Ammonia

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
KellyB
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Ammonia

The bane of my life right now. Saffie is teething and at 16 months we only have 4 teeth so this is going to go on for a while. I use ecover for her nappies and I know that it's her teeth that is making the Ammonia worse but am I doing the best washing wise for the nappies too?? Now I have just tried soapnuts but they just aren't man enough they still smell after a wash. I would love to try Bio D but I can't get it here and don't want to be spending out on postage. I have also tried eco balls to no avail. Now do you think the ecover bio rather than non bio would be better and worth a try?? I don't use much powder so there is no residue attributing to this and I rinse twice. You see I don't mind the smell I can put up with it but it's caused 2 little blisters on her bits the other day which are now sores and I feel awful. I have used eco disposables and will use them at night if I can't solve this but I am sure there must be a way around it. Also trying hemp inserts now (on their way in the post) as I am thinking the microfibre might make it worse (got the microfibre for ease of drying as we will move into a caravan when we move from here). She's in Wonderoos in the day and used to be in Sandys bamboo at night with a fleece wrap and liner but these are so bad with ammonia (maybe not the microfibre) I am using the Wonderoos.

Sorry for babbling but does anyone else have any ideas for me 10+ brains are better than one!!!

HELP!!

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Ammonia

Ammonia is highly soluble in water so any which is in your nappies will wash out whatever washing regime you adopt.

When we were going through teething we had similar problems. We upped the change rate and used something called Karite Butter (vegetable Vaseline!) to keep the afflicted areas totally urine free. Worked a treat.

KellyB
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks I'll get some Karite Butter sounds good thanks

Vammadopper
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Hi , Clueless with the washing nappie problems -

but I used egg white on my two if they ever got sore/nappie rash. Just wipe it on as you would any cream, alow to dry so it forms a protective barrier and pop nappy on.

Works a treat and one egg white last a couple of days if kept in fridge. HTH

vam
Why be Normal?

Russian Doll

Vammadopper wrote:Hi , Clueless with the washing nappie problems -

but I used egg white on my two if they ever got sore/nappie rash. Just wipe it on as you would any cream, alow to dry so it forms a protective barrier and pop nappy on.

Works a treat and one egg white last a couple of days if kept in fridge. HTH

vam

can vouch for this...when i tried reusables with zachy he went red raw..he could not tolerate the amonia on his skin at all...egg whites and fresh air was brill

KellyB
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Just looked and Karite Butter seems to be Shea Butter which I have but it isn't working her wee must be vicious lol

I will try the egg today and get her out of her nappies to get some fresh air on her bott

ina

Sorry for being a bit thick - but how is teething making the ammonia worse? :?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Russian Doll

ina wrote:Sorry for being a bit thick - but how is teething making the ammonia worse? :?
i dont think it makes the wee stronger..more like it can causes rashs down there and then the wee aggreviats it..

The Riff-Raff Element

ina wrote:Sorry for being a bit thick - but how is teething making the ammonia worse? :?
The problem, as I understand, comes from the excess salivation associated with teething. The swallowing of this overstimulates the gut to produce the enzymes associated with the digestion of proteins, and some of these pass thorugh the bowels and end up on the outside. There they can damage skin and expose the lower layers. These lower layers are highly sensitive to irritation by ammonia in urine.

Just repeating what I was told, mind :sunny:

ina

The Riff-Raff Element wrote:
The problem, as I understand, comes from the excess salivation associated with teething. The swallowing of this overstimulates the gut to produce the enzymes associated with the digestion of proteins, and some of these pass thorugh the bowels and end up on the outside. There they can damage skin and expose the lower layers. These lower layers are highly sensitive to irritation by ammonia in urine.

Ah - that makes sense! Cheers!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Vammadopper

I always had this half baked theory that teething affected the immune system temporaily.

I used disposables with both of my two, ( bad Vam I know :oops:) but nappie rash would always flare up when teeth were coming.

DS1 was your average babe for sickness and colds

DS2 was only ever ill when he teethed, each time it would trigger ear infections and glue ear and the snots and he'd be really ill and feverish.
He had about 20 ear probs over all mostly preforations)

He was 8 years old when he was physically sick for the first time ( and thats been linked with he's gluten thingy) dispite regulary eating the contents of he's nappy, snails, slugs mud and oh, anything thing else he could get he's grubby little hands on :lol:
He only had diarhoea once to, and that was cos a freind fed him melon! ( melon has similar effect on hubby)

Incidently we used to use Teetha when teething - it' fab stuff and every new mum should be given it in the baby packs!!! DS1 had 4 molars through at the same time and was in agony - capol was usless, nurofen only really took the edge off, after 3 days on grizzling we tried it thinking it wouldn't really work - I'd never used a homepathic remedy before ( but were desparate) and with 1/2 he was smiling and an hour was asleep!!!

HTH
Why be Normal?

Vammadopper

The Riff-Raff Element wrote:

Hehehe that makes loads more sense...

...told you my thoery was half baked! :wink: :lol: :lol:
Why be Normal?

KellyB
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Yea we use teething granuals too they are fab!!

She only ever has a rash when teething ....now I know why great explanation thanks. Well it's just getting worse ugh gonna get some eco disposables for tonight just to get it cleared up they seem to keep her botty dryer when she's in the nappy all night no matter how much fleece I put in the reusable oh well I spose I shall have to be a part time reusable nappy user that makes me ish ha ha ha

LBR
Living the good life
Living the good life

Some here add baking soda to the wash cycle, or Borax, which is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax

Others put vinegar in the rinse cycle.

My mother said that hanging the diapers in the sun took care of the problem way back when.

I have found that soaking clothes in baking soda water works very well for perspiration smells. Maybe a pre-soak would would on urine, as well.

KellyB
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

mmm baking soda can break down the fiber in the nappies I used to use it but was told not too I will look into borax though. As for the sun yep that is what we do and it works BUT we don't have any sun it's the only time I get totally neutralised nappies I leave them out for a couple of days and they smell new again. I think we need to move to the sun hee hee now I have an excuse too!!

Leaving her out of the nappy today overnight it got very much worse disposables tonight I am afraid ugh