Does anyone know where I can buy...........? Help please?

Do you want more categories on this forum? Do you want to see some other things on the main site? Any suggestions you have, please let us know.
MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Does anyone know where I can buy...........? Help please?

I am often looking for stuff that is difficult to source. It may be that someone on this forum knows exactly where to source a particular item or may know where something can be purchased at an advantageous price. eg. Recently I was looking for some 20mm plastic beads with a hole through the centre. I was unable to find them but did find some wooden ones which have proved unsatisfactory for the job. I would still like some plastic ones, any ideas?Currently I am looking for 2 pieces of brass about the same dimensions as a cigarette packet. I am always doing stuff so it will be something else next week.

So my suggestion is to have a board with the above heading. We could also use it to ask for help & advice to do with a project about which another forum user might have experience.

Personally I could contribute in a variety of ways. Among other things I am an RYA instructor so will be able to help people studying for their qualifications.

Good idea/Bad idea???
MINESAPINT

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Does anyone know where I can buy...........? Help please?

Do you mean 20mm diameter? Are the beads you are talking about something like a Hama bead? If so you can find them in Woolies - they are those things that kids put on a peg baord and make shapes with that they iron so the beads melt and the whole thing becomes solid. Also - Ikea do something similar in the kids section in a big jar. Hope that's not totally useless!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yes I did mean 20mm diameter. Thanks for the info - thats what I mean.
MINESAPINT

Milims

Glad to be of service! :mrgreen: Just thought - you could also try Hobbycraft.
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm, not a bad idea perhaps. I skeptical about a section like that as it could easily attract people just here to sell there wares which can get a little tiresome. Perhaps something along the lines of a what could you use instead, dunno there is a good idea there somewhere I think.....
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

pumpy

alternative uses/adaptions/substitutes - or is that too similar to "helps&tips" ?
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

We have given the idea a try out with the beads I am looking for. I will try out the leads Milims has supplied.

Does anyone else have any requirements/need any advice?
MINESAPINT

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just thinking about a heading/title for this proposed board.

"And finally Sir/Madam could we be of any further assistance"
MINESAPINT

marshlander

Doesn't the tips and probs board cover it?

For the brass try http://www.smithmetal.com/products/catalogue.asp
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Considered that but the Tips & Problems board comes under the general heading "if it grows it goes here".
MINESAPINT

marshlander

You're right.
Maybe it should move to everything else.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

urbanwookie
Tom Good
Tom Good

MINESAPINT wrote:Currently I am looking for 2 pieces of brass about the same dimensions as a cigarette packet.
Do you mean the same thickness as a cigarette packet too - eg 25mm bar - or are you just looking for some thin sheet brass the same size as one side of a cigarette packet?

The problem with most sources of engineering materials is that you have to buy what for most people would be a lifetime supply! I think B&Q sell thin sheet metals but they are - in my opinion - somewhat expensive. eBay can be a good source of brass sheet at a reasonable price - or you can use a cheap brass finger plate or door plate sliced up as required.

What are we going to do when cigarette packets and Rizla packet flaps are no longer standard units of measurement? :c)

rb

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi Urbanwookie, I do need 2 thick pieces of brass, bronze or stainless steel. I have a small sailing boat which has 2 galvanised steel rudder bearings which are starting to rust. They will be OK for a year or two but I am planning to replace them along with the keel at some stage. I have found an online supplier of stainless steel in small quantities, they will supply lengths of 250mm and offer thicknesses up to 12mm in suitable widths. My requirement would be 250mm of 12mm x 70mm which is about £20 plus Vat & carriage. I then need to get a hole drilled in it about one inch for the rudder stock and a slot for the rudder blade to pass through.

I do know someone who is a model engineer who does his own brass castings. I will not ask him to cast these for me as he has enough on with his own hobby but he assures me it is very simple to make castings out of brass. This is something I have under consideration. Any advice welcome.

Thanks for your reply.
MINESAPINT

urbanwookie
Tom Good
Tom Good

I hesitate to mention it...but have you considered plastics? I've had a fair bit of experience working with Tufset and Acetal and both are pretty tough materials - acetal is particularly good for friction and wear resistance and not as brittle as Tufset. You can buy both through RS or Farnell and probably a host of other suppliers. You might even find a local machine shop or small-run engineering firm that can sell offcuts.

The load might be too much for it though...and it might not be any cheaper than making the part in metal.

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Urbanwookie, Thanks for suggestion. I had considered it but all similar boats are using bronze & steel which we know works but this does not mean a suitable plastic will not do the job and may have some advantages. It is a question of whether I am going to be the guinea pig. I suppose one problem might be as the boat is launched from a beach it will get sand in the bearing which could lead to premature wear. However I will add 2 pieces of plastic to my wish list and see what turns up first.
MINESAPINT