Solar Tubes - options

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Solar Tubes - options

juperwort wrote:Trying to wade through the mud of information on Solar Water.

I have a four bed victorian semi in Nottingham, with a nice south facing roof to rear, with the current cylinder about 8 foot below.

I want to get someone in to quote for the above, but I am perplexed by the number of different options. I want it to work, but obviously dont want to be ripped off etc etc.

I had my head set on Tubes on the roof, and a dual coil cylinder to replace the existing cylinder. then i read this

http://www.heatmyhome.co.uk/evacuated-solar-tubes.htm

Is this all double glazing speak, or is it for real ?

I am not after getting someone to do the research for me, just want honest answer. Thanks
I don't have the technical side to me to have an oppinion on the virtues of this site but looking at the PV pages it states £4,450 (£5,299 inclusive VAT+delivery) for a 1kxh set up and for the 2 kWp DIY kit
Premium quality kit for domestic use £6,696 (£7,867 inclusive VAT+delivery). I am currently becomeing a zelot in cutting my electric consumption and still use 8 kwh per day NOW let alone in the winter. At nearly 8 grand for a maximum 0f 25% ( probably closer to 10% PA[estimate]) i think I'll stick with the solar water for now.
hth.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Big Al

Re:

red wrote:
juperwort wrote:OI, pack it in. This is my thread !
quite right! :flower:

btw.. we spoke to a roofer about installing the solar tubes,, and how our slates are in a bad way, and he said they dont attach to the slates - or tiles in your case, they need to go onto the timber underneath, so if thats in ok state, you could still proceed... I could of course be wrong.. but this is what we were told by someone who could easily tried to sell us a new roof..
There is two mounting versions. One goes directly onto the slates, tiles, sheets etc and is fixed to the roof trusses and the other is for if you are replacing the roof and you can fix the mounting frame direct to the roof trusses and then tile or slate up to the mounting panel. The only difference is that there is a flashings kit for the second one.
hth
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Big Al

Re:

red wrote:there is a lot to be gained from asking people who have solar installed what they did and what they regret etc. we did this.. approached someone locally (easy to spot.. tubes on roof!) and asked if we could have a chat. they were more than happy to show us.
I found one in hartlepool....... yey... not got round to asking yet but also found one about 5 miles away. They were absolutly over joyed to talk and recomended smart solar even though they were on watchdog and rouge traders etc.

I got a quote from them and they use a good system but one that has been superseeded by a newer version of tubes although they still sell the old tubes. a £10g price soon came down to £7700 if I became a "smart house" and get other peole to buy.

I've done a bit of digging over the last 24 hours and have realised they are a "bit on the expensive side" ... allegedly.

Still I have to thank them for the close up of the tubes and the name of the tubes so I could web search them.
Secret Asparagus binger

xone
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I can do you a dual coil solar system with a 20 tube panel for less than £2500. Assuming you have easy access to roof and loft spaces.

I don't mean to hawk my wares or anything but I run a renewables company, only small, and I hate to see anyone ripped off as I know how much these systems cost and how long it takes to install them. Message me if you're interested.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

xone, welcome to the site, feel free to put a link for your website in your signature and in the 'links' section.

We don't take kindly to adverts on this site, I understand your position just letting you know. :mrgreen:

Hope you enjoy the site it is nice to have a man that knows.

I think I was given a price of roughly 4500, but that was around a year ago.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Big Al

xone wrote:I can do you a dual coil solar system with a 20 tube panel for less than £2500. Assuming you have easy access to roof and loft spaces.

I don't mean to hawk my wares or anything but I run a renewables company, only small, and I hate to see anyone ripped off as I know how much these systems cost and how long it takes to install them. Message me if you're interested.
The prices are coming down all the time. Thanks for the offer xone but I'll pass just now simply because I've spent a good bt on the insulation so the next traunch of money is for the rewire and replaster. Also we are in a smoke control area so are limited to the wood fires we were going to use to suppliament the solar and i ain't buying a new tank when I can replace the old boiler with a condenser one for a little under £500.

Also you can get a 20 tube solar panel for under £500 now so if DIY is your bag then it's easy.
Secret Asparagus binger

xone

Big Al wrote:
xone wrote:I can do you a dual coil solar system with a 20 tube panel for less than £2500. Assuming you have easy access to roof and loft spaces.

The prices are coming down all the time. Thanks for the offer xone but I'll pass just now simply because I've spent a good bt on the insulation so the next traunch of money is for the rewire and replaster. Also we are in a smoke control area so are limited to the wood fires we were going to use to suppliament the solar and i ain't buying a new tank when I can replace the old boiler with a condenser one for a little under £500.

Also you can get a 20 tube solar panel for under £500 now so if DIY is your bag then it's easy.
Indeed. You can in fact get a "panel" for less than that now, don't be drawn into thinking that £500 will get you all you need for the install, there are some clever marketing methods out there. However, it sounds like you know what you're doing, If you need some advice I'm happy to help.

Big Al

xone wrote:
Big Al wrote:

Indeed. You can in fact get a "panel" for less than that now, don't be drawn into thinking that £500 will get you all you need for the install, there are some clever marketing methods out there. However, it sounds like you know what you're doing, If you need some advice I'm happy to help.
Thanks to the many internet sites I've been able to do a lot of research. I've taken my time and thankfully never went with the first quote of £10,200 lol.

The £500 panel is indeed the sunstar panel and it's just that, a 20 tube ev panel. If your quote was to include the gledhill torrent RE 300ltr twin coil tank a couple of panels and fitting including a solar controller then you are indeed talking an excellent quote but somehow I think it won't ( cost wise).
It is interesting and pleasing that you run a seemingly good company not wishing to jump on the bandwagon like some of the solar "big boys" .

Take care,

Big al.
Secret Asparagus binger

solarcooker
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

There are big problems with putting solar heating systems on the roof. The weight(especially for a hot water system), the possibility of roof leaks, the lack of accessibility for maintenance, the inability to change the angle of the collector with the seasons, and the costs involved with installation. That's also assuming you have a section of roof which is oriented in the proper direction.

You would be better off with a collector that's at ground level, for all of those reasons. It can run directly into the side of the house (or basement). You can always plant a line of bushes along it to hide it from view. You could also do the installation yourself when the system is at ground level, instead of using an expensive roofing contractor.

Big Al

solarcooker wrote:There are big problems with putting solar heating systems on the roof. The weight(especially for a hot water system), the possibility of roof leaks, the lack of accessibility for maintenance, the inability to change the angle of the collector with the seasons, and the costs involved with installation. That's also assuming you have a section of roof which is oriented in the proper direction.

You would be better off with a collector that's at ground level, for all of those reasons. It can run directly into the side of the house (or basement). You can always plant a line of bushes along it to hide it from view. You could also do the installation yourself when the system is at ground level, instead of using an expensive roofing contractor.
I would tend to disagree with most of your post ( in a nice way of course) as there is very little weight, around 32 - 45 kg for an evac tube panel. The possibillity of roof leaks, well you are open to the elements with a roof anyway. Also good systems come with collars provided or you can put it into a recessed kit and then lead flash the kit to the roof. as for the angle of the roof the optimum angle in the Uk is 38.9Deg but there is also a tollerance of +/- 10 deg and you will still get a good output.

I agree a ground floor or wall mounted system might be easier for maintanence but with footballing kids and manic dogs the panels wouldn't last long in many households I fear. As for maintainance, they don't need it except for a change of fluid every 2-3 years (ish)

Planting bushes will no doubt obscure some of the panel eventually. My biggest problem will be getting the planning consent in a conservation area.....
Secret Asparagus binger

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Could I tag onto this thread to ask a probably silly question (I know - there are no silly questions on Ish!!)?

I've been looking at a kit on ebay and it looks quite reasonable (full kit for £750). We can't fit it to the roof - ex-army flat concrete, felted - so it has to go on the wall or floor. We're south-west facing so that shouldn't be a problem and as the arc of the sun is vastly different through the year, this far north, it'll be easier to make any necessary adjustments.

The problem we have is wind - we've already had nearly 80mph winds in October and in Jan/Feb it will probably get even higher. The record thus far is about 124mph a few years ago - so unusual but not unknown.

What's the chance of solar tubes standing up to this sort of battering? They will be a little sheltered because the prevailing wind is up the side rather than across the front of the building, but it still gets a fair old bashing from hail.

Any advice?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

juperwort

move house :wink:

sorry, i'll get my coat.../.

Big Al

Green Aura wrote:Could I tag onto this thread to ask a probably silly question (I know - there are no silly questions on Ish!!)?

I've been looking at a kit on ebay and it looks quite reasonable (full kit for £750). We can't fit it to the roof - ex-army flat concrete, felted - so it has to go on the wall or floor. We're south-west facing so that shouldn't be a problem and as the arc of the sun is vastly different through the year, this far north, it'll be easier to make any necessary adjustments.

The problem we have is wind - we've already had nearly 80mph winds in October and in Jan/Feb it will probably get even higher. The record thus far is about 124mph a few years ago - so unusual but not unknown.

What's the chance of solar tubes standing up to this sort of battering? They will be a little sheltered because the prevailing wind is up the side rather than across the front of the building, but it still gets a fair old bashing from hail.

Any advice?
I'll look at some of my solar sites and see if anything comes up. Alternativly contact the company and ask them but also ask them what garuntee they offer for this because it's easy to say " oh yes they will withstand those winds only to find out you were talking to an " ex employee" when you come to make a claim. Also check out your house insureance as some don't cover solar instillations....
Secret Asparagus binger

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stoney has a professionally fitted solartwin unit fitted on the roof at his croft in Aberdeenshire, they are very exposed and he was adamant when we were chatting about it that it was perfectly sound in 80mph winds - he probably has details on his blog about it as he rarely visits this sit these days.
http://stonehead.wordpress.com/
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

Green Aura wrote:Could I tag onto this thread to ask a probably silly question (I know - there are no silly questions on Ish!!)?

Any advice?
If you're worried about tubes getting broken by hail, bear in mind that with most systems individual replacement tubes can be fitted quite easily. Or, just get a flat panel - if the toughened glass gets broken, the panel will still work and the glass can be replaced.

The flat roof is probably a blessing - because you can place and orientate the collectors however you want. Just get a frame to mount them on.

If you're concerned about them all getting caned by the wind (...or is that kind of speed hurricane?) you could box them in at the back. If they're on a flat roof, presumably you're worried about the wind getting underneath them and causing lift. If you were to box in the back, that wouldn't be an issue. My panel's on our flat roof, and I'll be boxing the back section in at some point.