Organic beauty products

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
sunpuppy
Tom Good
Tom Good

Organic beauty products

Can anyone recommend a range of organic beauty products that don't cost a fortune?

I don't mind paying a bit extra to get them than for the chemically laden ones, but most organic ranges seem to be about double the price!

I've tried making my own moisturiser but it was really heavy on my skin - not pleasant!

Or maybe someone has a good recipe to make your own?

manxminx
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Face masks

Nourishing face mask for dry skin
You will need:

2 oz/60g ripe avocado flesh
1 oz/25g orange juice
1 tsp/5g pure acacia honey
1 tsp/5g molasses
5 drops chamomile essential oil
Put all the ingredients in a blender, or mash by hand in a bowl. Add extra orange juice if the mixture is too thick. Use your fingers to spread the mask over your face and neck and leave it on for at least 30 minutes, preferably longer, before removing. Use a warm flannel to rinse off the mask - this will help gently exfoliate skin as well as clean your face. This mask will keep for a day or two in the fridge if you don't use it all.
Honey face mask for sensitive skin
Warm a small pot of honey in a double boiler, then test a small amount on your hand to make sure it's not too hot. When warm, apply the honey generously over your entire face. Leave the mask on for 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with warm, then cool water.

Egg white mask for oily skin
You will need:

1 egg white
6 drops witch hazel
6 drops lemon juice
Whisk the egg white until it's stiff, and then add the remaining ingredients. Gently apply the mixture to your face, avoiding your eyes. Leave to dry for 15 minutes or so. Rinse well with warm water.
Marie Antoinette's face mask
This wife of King Louis XVI of France was a legendary beauty. Many believe that this mixture was the secret of her clear and glowing skin - so much so that it's still used as a popular facial treatment in France. This mask is suitable for all skin types, but the witch hazel and lemon can be harsh on dry skin. If you indulge, be sure to use your regular moisturiser afterwards.
You will need:

1 egg
Juice of one lemon
4 tbsp cup non-fat dry milk powder
1 tbsp witch hazel
Put all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and mix well. Alternatively, you can blend them together by using a fork or a wire whisk. Apply the mixture to your face, neck and chest and allow it to dry for around 15 minutes. Use the remaining cream as a cleanser to remove the mask. Then, rinse your face thoroughly with warm water and pat dry.
Butter face mask
You will need:

1 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 large strawberry, mashed
Or 1 2.5-cm (1 inch) slice of cucumber, chopped and rubbed through a sieve (for normal to dry skin)
Or 1 tbsp lemon juice (for oily skin)
Or 1 egg yolk (for dry skin)
Beat the butter in a bowl, then beat in your chosen ingredient. Apply mask immediately and leave on for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove with a wet, warm washcloth. Butter is a good source of vitamin A, so it makes a perfect mask for sensitive, sunburned or damaged skin.

manxminx
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

http://www.dermaglow.co.uk/
AVON and i think Garnier also do a good range of organic beauty products

judyofthewoods
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

this is a reasonably priced range from the natural collection, but then postage adds a fair bit. Perhaps its available (to order maybe) from a healthfood shop.
http://www.naturalcollection.com/natcol ... group=1327
Greetings from Judy of the Woods

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

judyofthewoods wrote:this is a reasonably priced range from the natural collection, but then postage adds a fair bit. Perhaps its available (to order maybe) from a healthfood shop.
http://www.naturalcollection.com/natcol ... group=1327
quite a lot of other things on that site too judy, the clockwork torch is a good idea as is the emergency mobile phone charger. I think I have come across that site before but a long time ago. So thanks for the reminder.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

sunpuppy
Tom Good
Tom Good

Great - thanks for that.

I'm going to check out the websites, and have a go at one of the face masks this weekend... :bom:

green-girl
Tom Good
Tom Good

www.onegrp.com/?wildfire - organic skin/hair/personal care and cosmetics. Most items carry organic certification.

I use these. They're very nice!

Libby
Living the good life
Living the good life

Use milk applied on a cotton ball or cloth for a facial cleanser.
Leave for a few minutes and rinse off in lukewarm water.
I want to wake up in the morning and see green!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is all too late for me alas :oops:
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

LMAO Nev.....

Some of these new fangled products are supposed to make wrinkles 'decrease' -

What I want to know is what happens to the skin in the wrinkles if you uncrease them..... a creased piece of paper takes up less space on my desk than a flat one... if I decrease my face will it hang below my chin???? :mrgreen:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

No mate, every bottle has a special top on it, when you finish the bottle you affix the top to the back of your head and then turn it and it tightens up all that loose skin. :mrgreen:

The side efect is that after some time you wind up with nostrils in the middle of your forehead. :shock:

(Sorry, I really shouldn't eat so many steamed chinese dumplings at once)

Nev

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Shirley

:mrgreen: so that's where I've been going wrong :lol:

chinese dumplings - what's in em?
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dunno......"meat" I suppose, not game to ask any further than that.................................taste good, but!

Nev

LSP
Tom Good
Tom Good

Dunno......"meat" I suppose, not game to ask any further than that.................................taste good, but!

Nev
Pork, usually, with prawns, Chinese chives, etc, and lots of MSG.

My mum was so frugal she used to buy eggs that had slightly cracked shells. They were used on the same day any way so it didn't matter.

The thing is after she had emptied the contents for her cooking, she would scrape the shells with her fingers and smear her face with the remnants of the egg. That was her beauty treatment.

On occasions when she bought soft doufu (tofu, ie soy bean cake) (sold in large basins/trays, always soaked in lots of water), she'd mash up a small portion and ... smear it on her face. Beauty treatment number 2.

What did she look like? Although she was very ill, and the areas around her eyes were a bit puffy, she did not have many wrinkles when she died at 70.
the hanky lady at Organic-Ally and OrganicAlly.Blogspot

QuakerBear

As long as you're not too pale you can use a face mask made of water, oats and haldi (tumeric). The oats make your skin lovely and smooth, I think it's because they're slightly abrasive. Don't do this if you're pale though because the haldi will dye you slightly orange. :oops:
QuakerBear