent in one's chosen lifestyle.

Granted, my homestead-building is on hold right now due to some very serious health problems, but as soon as I'm strong enough to walk my land again I'll be back, working in baby steps to build the life I dream.

The Riff-Raff Element

Ellendra wrote:Speaking as a survivalist, that blog is complete BS. And frankly, so are most of the people who go online bragging about their preparations, the majority of whom wouldn't "survive" a half-decent snowstorm, with or without their stockpiles.

For me its not about being afraid of something. Since childhood I've wanted to build a homestead, raise my own food and medicines, and live in harmony with the land. The places where this would be possible, one also could go weeks without outside contact during the winter because the roads become impassable, so having food, water, fuel, medicine, etc., etc. just makes sense. One doesn't have to invent some outside threat in order to be prepared for the dangers inherent in one's chosen lifestyle.

Granted, my homestead-building is on hold right now due to some very serious health problems, but as soon as I'm strong enough to walk my land again I'll be back, working in baby steps to build the life I dream.
Well said! I have an e-mail "chum" who, aside from occaisional forays into the outlandish, is much of the same bent: quiet, considered and he would never come up with anything like this.

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ellendra wrote:Speaking as a survivalist, that blog is complete BS. And frankly, so are most of the people who go online bragging about their preparations, the majority of whom wouldn't "survive" a half-decent snowstorm, with or without their stockpiles.

I sounds to me like you're not a survivalist, but a homesteader (or as we're called in English, a smallholder.) I think you've hit the nail on the head when you talk about an invented outside threat. The need to feel protected to the extent that some of these survival websites go to is based on fear & stupidity.

The question was asked earlier in the thread about why survivalism isn't so prevalent in Europe - I believe it has to do with our unwillingness to believe fear-tactics. In the US, you've got/had White Supremacy (which is based on fear), the Cuban Missile 'Crisis', "Reds Under the Beds", you invented al-Qaida, etc... In Europe we've been fighting with each other on and off, for 2,000 years, and none of the European countries really trust each other, so tend to be a little calmer when faced with a threat.

I hope you're back on your feet again soon, and can continue working towards your goals.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Again, Contadino, I find myself in agreement. This may clarify why we don't see your plans as Survivalism, Ellendra.
I found it on Wikipaedia, which while not always the most factual reference site, in this case sums it up quite nicely.

"Survivalism is a commonly used term for the preparedness strategy and subculture of individuals or groups anticipating and making preparations for future possible disruptions in local, regional or worldwide social or political order. Survivalists often prepare for this anticipated disruption by learning skills (e.g., emergency medical training), stockpiling food and water, preparing for self-defense and self-sufficiency, and/or building structures that will help them to survive or "disappear" (e.g., a survival retreat or underground shelter)."

I think their belief is that "disruptions in local, regional or worldwide social or political order", are inevitable, even imminent.

I too hope that your health problems will soon be resolved and you can get on with attaining your dream.
Maggie

moocher
Tom Good
Tom Good

jim wrote:Jon from Riff Raff wrote
Is it just me, or is there an absence of survivalists in Europe? I suppose the Swiss might count, what with them having big guns at home, and most French rural houses have a shotgun lying around, but I don't think I've ever come across anything like the Real Thing outside of the US. Anyone?
Can't remember exactly when in the 80s & 90s but, at about that time, the British survivalist magazine was a front for the BNP and had an extremely low circulation..... Perhaps the culture over here has a more social and co-operative ethos and less of the individualist, sod the rest, attitude.

On the attitude towards guns, see Michael Moores "Bowling for Columbine", it does explain a lot about it,

Love and Peace
Jim
hi was this the survival weaponry & techniques magazine.used to buy it with my pocket money back then,one article on clandestine gardening still sticks in my mind now,growing runner beans up trees and maize in wood clearings,they had the crops stolen just before harvest. :roll:

solarcooker
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

StripyPixieSocks wrote:Do tha Americans know something we don't? Every other blog is about survival these days... are they showing Mad Max over there alot or something?

Dear oh dear...
You'll need all that stuff if you don't want to get jumped by Mister Dead. ;)