Solar Tubes - options

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
juperwort
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Solar Tubes - options

Trying to wade through the mud of information on Solar Water.

I have a four bed victorian semi in Nottingham, with a nice south facing roof to rear, with the current cylinder about 8 foot below.

I want to get someone in to quote for the above, but I am perplexed by the number of different options. I want it to work, but obviously dont want to be ripped off etc etc.

I had my head set on Tubes on the roof, and a dual coil cylinder to replace the existing cylinder. then i read this

http://www.heatmyhome.co.uk/evacuated-solar-tubes.htm

Is this all double glazing speak, or is it for real ?

I am not after getting someone to do the research for me, just want honest answer. Thanks

mybarnconversion
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'd take that page with a pinch of salt. Number of reasons ...

1. DIY on any plumbed system is risky (unless you're a plumber).
2. Direct heating of water sold as a benefit - why?
3. There's little reference to the technical details: 'unique valve' that interfaces to your existing tank, a generic 'solar controller' with variable speed electric pump etc.
4. 10 year warranty - most panels have longer warranties than that.

...may be genuinely new technology, but be cautious.

I'm no expert, but I'd recommend speaking to a couple of local solar thermal suppliers and see what they suggest. Even show them that website and see what they say.

Be interested to hear how you progress...

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

The best source for impartial information on solar DHW systems that I've come across is the Centre for Alternate Technology (cat.org.uk.) They have plenty of information available for free or for a nominal charge if you download their booklets.

As far as I can see, the whole area is becoming muddied by vendors selling over-complicated/over-priced systems, or plain old mis-informing people.

The website in question isn't selling anything radical. Drainback designs have been in use for years. Tubes can be used for direct or indirect systems, so there's nothing new there.

I'd dispute many of their claims about efficiency and reliability, but last time I did on this forum I got flamed.

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

there is a lot to be gained from asking people who have solar installed what they did and what they regret etc. we did this.. approached someone locally (easy to spot.. tubes on roof!) and asked if we could have a chat. they were more than happy to show us.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

juperwort

Thats a good idea, might just do that. Just found out that half of our roof tiles have split & rotten, so me thinks the solar water will have to wait. :(

guyd
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

try www.nav***on.org.uk

I have one of their systems - cost 2K inc getting a plumber in to do the very very long run (hundreds on copper pipe spent) - I have a 60 tube setup - way bigger than normally necessary.

jondy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

moderators note:

this post has been edited out as it related to questions to the moderators of this forum and not this thread. These questions will be dealt with in due course, privately, but this thread can continue.

lets keep it on topic, and 'be excellent' to one another :flower:

juperwort

OI, pack it in. This is my thread !

red

juperwort wrote:OI, pack it in. This is my thread !
quite right! :flower:

btw.. we spoke to a roofer about installing the solar tubes,, and how our slates are in a bad way, and he said they dont attach to the slates - or tiles in your case, they need to go onto the timber underneath, so if thats in ok state, you could still proceed... I could of course be wrong.. but this is what we were told by someone who could easily tried to sell us a new roof..
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

etsy shop

blog

juperwort

my prob is that i will most likely have to spend the money on fixing the rotten delaminating tiles rather than nice funky stuff like solar water. yesterday, we had a 4' by 5' hole in the roof, and it wasn't dry yesterday !

Thanks for the links folks...

jondy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

You asked for advice on solar tubes. My post is directly related.
Delaminated tiles, do you mean slates?

If you have noticed a 4' by 5' hole in your roof it would be best to attend to that, I agree. You could fit a velux window in there.

John

juperwort

tiles, rosemarys. Pitted on outside edge, pitted on rear, if you take one out, the thing delaminates. Quite scarey really. Hole now plugged with some new tiles.

I appreciate the advice, really. Just dont like the flaming & point making. Is there a soapbox on this forum ? Another one i frequent has all the 'discussions' on there, out of the way of chat & technical.

red

juperwort wrote:my prob is that i will most likely have to spend the money on fixing the rotten delaminating tiles rather than nice funky stuff like solar water. yesterday, we had a 4' by 5' hole in the roof, and it wasn't dry yesterday !

Thanks for the links folks...
its ever thus.. we have been trying to get some DG windows put in for a year now.. each time we scrape the funds together (and its only 3 windows) something crops up... like finding out that the supporting internal wall.. was not supporting anything!
and perhaps we should get a new roof before solar too.. :cry: being sensible sucks...
Red

etsy shop

blog

mybarnconversion
Living the good life
Living the good life

red wrote: btw.. we spoke to a roofer about installing the solar tubes,, and how our slates are in a bad way, and he said they dont attach to the slates - or tiles in your case, they need to go onto the timber underneath, so if thats in ok state, you could still proceed... I could of course be wrong.. but this is what we were told by someone who could easily tried to sell us a new roof..
Quite right red.

There are two methods for roof mounted panels in-roof where the slates are removed and the panels attached to the (usually) wooden roof structure and on-roof that sits on the existing roof. Planners in general prefer the lower profile in roof. Solar panels are now a permitted development in planning terms so long as roof mounted panels do not extend more than 200 millimetres from the roof. So in-roof in a no-brainer for a damaged roof although more costly.

Big Al

Re:

red wrote:there is a lot to be gained from asking people who have solar installed what they did and what they regret etc. we did this.. approached someone locally (easy to spot.. tubes on roof!) and asked if we could have a chat. they were more than happy to show us.
unless you live in hartlepool where no one has solar water....hmmmm,lol.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger