Pedal Power Project

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
ToolUsingAnimal
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Pedal Power Project

Hey druids,

So I'll be coming back to Bristol soon, do a bit of work with Kebele and the Permacultists. But I want to build a bike generator, and document it for posterity. The idea is to video it all, so as to make a DVD of useful skills...

Anyone interested?
Be good, take care, have fun

@)

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep I would be up for that if I have time. Give me a shout if you want me to join.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

ToolUsingAnimal
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Ace. Cheers boss. :bom:
Be good, take care, have fun

@)

Ellendra
A selfsufficientish Regular

I've been wanting to build a bike generator for a while. I'd seen demonstration models, but they always had such low resistance they couldn't possibly be capturing the amount of energy possible. I'd love to see what you come up with.

grahoom
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've been looking into pedal powered stuff for a while, but it seems that for a hell of a lot of work not much energy is produced - which I am sure isn't strictly true, so would be interested in trying to make one - just to see it working myself (personally I have limited space for such tinkerings).
|You can't feel lonely with nature as your companion| millican dalton

ina

This idea has been on SSIsh a few times - I remember I started a thread years ago - am still hoping to have a pedal power computer one of these days! :mrgreen:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

DominicJ
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

1 horse power is about 750 watts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_powe ... sepower.22

A person can do 0.1hp for sustained periods, so 75 watts, not exactly bad, but not great either
I'm not a hippie, I'm a realist.
I think everyones English

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yup, I tried to commit suicide on one years ago........
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

John Headstrong

DominicJ wrote:1 horse power is about 750 watts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_powe ... sepower.22

A person can do 0.1hp for sustained periods, so 75 watts, not exactly bad, but not great either
quite right there DominicJ
One of the things you should be aware of before you start is the energy output of an average person. Although some athletes can produce amazing power outputs for short periods, the maximum continuous output you can get from an average person is an eighth of a horsepower or a bit less than 100 Watts. (Makes you think about making a horse powered generator doesn't it). Not only that, 100 Watts of mechanical energy translates to maybe 60 W or so of electrical by the time it's been converted.
taken from http://www.c-realevents.demon.co.uk/alt ... pedgen.htm

also
http://www.pedalpa.org.uk/
has some info

The Prehistorian
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

average person is an eighth of a horsepower or a bit less than 100 Watts.
I think that might be under reading a little.....even back when I was suffering from PVFS I could put out around 200W for sustained periods. OK, I do ride a bike a lot but no more than would be possible for the average person - I don't train or race etc just pootle around. I think that initially power output for the average person would be low but after a while they'd see it ramp up a fair bit, it's all about geting the muscles used tot he bike.

Tom Thumb
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

ahh this is something I wanted to ask about.

I've been thinking of hooking up and old bike to some sort of dynamo, which goes through some sort of charge regulator and charges a 12 volt battery.

I want to do it as cheaply as possible, so probably with some sort of recondition motor as the dynamo. would this work? and can anyone recommend from what type of machine or appliance I met get something suitable?

Big Al

Re:

Tom Thumb wrote:ahh this is something I wanted to ask about.

I've been thinking of hooking up and old bike to some sort of dynamo, which goes through some sort of charge regulator and charges a 12 volt battery.

I want to do it as cheaply as possible, so probably with some sort of recondition motor as the dynamo. would this work? and can anyone recommend from what type of machine or appliance I met get something suitable?
Could you not rig up some type of svonious rotor but instead of having the "fan" bit to spin round over the coils you have the metal washers stuck to the to the back wheel and have the coils static ??
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger