The use of language...

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
sackville
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

So, 'to cascade' is to disseminate. I must admit that I had to check the spelling. One of my pet hates is not as in 'he is very talented, not' I can't even work out how such a phrase should be punctuated.

mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

"He is very talented... NOT!!!" usually preceded by "wtf?" as in "wtf? He is very talented... NOT!!!" and followed by "lol" e.g. "wtf? He is very talented... NOT!!! lol." Sometimes replaced by the term "teh roksorz" in a sentance like "wtf? He is teh roksorz... NOT!1!" . When using "teh roksorz" it is custmary to include at least one number 1 in the row of multiple exclamation marks to show speed of innacurate typing.
Please refer to google's entries on "lolcats" for more information.

I don't get the sudden obsession with using the word "crème" instead of "cream". crème blusher or eyeshadow from various manufacturers are prime examples of this. why?! we're british. we say "cream". grrr.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

colhut
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

my pet hate recently has to be the americanism of tasked. you can't be tasked to do anything, as it is not a real word! :angry4:
How hard can it be, how long can it take. What could POSSIBLY go wrong

mrsflibble

Are you disrespecting the word tasked?!

(sorry.)

I hate the term "disrespecting".
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very

red

Stonehead wrote:Pride of place in my career file goes to the appraisal that notes "you must learn to curb your colonial directness and bluntness of speech".
:lol:

well I know for a fact that colhut was once told he was being pedantic.. and he told themthat he was "not sure pedantic was exactly the right word...."
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

colhut
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

red wrote: well I know for a fact that colhut was once told he was being pedantic.. and he told themthat he was "not sure pedantic was exactly the right word...."
well, true. I did say that :lol:

I also after being told in an annual appraisal that I came over as being arogant and flipant replied "yeah, but who cares about their opinion"
How hard can it be, how long can it take. What could POSSIBLY go wrong

Millymollymandy

mrsflibble wrote:"He is very talented... NOT!!!" usually preceded by "wtf?" as in "wtf? He is very talented... NOT!!!" and followed by "lol" e.g. "wtf? He is very talented... NOT!!! lol." Sometimes replaced by the term "teh roksorz" in a sentance like "wtf? He is teh roksorz... NOT!1!" . When using "teh roksorz" it is custmary to include at least one number 1 in the row of multiple exclamation marks to show speed of innacurate typing.
Please refer to google's entries on "lolcats" for more information.

I don't get the sudden obsession with using the word "crème" instead of "cream". crème blusher or eyeshadow from various manufacturers are prime examples of this. why?! we're british. we say "cream". grrr.
Can you translate teh roksorz for me please?

Stonehead

Last edited by Stonehead on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ina

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I have no idea what the heck you are all talking about... Am I still in Britain? :?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I once asked a bright young thing what his abbreviation IYNWIM meant. He looked at me oddly and said "If you know what I mean". "Shouldn't that be a K, then" I asked. "Should what be a K?" came the response.

mrsflibble

If we're going to go into gamer/nerd speak, I (0u1d b3gi|\| 7ypi|\|g i|\| 1337 ju57 70 r3411y (0|\|fu53 u, bu7 I'm ki|\|d 50...*

I wont ;)

(*I could start typing in "leet" just to really confuse you, but I'm kind so...)

I have a nerd for a younger brother, we communicate in leet so our mum wont read his darkest thoughts and get worried. some emails just look like pages and pages of code. I do admit though, while Tom can leet-type off the top of his head, I still need a translator lol!

Clara

Jeez that is a mind bender MrsF, I think your little bro needs to get out more if he can do that off the top of his head :lol:
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

Do AnNoYiNg NeEd-To-GeT-oUt-MoRe TyPeS sTiLl TyPe LiKe ThIs, oR dId ThAt DiE OuT?

Still cannot for the life of me work out how doing that is supposed to make communication faster or more pleasant for anyone involved!

I must admit, I only abbreviate in text messages when I'd run out of space otherwise. Even then!

And speaking of these odd forms of pidgin, I find that it's really popular amongst 20-somethings (who usually work in offices) out here to deliberately speak bad English, with an accentuated French accent. So only they know what they're talking about, and they will stubbornly refuse to speak either intelligible English or French. Grrrr!
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

hamster

Brij wrote:Do AnNoYiNg NeEd-To-GeT-oUt-MoRe TyPeS sTiLl TyPe LiKe ThIs, oR dId ThAt DiE OuT?

Still cannot for the life of me work out how doing that is supposed to make communication faster or more pleasant for anyone involved!

I must admit, I only abbreviate in text messages when I'd run out of space otherwise. Even then!

And speaking of these odd forms of pidgin, I find that it's really popular ...
I remember people writing alternate words in upper case and lower case AbitLIKEthisBACKbeforeYOUcouldSEND2or3TEXTSlinked togetherSOyouCOULDuseMOREcharactersINyourTEXTbyNOThavingSPACES.
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

Millymollymandy

Stonehead wrote:Sorz/Zorz is a suffix added to nouns or verbs to accentuate them.

So rockzorz/rokzorz means something/someone truly rocks, suckzorz/sukzorz means to something/someone truly sucks.

It was originally gamer/dork speak, but has unfortunately spread.

Oh, and it's quite common to hear/read it as "OMG, dis iz da rokzorz", usually by people with pseudonyms like "hornyorc", "dev-1L", "DaSnark" and "OpheliaPartz".

Sigh.
OK that's one word, what about 'teh'?