Topsoil - where do you get yours from?!

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Turf cutter man
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Molehills! You see them everwhere. There are the best form of free, fertile soil. Obviously if you need a lot you may be out of luck. We have gathered up about 400 litres from two moles on our land in the last 6weeks!!!

that said one of our dogs killed one the other day so production has slowed...i am sure another will soon move in.

moles...you can't get rid of them learn to live with them....they eat a lot of pests too
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Topsoil - where do you get yours from?!

A cautionary tale
We had our previous garden landscaped by a reputable (and expensive) landscaper. He removed all the topsoil which we had nurtured and improved over a period of 15 years and sent it off in a skip. Several months later he filled our beautiful new raised beds in the kitchen garden with topsoil bought from a supposedly reputable supplier.
Our garden is now full of horsetail and various other perennial weeds never before seen in our garden. Our house is on the market, empty, and I've had to blitz the whole area with long-acting weedkiller, which quite frankly make me feel sick - I've never used it before but can't get rid of such pernicious weeds from 500 miles away.
Please be careful where you get it from - I feel so sorry that whoever buys our house will have to spend a lot of time getting rid of the horsetail - I'm sure the weedkiller will get rid of everything else. The garden was the crowning glory of our house. Now I'm just glad I don't live there any more.
Maggie
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Topsoil - where do you get yours from?!

If you have horsetail in your garden and you live in said offending garden - trying taking a kettle of boiling water and trickling in down stem close to ground - seems to work by boiling the roots. Needs doing regularly so that stuff doesn't go to seed and spread so to speak but trick does seem to work.