RANT WARNING! School Trip

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
baldowrie
A selfsufficientish Regular

RANT WARNING! School Trip

My daughter is going on a school trip tomorrow and the school after much consideration have recommended that each child takes between £5-£10 each to spend in the shop :shock: ...they are taking lunch with them.

Well not my one. I have spoken to her and explained that the more she spends on tat in tacky souvenir shops the less places she can visit. She will get a couple of pounds for an ice cream and that's it!

I know there is inflation but should school really be encouraging children to spend so much on what will be either sweets or complete rubbish? :angry4:

Russian Doll

good for you im lucky hannahs of to colchester castle next week but the school have said no more than two quid

what i dont get is how schools can justify so much money for the year 5 trip

they take them to the isle of wight for 5 days and its going to cost me 600 pounds i mean how can they justify it..i could take all 6 of us on holiday to the island for less than that

baldowrie

I have never known a school recommending this amount...£2 at the most but mainly £1 for ice cream.

Just show you how materialist the teachers are to even consider this reasonable.

Russian Doll

i think every child should only be able to take a couple of quid...then it doesnt make the kids who havnt got a lot of money feel bad

red

:shock: have they no concept that some people are on a budget? never mind the fact its hardly a good place to spend the money...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

baldowrie

we have already paid for the trip too.....

I think it just shows that they have no concept of the value of money and judge everything by their own spending habits.

As I said to my daughter if you spend money in every souvenir shop you go to then you have to forfeit a trip because I can't afford to pay out all the time. She can save her pocket money for her holiday where it will be better spent!

MrsD'ville
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

SS, year 10, went on a History GCSE trip recently to the battlefields of Belgium and France. he had a great time, it was a great trip etc, but they were away for three full days, with travelling on the other two, and the school said no more than £100 - a hundred pounds!!! All food and accommodation was provided so this was can of coke and souvenir money, I was staggered. SS had put £20 aside and took that, good for him.

It's a never ending round of requests for money at the moment - I joked with DH that we may as well have sent them privately (not that we could afford it!) as we're funding so many of their educational activities. I'd like to home ed but that's not an option so far as DH is concerned, ah well...

lsm1066
Living the good life
Living the good life

tea690 wrote:what i dont get is how schools can justify so much money for the year 5 trip

they take them to the isle of wight for 5 days and its going to cost me 600 pounds i mean how can they justify it..i could take all 6 of us on holiday to the island for less than that
When my eldest went on the school IoW trip (18 months ago) it cost £250, because instead of going in May, they went in October. So well before the SATS and outside the expensive time of the year. The weather was still great, the kids had a fantastic time and, most importantly, the parents weren't bankrupted by the trip!

As for general school trips, I've always been told the kids can have an absolute maximum of £5 with a recommendation for about £2 and, best of all, a price list from the shop attached to the venue so we know what stuff's likely to cost.

Lynne

Esther.R
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I used to be education officer at a museum and the majority of schools we got in for the day recommended a maximum of £2 spending money and we saw hundreds (usually 4 schools a day all through the summer and at least one school a day most of the rest of the year). That does seem outrageous of the school.