Hearts?

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Hearts?

looks like good, cheap meat... but I have some questions my mum can't answer.
1. what's the best one to try an offal virgin on? I'm not an ofal virgin, but hubby is. What'd be, I supppose, the mildest heart to eat?
2. what's the best way to cook/disguise it

thanks!!!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Ratty
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hugh F-W cooked lambs heart with a vegetarian on River Cottage Spring last night - receipe - http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/ch ... e_p_1.html

I can't really say which is mildest as I've not eaten meat for almost 20 years but I hope the above is helpful.

:flower: Ratty
:flower: Ratty

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/in_memory_of_joeb - Raising money for charity selling lots of things! Please take a look!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lamb hearts to start with, certainly. And they're delicious, although I've met very few people who didn't shudder at the thought ("But it's the poor thing's HEART!!!").

Get rid of the inner membranes and cut off any suet from the outside, cut the meat into chunks, flour and brown them and then use them in any standard casserole recipe. You end up with tender and lean chunks of meat which I'd challenge anyone to recognise as heart - and it really DOES taste good. Later, you can go on to stuffed heart.

Beef hearts are much richer and stronger in taste (and much, much bigger) - I'd leave those till you've broken him in.

ina

Ratty wrote:Hugh F-W cooked lambs heart with a vegetarian on River Cottage Spring last night
Ergh - what am I missing here: he cooked heart with a vegetarian - did he cook the vegetarian as well? :shock:

Glad I wasn't around to be chosen as the vegetarian to be cooked! :mrgreen:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Lamb / sheep hearts - superb, I find it easiest to snip the inner membranes out with scissors and stuff with ye olde paxo or whatever your stuffin of choice is, 'stitch' the gap with a small skewer, dust them with seasoned flour, brown them off and then add stock and a good mix of veggies and pressure-cook 'em
Ox/beasts heart needs longer slower cooking, I recall my Mum cooking it once and serving it sliced up like a roast dinner - not an entire heart as I reckon they're rather big
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

red

as it happens my mutton has come back from the slaughter yesterday and I have two hearts (got one free) I like the sound of that stuffed version.. so will have to do that, . probably one day my son is away.. as we only have the two...
I was having a nice time squeezing one and watching the chambers move etc.. when himself told me the sheep was probably past resussitating..
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

mrsflibble

thanks everyone! will have to beone dy when he's either at work or out cos if he sees what they are, he wont eat them.i am going to start with the casserole i think.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very

Cheezy

HFW did paprikash, a hungarian stew based on lambs heart,tongues etc (for valentines day!.) can't find that recipe (it's in his books). Found this related one:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 006672.ece
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Lambs hearts stuffed with sage and onion BOOTIFULL wif a nice gravy oops just dribbled over the keyboard :drunken:
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

John Headstrong

Re: Hearts?

mrsflibble wrote:looks like good, cheap meat... but I have some questions my mum can't answer.
1. what's the best one to try an offal virgin on? I'm not an ofal virgin, but hubby is. What'd be, I supppose, the mildest heart to eat?
2. what's the best way to cook/disguise it

thanks!!!
maybe try liver, again Hugh F-W cooked it the other day on TV, and he also made a nice soup looking soup from the lungs. Hugh did not tell the veggy that the soup had lungs in it, and she said "that is delicious!" before she realised that the lungs where in there.

get some liver and tell him that it is a lovely bit of meat that cost you a fortune.

tiggy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

lambs heart curry,prep them as for casserole in small enough bits not to be obvious. cook for long time slowly.dont tell till meal eaten. only way my beloved willeat them and the :cat: isnt interested in curry so we get to eat in peace

mrsflibble

that curry sounds good. as for suggestions of liver, I myself don't like it- BUT AT LEAST I'VE TRIED IT lol! I never say I don't like something until I've tried it. Love kidneys, not tried lungs, tripe, sweetbreads, testicles or brain, but I'd be willing to lol!!!

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

The best I've had was Involtini di Pollo - Chickens Hearts.

Clean them of the sinews & fat, wrap them tightly in cleaned intestines, marinade in olive oil, salt, garlic and pepper for 30 minutes. Roast in an oven for 30 mins.

You can't disguise it, but it was outstanding. You can involtini (bind in intestines) many things - lambs liver is the most common, but we did the gizzard and chicken liver the same day and it was all great.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

http://www.cookitsimply.com/category-0020-01f50.html

This has some interesting looking recipes.
Funnily enough I bought 2 lambs hearts for the first time ever last week and was only this morning looking at what to do with them!
My OH fancies the casserole - he's a sucker for dumplings (why am I blushing).
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin